Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need advice on a good pump for my hybrid...

    So I went out to ride my trek fx and noticed that my tires were in need of air so now I'm in process of trying to find a good pump with an accurate gauge. Any suggestions guys? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
    Posts
    5,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topeak Road Morph G is nice because it's not too big to bring with you. It's unusual to puncture a tire while you're at home. The pressure gauge is not highly accurate, but it's good enough. Carry a spare tube, patch kit and tire levers too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Guitarrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
    Topeak Road Morph G is nice because it's not too big to bring with you. It's unusual to puncture a tire while you're at home. The pressure gauge is not highly accurate, but it's good enough. Carry a spare tube, patch kit and tire levers too.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    You could always pick up a goat head from one of middle eastern vendors. Just strap that on your bike and ride it home.

    2011 Raleigh Sojourn

  4. #4
    Junior Member DarkKnight1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pewaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    1988 Cannondale Black Lightning and 2011 Trek 7100
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Joe Blow Sport and it works well. It will work on either Presta or Schrader valves.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman23j View Post
    I'm in process of trying to find a good pump with an accurate gauge.
    Kind of like wanting your cake and eating it.

    Just get a good pump and good gauge. Spend the money and you will not regret it. If you want something that is good then you will have to cough up a little to get it.

    P.S. I went with a Lezyne. http://www.lezyne.com/hand-pumps#panel-2 and got a SKS digital gauge. Love the combination of both. Topeak makes decent products but what sold me on the Lezyne is they actually thread on presta valves rather than pressure seat; thus less loss of air, wasted pump action, and potential wear and tear of the pump itself due to seating/reseating.
    Last edited by jt02gt; 09-28-11 at 09:13 PM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the road morph g and it is a great portable pump. I plan to buy a floor pump for home use.

  7. #7
    Northern CA Researcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I just bought the Topeak RaceRocket HP, and it threads onto the Presta valves. Excellent product, works great.


    Quote Originally Posted by jt02gt View Post
    Topeak makes decent products but what sold me on the Lezyne is they actually thread on presta valves rather than pressure seat; thus less loss of air, wasted pump action, and potential wear and tear of the pump itself due to seating/reseating.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt02gt View Post
    Kind of like wanting your cake and eating it.

    Just get a good pump and good gauge. Spend the money and you will not regret it. If you want something that is good then you will have to cough up a little to get it.

    P.S. I went with a Lezyne. http://www.lezyne.com/hand-pumps#panel-2 and got a SKS digital gauge. Love the combination of both. Topeak makes decent products but what sold me on the Lezyne is they actually thread on presta valves rather than pressure seat; thus less loss of air, wasted pump action, and potential wear and tear of the pump itself due to seating/reseating.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have another quick question, can the Lezyne and the Road morph g also be used well on a mountain bike? Just heard some differing opinions on the road morph g on this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't have any issues with MTB use.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I just noticed that the Lezyne is a presta only pump so I guess I can't get the road drive because my trek 7.2 fx has schrader valves. Any other Lezyne's that are good that work for schraders? Thanks.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally bought a floor pump yesterday. Bought the Bontrager Charge for $30bux. LBS said the gauge is pretty accurate and goes up to 160psi. The only gear I bring with me is my cellphone and wallet when I cycle. My normal route is 24kms and if I do get a flat, I have many people in the area who can pick me up. =P

    When I do expand my route I will probably carry extra gear like pump, tubes, etc. but I ride light for now.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman23j View Post
    Ok I just noticed that the Lezyne is a presta only pump so I guess I can't get the road drive because my trek 7.2 fx has schrader valves. Any other Lezyne's that are good that work for schraders? Thanks.
    It is not presta only, it has a different thread depending on which end of the hose you are using to attach to the valve. I should have some time after work to take some pics to show you what I am talking about.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a joeblow myself and love it
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Along the Rivers of Pittsburgh
    My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road Morph G on the bike, Serfas TCPG at home. Both work well for me, but I only use them on Schrader valves. Both will easily exceed 90 PSI. I also have a separate dial-type gauge to keep 'em honest.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt02gt View Post
    It is not presta only, it has a different thread depending on which end of the hose you are using to attach to the valve. I should have some time after work to take some pics to show you what I am talking about.
    On the Lezyne website it says the Road drive is presta only. That is the reason I bought a pressure drive instead.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair 4 View Post
    Road Morph G on the bike, Serfas TCPG at home. Both work well for me, but I only use them on Schrader valves. Both will easily exceed 90 PSI. I also have a separate dial-type gauge to keep 'em honest.
    How is the Serfas TCPG? I was looking at that pump for use at home.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman23j View Post
    On the Lezyne website it says the Road drive is presta only. That is the reason I bought a pressure drive instead.
    Website=wrong, see the truth below.





    Schrader valve

    Presta valve

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Along the Rivers of Pittsburgh
    My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman23j View Post
    How is the Serfas TCPG? I was looking at that pump for use at home.
    I bought it at REI for about $30 last spring and I use it at least three times a week. The gauge seems accurate (compared to my regular tire gauge) and easy enough to read in the dim light in our basement. It takes about 5 to 7 strokes to pump a 700x35 tire from 60 PSI to 80 PSI, IIRC. The head has a snug fit on a Schrader valve, especially when new, but it's given me no problems with inner tube damage. The bike guy at REI told me it's what they use in the back in the shop area (no idea if that's true or if he was blowing smoke). Serfas's website says it will work on a Presta valve, but I've never tried it. I'll give it a .

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jt02gt, I wish I would of knew that. I would have gotten the road drive instead but I think the Pressure Drive is good enough for me. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •