Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-12, 07:17 AM   #1
amkaos
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
motobecane vs jamis

shopping flatbar bikes.

consider jamis allegro elite vs motobecane cafe bikes.

having hard time seeing anything atall wrong w/ motos.

it is gonna be hassle to find bike local to match geometry of moto for a test ride

thoughts?
thanx
amkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 08:04 AM   #2
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,804
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
If you understand the geometry and comfortable doing your own wrenching, moto should be no problem. If you have questions or doubts about either one, then Jamis- because it comes with a built-in support staff at the LBS.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 10:49 AM   #3
amkaos
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
If you understand the geometry and comfortable doing your own wrenching, moto should be no problem. If you have questions or doubts about either one, then Jamis- because it comes with a built-in support staff at the LBS.
if the package starts out fine, im fine w/ online support.
im interested in opinions of bang for the buck, and other real world comparisons.

moto is out of stock for now, i ask now to be ready when stock comes in.

i think i dont understand why moto rep among actual users is sparse or negative.

seems like a fine product at very reasonable price

thnx
amkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 02:31 PM   #4
bjjoondo 
Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Bikes: 1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been VERY happy with my "Jamis" purchases this year. Bought a 2012 Jamis Coda Sport, switched to "trekking bars" and this is my "road bike". Then picked up a left over Jamis Allegro 1 and switched components to make it more of a "dirt path/utility" machine. I've had Jamis since 2009 and their service has been excellent, had a frame weld crack on a MTB, Jamis "rushed" me a new frame, from the next level up model and paid the LBS to swap everything over, can't beat that!
__________________
Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
B.J. Ondo
1993 Mongoose Switchback Ridged MTB, converted to a "Rail Trail Bike"! :)

Last edited by bjjoondo; 03-08-12 at 02:35 PM.
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:12 PM   #5
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,804
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
if the package starts out fine, im fine w/ online support.
im interested in opinions of bang for the buck, and other real world comparisons.

moto is out of stock for now, i ask now to be ready when stock comes in.

i think i dont understand why moto rep among actual users is sparse or negative.

seems like a fine product at very reasonable price

thnx
Moto doesn't have a bad rep among the people who have bought them- actually, no body really trash talks anything from BD. It's BD that irks people, due to how they hyperinflate the MSRP of their bikes. Add in the fact that complete newbs who order from BD sometimes end up at the LBS to do the assembly and adjustments, the price savings just went away before they even take it fora spin. But the BD or other online source vs. LBS is a long running topic of discussion on these boards, so I'm done commenting on it.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:35 PM   #6
amkaos
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanx for comments and pic
@bjjoondo: i am surprised that you changed handlebar setup.. just personal preference.. your bike looks nice,, customer service is always a deal breaker for me.

@no1mad: hyperinflate is a big word and this really surprised me.. for the same money that they deliver a product, another manufacturer ( read: that i am considering ) delivers waay less. so a comparable setup does cost way more..

i would appreciate some clarification; as i am not very smart .

this is my 2nd hybrid.. i look at ::

raleigh cadent ft3

jamis allegro pro

now moto cafe century or century pro..

whichever they get that fits and soonest..

thanx
amkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:49 PM   #7
Pendergast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
i think i dont understand why moto rep among actual users is sparse or negative.
thnx

I agree with no1mad that a lot of that is coming from people who are not actual owners. I consider myself to be primarily a road cyclist, and I think there's an element of snobbery in the road biking community that feeds into trash talking Bikes Direct bikes. I don't see nearly as much negativity toward Bikes Direct on cyclocross forums or mtb forums.
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:59 PM   #8
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MSRP on BD is the same on the manufacturer's site. Most brands on BD that has their own website does match same MSRP as BD. Like the Fuji and Motobecane brand etc. If it was me (purchasing for myself). I wouldn't get anything lower than a Motobecane Sprint. That's if you're thinking of getting a Motobecane flat bar road bike. Why? Because it has a better crankset. My wife has the Motobecane Cafe Latte and the crankset looks and feels a bit weak, when comparing to my 2010 Fuji Absolute 2.0. It's probably okay for her, since she's is small and does not weigh too much.

