Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Hybrid tires

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hybrid tires

    Hi, new to the forums. Like the site so far.
    My wife and I both ride Raleigh hybrids...she a C-40 and I a Detour 4.5
    I am looking to change out her tires. Currently she rides 700x38. What affect would there be switching to a 700x35 if any. Mostly ride road & packed RailTrails. Also, any suggestions on tires & tubes. Mine are Kenda K-195 Kouriers which I do like but a little harder to find.
    Thanks in advance, Joe

  2. #2
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2travelers View Post
    Hi, new to the forums. Like the site so far.
    My wife and I both ride Raleigh hybrids...she a C-40 and I a Detour 4.5
    I am looking to change out her tires. Currently she rides 700x38. What affect would there be switching to a 700x35 if any. Mostly ride road & packed RailTrails. Also, any suggestions on tires & tubes. Mine are Kenda K-195 Kouriers which I do like but a little harder to find.
    Thanks in advance, Joe
    Hi Joe, what's the purpose of wanting to change her tyre? I don't think the 3mm will make any difference in relation to tyres that wide.
    If she wants speed and less rolling resistance compared to the 38mm, how about going down to a 32mm Kenda Small Block Eight. A bit expensive maybe, but are a lovely tyre for the road and packed trails.

    You may have to check the tubes in her tyre for compatability, as you may have to buy smaller tubes. I'm currently using those tyres with Vittoria Ultralite tubes. Also when you swap, check the quality of her rim tape. They are a major source of punctures. You will know when your punctures are from worn rim tape, the holes will be like a snake bite.

    Last edited by giantcfr1; 06-17-12 at 07:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops?...did forget to mention I was replacing her tires because they are just simply worn and time for new. I think they may be original. I will also change out old tubes so I could go to 32's. She enjoys road a little more but will still do cinder or hard pack trails so I assume she'd like the 32's.

  4. #4
    Igo
    Igo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Henderson/Las Vegas NV
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your "hard pack" is relatively stable then 32s would be perfect. If you ride 90% in the road then I'd get relatively high tire pressures, 85psi+. You'll have to use your best judgement when it comes to how aggressive the tread will be. Heavy tread in like riding over large aggregate surfaces. Modest tread is like riding over very smooth roads. If you are riding in gravel, don't ignore tread altogether though for sure.
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

    Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    6,495
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to give an idea of what you CAN do, I switched to 26MM tires (from 35MM) on my 20MM wide rims without issue.
    MUCH faster acceleration and MUCH less rolling resistance.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Terrierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SWMO
    Posts
    3,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continental Top Contact 700 x 32. A very good tire for a wide range of conditions and uses. Tubes don't matter to me, whatever is on sale.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

  7. #7
    Igo
    Igo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Henderson/Las Vegas NV
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    Just to give an idea of what you CAN do, I switched to 26MM tires (from 35MM) on my 20MM wide rims without issue.
    MUCH faster acceleration and MUCH less rolling resistance.
    Bill, you were one of the first to give me advice on faster tires. Check this out when you are finished here. Post #27.
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Escape-1/page2
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

    Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

  8. #8
    Igo
    Igo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Henderson/Las Vegas NV
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Continental Top Contact 700 x 32. A very good tire for a wide range of conditions and uses. Tubes don't matter to me, whatever is on sale.
    I've looked hard and long at those Top Contact tires. I've NEVER flatted my 25c Gaterskins on my Defy now I have a set of 23c for my APEX 2.1
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

    Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

  9. #9
    I let the dogs out AlphaDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    ...MUCH faster acceleration...
    It's likely that you are accelerating faster because narrower tires generally weigh less than wider tires, which allows the rotational mass to be lower, resulting in faster acceleration.
    http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...6at14619PM.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post
    intellect? we don't need so stinking intellect. this is the 41.
    Quote Originally Posted by eric01 View Post
    And this is why I don't ride aluminum frames... they will explode if I look at it wrong.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    6,495
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alphadogg View Post
    it's likely that you are accelerating faster because narrower tires generally weigh less than wider tires, which allows the rotational mass to be lower, resulting in faster acceleration.
    duh!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Lexi01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0
    Posts
    659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
    Hi Joe, what's the purpose of wanting to change her tyre? I don't think the 3mm will make any difference in relation to tyres that wide.
    If she wants speed and less rolling resistance compared to the 38mm, how about going down to a 32mm Kenda Small Block Eight.
    I actually doubt you'll notice the difference in 38 to 32...

    Before you choose a new tyre check out the technical bit of the Schwalbe website...it'll tell you what size tyres they recommend for different rim widths (ask your LBS or email wheel manufacturer for the inside rim width). I find it pretty handy cos I like to use my hybrid on the road sometimes and I whack on a set of 50mm conti cross tyres and take it on some single track too.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    Just to give an idea of what you CAN do, I switched to 26MM tires (from 35MM) on my 20MM wide rims without issue.
    MUCH faster acceleration and MUCH less rolling resistance.
    Is that the inner or outer width of the rim?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    6,495
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdavis View Post
    Is that the inner or outer width of the rim?
    Inner. Where the rubber meets the rim. Mine are actually 19.5MM from the closest point, but are considered 20's.
    Measuring outer doesn't mean too much since rim flange thickness etc. can vary noticeably.
    I'd have no problem going as small as a 25MM tire.
    For "grins" I mounted a 23MM tire on one of my back up wheels. The rim is VERY SLIGHTLY wider than the tire. Don't think I'd recommend that combination!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, my rims are 21mm inner width (manufacturer claim) but they only recommend the smallest tire to be 35mm. However, on their website they advertise 27mm rim width which is the outside. Only looking on the little sticker does it say 622x21.

  15. #15
    Igo
    Igo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Henderson/Las Vegas NV
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdavis View Post
    Interesting, my rims are 21mm inner width (manufacturer claim) but they only recommend the smallest tire to be 35mm. However, on their website they advertise 27mm rim width which is the outside. Only looking on the little sticker does it say 622x21.
    I have 28c on my 622x19 rims. That is the narrowest tire I could put on those rims supposedly.
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

    Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies. After doing some searching I ended up buying a set of Nashbar Comfort tires for her on sale for just under $20 for the two. Couldn't beat the price. They are 700x38's but as the reviews stated run a bit smaller and are about 32. Treat seams good for hardback trail and center for road. Have them mounted and ready to go tomorrow so we'll see how she likes them. For the price, could not go wrong.
    thanks again.

  17. #17
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2travelers View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. After doing some searching I ended up buying a set of Nashbar Comfort tires for her on sale for just under $20 for the two. Couldn't beat the price. They are 700x38's but as the reviews stated run a bit smaller and are about 32. Treat seams good for hardback trail and center for road. Have them mounted and ready to go tomorrow so we'll see how she likes them. For the price, could not go wrong.
    thanks again.
    Have fun out there.

  18. #18
    Senior Member PatrickGSR94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Memphis TN area
    Posts
    3,590
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    For "grins" I mounted a 23MM tire on one of my back up wheels. The rim is VERY SLIGHTLY wider than the tire. Don't think I'd recommend that combination!
    Some people like that kind of thing

    2011 Felt Z85 105 | Ultegra | KMC | Selle Italia | Vuelta
    90's-ish KHS Alite 1000 MTB, *hybridized*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •