Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-12, 12:05 PM   #1
nexium
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuji Absolute 5.0. Would you buy this?

Here is the link to the bike. http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-50-usa

I am going to be riding on a "Towpath" basically, it is paved, gravel and in some areas, dirt.

My LBS has this for $300 new. I am looking at 3 bikes.

1) Fuji Absolute 5.0($300)
2) Giant Cypress ST($300)
3) Trek 7000($439)

What would you choose?
nexium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 12:20 PM   #2
Igo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Henderson/Las Vegas NV
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Giant Escape 1. You will not like that Fuji in any kind of real dirt with 28c tires.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 01:43 PM   #3
addictedhealer
Senior Member
 
addictedhealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Bikes:
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-30-usa3
Id spend the extra coin get this one.
addictedhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 02:14 PM   #4
fez_
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads, VA!
Bikes: 2013 Giant TCR Composite 2, 2012 Giant Escape 1
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go for the Giant Escape1, which is around $450-$500

or the Escape2 ($350-$400)
fez_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 08:07 PM   #5
nexium
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fez_ View Post
Go for the Giant Escape1, which is around $450-$500

or the Escape2 ($350-$400)
What is the main difference? I would like to be a serious biker in the future, but I need to cut some weight and I need a starter bike. Let me know please
nexium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 10:19 PM   #6
Igo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Henderson/Las Vegas NV
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
28c tire is too narrow for dirt for one thing.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 11:15 PM   #7
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexium View Post
... I would like to be a serious biker in the future, but I need to cut some weight and I need a starter bike...
I believe that if you are going to continue "seriously" in the future, buy a bike new or used bike which has a solid looking fork, integrated headset (NOT THREADED), minimum 9 speed cassette, clamp on stem for 25.4 bars or 31.8 bars, wheels laced with min 32 spokes.
This will alow you to upgrade at will, with minimun problems once you get "serious".
There are endless threads on the hybrid forum, of people wanting to "upgrade" just months after they buy their bike. The best idea is to buy a decent bike with the good gear first up, instead of stuffing around after a few weeks wondering "what I should upgrade".
For your $300 / $400, I seriously would be going for a good used bike.

eg. this in used http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-20-usa3

Last edited by giantcfr1; 06-18-12 at 11:32 PM.
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 11:41 PM   #8
SlimRider
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome To Bike Forums, Nexium!

I say, buy the Giant Cypress ST! I say this because, at this price point, you're getting a nice chromoly steel frame. This frame will last you a very long time. The components on the frame can all be eventually replaced with much better components. Once you've upgraded your components, say within the next five to six years, with the addition of a nice rack, fenders, and perhaps a Brooks saddle, you'll have a bike that most other cyclists can only dream about....

You'll have a comfort hybrid that will be perfect for short commutes, grocery shopping, sight-seeing, park riding, general exercise, and the dirt trails.

The Giant Cypress.ST ~ $350
www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/cypress.st/9019/48871/

PS.

Personally, I'd wait just about two or three years, then I'd spend one summer weekend converting it to a 9 speed with an XT Gruppo.

Last edited by SlimRider; 06-19-12 at 10:29 PM.
SlimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 07:51 AM   #9
erg79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
I believe that if you are going to continue "seriously" in the future, buy a bike new or used bike which has a solid looking fork, integrated headset (NOT THREADED), minimum 9 speed cassette, clamp on stem for 25.4 bars or 31.8 bars, wheels laced with min 32 spokes.
This will alow you to upgrade at will, with minimun problems once you get "serious".
There are endless threads on the hybrid forum, of people wanting to "upgrade" just months after they buy their bike. The best idea is to buy a decent bike with the good gear first up, instead of stuffing around after a few weeks wondering "what I should upgrade".
For your $300 / $400, I seriously would be going for a good used bike.

eg. this in used http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-20-usa3
I agree with this approach, but I know there is a drawback to trying to find a good quality used bike when you're just starting out. On the other hand, you could find yourself a nice used hardtail mountain bike that would be great for your intended use, and which you'd probably still enjoy riding even after you got "serious"...and which would be cheaper than the new bikes you're considering now.
erg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 06:50 AM   #10
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erg79 View Post
....On the other hand, you could find yourself a nice used hardtail mountain bike that would be great for your intended use, and which you'd probably still enjoy riding even after you got "serious"...and which would be cheaper than the new bikes you're considering now.
I agree 100 percent. Although many will disagree, I think a good used rigid forked hardtail is a great alternative to a `hybrid`. Basically throw some semi-slicks on and you`re set.
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 AM.