It's a great bike for the money though. Also I don't like the handle bars. It has the foam type grips.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:01 PM   #9
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now the Century or Century Pro that is a great deal and great bikes. I was thinking, if one day that I retire the Fuji. I might want to get the Cafe Century Pro myself.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:13 PM   #10
Pendergast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
MSRP on BD is the same on the manufacturer's site.
Yeah, but the brands owned by BD(Motobecane, Mercier, Gravity, and I'm probably forgetting a couple more) are never sold anywhere at the MSRP. For what you actually get, I don't think the BD MSRP's are inflated much compared to what you get for the money from other bike companies. I find it a little amusing that in bike buyer's guides and reviews of BD bikes in magazines, it's always the MSRP listed without mention that the bikes really sell for way less than that.
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:26 PM   #11
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
Yeah, but the brands owned by BD(Motobecane, Mercier, Gravity, and I'm probably forgetting a couple more) are never sold anywhere at the MSRP. For what you actually get, I don't think the BD MSRP's are inflated much compared to what you get for the money from other bike companies. I find it a little amusing that in bike buyer's guides and reviews of BD bikes in magazines, it's always the MSRP listed without mention that the bikes really sell for way less than that.
It has the MSRP and the current price on the page in BD. So purchasing a bike that sells lower than the MSRP is bad?

To me, there's nothing bad about BD's bikes. As long as you know what you want (size, type of bike, components etc). I think the only reason maybe why LBS or certain peoples hate BD so much, is because they can't compare prices. When comparing to same quality bikes as BD. For that BD and other online retailers are taking more customers away from the LBS.

I mean, if I was the LBS. I'll be piss myself.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:29 PM   #12
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buying direct does save you money. Either diamonds or bikes.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:31 PM   #13
Pendergast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
What I'm saying is that certain brands sold by Bikes Direct are actually owned by Bikes Direct. Bikes Direct could stick an MSRP on there that's 10 times what they're actually selling a bike for if they wanted to.
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:35 PM   #14
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look, all you have to do is compare. Compare other brand name bikes that has the same components, frame etc and it would be around the same MSRP. Just because a brand or a retailer can sell their bikes cheaper. Doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:41 PM   #15
Pendergast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
No, it's not a bad thing. I even own a Motobecane Le Champion Ti from Bikes Direct and am very happy with it.
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:43 PM   #16
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
No, it's not a bad thing. I even own a Motobecane Le Champion Ti from Bikes Direct and am very happy with it.
...and that's a good thing.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 04:56 PM   #17
cyclistbrian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP - If you are experienced with bike assembly and things like the basic tune up the bike will need after a few miles of use, buying online makes sense if you like the bike. If you're not you're going to end up paying a shop and if the point is to save money, you likely won't. If the online retailer has something unique that may not matter to you. I'd say the same thing whether you were looking at BD or some other online retailer like Performance or REI. I've never had a BD bike but a I've seen a few up close on club rides and they seem fine.
cyclistbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 05:08 PM   #18
Pendergast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Pricepoint also markets that way with their house brand Sette(MSRP and actual selling price). Pretty good bike deals there, too, but you have to add in shipping cost.

The amount of saddle to bar drop on the photo of their flat bar road bike makes me chuckle. I mean, who's really going to do that? http://ww.w.pricepoint.com/detail/21...-Road-Bike.htm
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 05:25 PM   #19
amkaos
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
Pricepoint also markets that way with their house brand Sette(MSRP and actual selling price). Pretty good bike deals there, too, but you have to add in shipping cost.

The amount of saddle to bar drop on the photo of their flat bar road bike makes me chuckle. I mean, who's really going to do that? http://ww.w.pricepoint.com/detail/21...-Road-Bike.htm
my mind wants saddle and grip to be level..idk any better tho.. i come from hybrid..

i read BD FAQ.. then emailed them w/ questions..
i went from excluding moto completely to making it a most likely choice..
i still welcome all input but thanx for all input so far...
amkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 05:50 PM   #20
SlimRider
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I were you, I'd go with the Jamis Coda Sport. Regardless of your age, you'll most likely never have to purchase another bicycle in your entire life, due to its chromoly steel construction. Within five or six years, all of your major components would have been upgraded, and you'll essentially be riding a Jamis Coda Elite (w/o the disc brakes).

The Jamis Coda Series, won the editor's choice award of Bicycling Magazine, for being the best hybrid of 2011.

- Slim
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 07:57 PM   #21
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll still save money, even if you purchase from BD and took the bike to the LBS and get it tune and adjusted. That's because you'll save up to $200 or even more when buying from BD. When comparing to similar bikes at the LBS.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 08:13 PM   #22
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,804
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
You'll still save money, even if you purchase from BD and took the bike to the LBS and get it tune and adjusted. That's because you'll save up to $200 or even more when buying from BD. When comparing to similar bikes at the LBS.
But what if you have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever? Then you have to take it to the LBS, which adds about $75 to price around here to assemble something they didn't sell.

