Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Member, First purchase and need advise

    I am trying to look at bikes now and it gets all confusing but I have it down to 3 different ones and i'm hoping to get great advice on which to get with.
    I'm a total newb, don't know the lingo and whatnot but i'm all about learning and taking as much great advice as i can

    1. Giant Roam 1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....1/9024/48881/

    2. Cannondale Trail SL 29'ER 5 or 4
    http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes...l-29er-5-20765

    3. Trek DS 8.4
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...eries/8_4_ds/#

    Gonna take a week and make the plunge

    Thx
    Tony

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Tony! I'm in the same boat myself, as I've recently been researching/shopping/riding dual sport-type hybrids for over a month now with the intention of investing in my first REAL bike. I'm still a newbie myself, so consider my advice as you see fit. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

    The first thing that jumps out at me about your list is the fact that you're comparing the Giant Roam 1 to the Trek 8.4 and the Cannondale SL 5 - both of which are probably $200 more than the Roam 1. Have you considered the Giant Roam 0? The only reason I mention it is because it's more closely comparable to the other two models, and in the same price range.

    My first visit to my local bike shop, I was looking at the Trek FX models. After seeing them in person, I felt I'd be better off with a Trek DS as the FX looked flimsy to me... almost like a flat bar road bike. Don't get me wrong, the FX is a great looking bike and MUCH lighter than what I'm looking at now - I just fear it may not be durable enough for riding loose trails, hopping curbs, etc. The salesman directed me to the DS model instead, but also recommended the Giant Roam (both the 1 and the 0) stating that I'd be getting more for my $ with the Roam than a similarly priced DS model. Not sure what prices are like in your area, but the Roam 0 is a little less expensive than the DS 8.4, and they're quite comparable as far as features and components.

    As for the Cannondale, you're getting a better suspension fork, but I find it's at the price of lesser components compared to the others. I've sort of written off Cannondale in my search if only for price. I just think you can stretch your dollar better with other brands.

    Personally, the Giant Roam 0 is at the top of my list right now. However, if you're not considering the Roam 0 and are limited to the three models that you've mentioned, I'd probably go with the Trek DS 8.4.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply, I feel so much like a fish out of water with bikes.

    I know it'll sound weird but i totally don't dig white bikes. And from all i have seem the Roam 0 only comes in white. I know it sounds dumb but just seem so bland to me. The Roam 1 didn't seem like much of a step-down and the DS 8.4 seemed to not really outweigh the Roam 1 by that much, my thinking anyways.

    As for the Cannondale, i was completely shocked by all the bad reviews and the price once i called a few bike shops. I am like wow, when i see the parts compared to a Roam 0/1.

    Right now the choice i guess is down to the Roam and Trek...........ahhhhhhhhh, it's just a bike but when you're spending 6-700 it becomes crazy.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gekswag03 View Post
    I know it'll sound weird but i totally don't dig white bikes.
    You know, if you hate looking at a white bike, that's going to bug you every day you own it. It may be superficial, but it's true. It's your bike, you might as well love it. Get something you'll love.

    Quote Originally Posted by gekswag03 View Post
    Right now the choice i guess is down to the Roam and Trek...........ahhhhhhhhh, it's just a bike but when you're spending 6-700 it becomes crazy.
    Have you test ridden either? That will tell you immediately which one you like better.

  5. #5
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tony welcome! What kind of riding to you plan on doing (commuting, long rides, puttering around town doing errands)? Road only, unpaved paths, trails? Are you loo What is your height/weight? What is your budget?

    PS: Your links are all broken.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    1,140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't plan to go off-road at all, shock absorbers are not required - in fact, they'll just reduce efficiency - or so I've been told I'm new too, just bought a Giant Escape 2 and went through the same confusion at first. A1penguin's questions are excellent, unless you can answer them, you will find it hard to find the correct bike.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BijouBikeNoob View Post
    You know, if you hate looking at a white bike, that's going to bug you every day you own it. It may be superficial, but it's true. It's your bike, you might as well love it. Get something you'll love.


    Have you test ridden either? That will tell you immediately which one you like better.
    I have test rode both and it really didn't make it any easier. both had some getting used to, since my expertise is a walmart/target special. I really don't know much about bike parts, i guess so that is my challenge now. Frames on both seems really good from reviews, next is parts and of course you can upgrade but i just want the most bang for my buck..........right???

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1penguin View Post
    Hey Tony welcome! What kind of riding to you plan on doing (commuting, long rides, puttering around town doing errands)? Road only, unpaved paths, trails? Are you loo What is your height/weight? What is your budget?