Add in the fact that when buying from the LBS, some of things like grips, tires, stems can be swapped out for little to no charge before leaving the store. You buy from BD, any ergonomic/comfort/fit changes you have to pay full price for.

Bottom line is that BD makes sense for those that understand their wants/needs, have at least enough mechanical aptitude to do basic adjustments, and possibly have some spare parts/tools laying around already. Most of that stuff only comes through experience. Noobs lack that experience and would be better served in the long run to rely on the LBS for their first (and possibly second and third) purchases.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 08:39 PM   #23
ChowChow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
But what if you have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever? Then you have to take it to the LBS, which adds about $75 to price around here to assemble something they didn't sell.

Add in the fact that when buying from the LBS, some of things like grips, tires, stems can be swapped out for little to no charge before leaving the store. You buy from BD, any ergonomic/comfort/fit changes you have to pay full price for.

Bottom line is that BD makes sense for those that understand their wants/needs, have at least enough mechanical aptitude to do basic adjustments, and possibly have some spare parts/tools laying around already. Most of that stuff only comes through experience. Noobs lack that experience and would be better served in the long run to rely on the LBS for their first (and possibly second and third) purchases.
I do agreed with you about that you need to know what you want and be mechanical enough to do the adjustments, if buying from BD or online. Although I/we have mention about it many times already. Every LBS is different, so you can't really count on the free and not free stuffs that you can get.

My 2010 Fuji Absolute 2.0 cost me $399 at BD. Comparing to a Trek 7.5 I would have to spend more than $700. More like $800-$900 and that's on the cheap side. When I found the Fuji on BD and it was price at $399. I look online to fine how much other places is selling the same bike for and the closes I found was $549 and $649-$699. Same year and everything. So yeah, I did save a lot purchasing from BD. Although Nashbar has a better deal on the 2010 Fuji Absolute 1.0 ($599). Just a step up from mines.
ChowChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 07:37 AM   #24
amkaos
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
If I were you, I'd go with the Jamis Coda Sport. Regardless of your age, you'll most likely never have to purchase another bicycle in your entire life, due to its chromoly steel construction. Within five or six years, all of your major components would have been upgraded, and you'll essentially be riding a Jamis Coda Elite (w/o the disc brakes).

The Jamis Coda Series, won the editor's choice award of Bicycling Magazine, for being the best hybrid of 2011.

- Slim
i couldnt find a real review to read; why is it the winner, pros cons etc..
specs point to moto. geometrys are different.. but i dont find comparisons about frame quality.
especially when its claimed that all big names are made in just a few factories together side by side

if a jamis is expected to upgrade all components, how far would it go. how much to spend.

im gonna go to jamis dealer today or tomm.. i can find out what they would charge for upgrades.. i cant really tell real world geometry till i see it..

i keep my bike tuned myself; anything i dont know, you tube does.

thanx
amkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 05:37 PM   #25
bjjoondo 
Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Bikes: 1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
thanx for comments and pic
@bjjoondo: i am surprised that you changed handlebar setup.. just personal preference.. your bike looks nice,, customer service is always a deal breaker for me.

@no1mad: hyperinflate is a big word and this really surprised me.. for the same money that they deliver a product, another manufacturer ( read: that i am considering ) delivers waay less. so a comparable setup does cost way more..


i would appreciate some clarification; as i am not very smart .

this is my 2nd hybrid.. i look at ::

raleigh cadent ft3

jamis allegro pro

now moto cafe century or century pro..

whichever they get that fits and soonest..

thanx

The handlebar is stock, just went to an "adjustable stem", both my wife and I have "old whiplass" injury problems to this day and the normal, 10 to 20 degree stem that comes OEM on most bikes is quite painful. On my Coda Sport and her KHS Vitamin B (flat bar road bikes), we had the LBS switch out the OEM stem for 35 degree (angle) stems, mine 110mm and her's 90mm (she has SHORT arms). So yes, it's personal preference. The Allegro 1, which is the bottom line Allegro for 2011 is my "Utility/All purpose" bike, put on MTB gearing, fatter, more treaded tires and the adjustable stem so it could be set for different styles of riding. LOL, think of it as a "poor mans" cyclo-cross bike! ENJOY whatever you end up with, all look like good choices to me!
__________________
Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
B.J. Ondo
1993 Mongoose Switchback Ridged MTB, converted to a "Rail Trail Bike"! :)
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 PM.