    PS: Your links are all broken.
    Thx for the welcome, lets see....i plan and on all kind of riding. I will be doing street, beach, gravel and trails. Nothing super hardcore but beginner and intermediate ones.
    I'm 5'7 and 255

    Grrrr.......stupid links, lets try again

    Roam 1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....1/9024/48881/

    Trek DS 8.4
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...eries/8_4_ds/#

    Cannondale Trail SL 29'ER 5
    http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes...l-29er-5-20765

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gekswag03 View Post
    Thx for the welcome, lets see....i plan and on all kind of riding. I will be doing street, beach, gravel and trails. Nothing super hardcore but beginner and intermediate ones.
    I'm 5'7 and 255

    I think you should skip the suspended forks, and at 5' 7", I would recommend that you get the Marin Muirwoods bike at $630.

    The Marin Muirwoods ~ $630
    www.marinbikes.com/2012/bike_specs.php?serilanum=2207&Muirwoods

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    I think you should skip the suspended forks, and at 5' 7", I would recommend that you get the Marin Muirwoods bike at $630.

    The Marin Muirwoods ~ $630
    www.marinbikes.com/2012/bike_specs.php?serilanum=2207&Muirwoods
    Why should i skip the fork?? I actually like the idea........
    Being 5'7....not sure i get what you mean, can you explain?? I honestly don't like even the look of the Marin, I really think a Roam or Trek are for me.
    I also have been looking at Specialized Crosstrail

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gekswag03 View Post
    Why should i skip the fork?? I actually like the idea........
    Being 5'7....not sure i get what you mean, can you explain?? I honestly don't like even the look of the Marin, I really think a Roam or Trek are for me.
    I also have been looking at Specialized Crosstrail
    Hi there Gekswag03!

    You stated that you were interested in a 29er bike. The 29er bikes work best with taller people. The Marin Muirwoods has a 26 inch wheel. That gives you a lower profile, as you'll be closer to the ground. People who are not as tall as others, generally feel more comfortable when on 26 ers than on 29ers.

    Also, unless you're going traverse over a bunch of stumps, rocks, roots, and crevices, you really don't need a suspended fork. That just more moveable parts that will eventually not function properly. You will then have to replace the fork. Decent forks are expensive. Forks on inexpensive bikes, are earmarked for early failure, with frequent use. In most cases, it's best to avoid suspended forks, unless you're going to get a bonafide mountain bike, in anticipation of some serious single track or XC mountain side riding.

    PS.

    The Muirwoods looks much better in person. It's not too photogenic!
    Last edited by SlimRider; 07-12-12 at 02:31 PM.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    Hi there Gekswag03!

    You stated that you were interested in a 29er bike. The 29er bikes work best with taller people. The Marin Muirwoods has a 26 inch wheel. That gives you a lower profile, as you'll be closer to the ground. People who are not as tall as others, generally feel more comfortable when on 26 ers than on 29ers.

    Also, unless you're going traverse over a bunch of stumps, rocks, roots, and crevices, you really don't need a suspended fork. That just more moveable parts that will eventually not function properly. You will then have to replace the fork. Decent forks are expensive. Forks on inexpensive bikes, are earmarked for early failure, with frequent use. In most cases, it's best to avoid suspended forks, unless you're going to get a bonafide mountain bike, in anticipation of some serious single track or XC mountain side riding.

    PS.

    The Muirwoods looks much better in person. It's not too photogenic!



    Got cha....well, the 29'Er was more of a friends idea but he's a hardcore guy so that was never really in the pic but i do have a question.

    What do you think of Specialized, i'm really liking the Crosstrail Sport Disc
    http://thebikepalace.com/?btp_produc...ail-sport-disc

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gekswag03 View Post
    Got cha....well, the 29'Er was more of a friends idea but he's a hardcore guy so that was never really in the pic but i do have a question.

    What do you think of Specialized, i'm really liking the Crosstrail Sport Disc
    http://thebikepalace.com/?btp_produc...ail-sport-disc
    Alright Gekswag03!

    I've already submitted my opinion concerning suspended forks at that price range. Other, than the fork, it looks like a great bike. If you use the lockout feature most of the time, you should be just fine.

    If you like it, grab it!

    PS.

    IMO, you should test ride the Crosstrail and the Trek DS 8.4 on the same day, before pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by SlimRider; 07-12-12 at 06:46 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Specialized Crosstrail is a decent bike. I'd echo Slim's advice, unless you're doing mountain bike trails (single track, XC), front suspension is just going to add weight and slow you down. Suspension isn't needed for light dirt and gravel paths, either.

    If you're going to do some novice mountain bike trails, that's a different matter. The bikes you mentioned will do light duty. Hardcore trails you'll want a better mountain bike.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on doing beginner to intermediate trails, as well as city and beach riding. Nothing way crazy where i need to be doing jumps and things of that sort.

    I did see some videos from a guy called, "zerogravity" or something like that and he is a Trek 8.4 and does some good trails at the Fullerton Loop. This is really all i'm trying to get to
    so that's why i believe i need to get a bike with front suspension. I think i'm going to take another look at the Roam 0, i hate white but it's a great bike. Also, the CrossTrail Sport Disc
    and the Trek 8.4 and make a decision in the next week.

    I will test all the same day though as suggested, i think that's a great idea.

    Thank for the help and guidance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •