Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rear Derailleur - broken

    Hi all,

    Just bought a Cannondale Bad Boy Solo 2011 from ebay.

    Bike came, all ok, except rear derailleur was broken off the frame.

    Here are some pics: http://imgur.com/a/Q4JZu


    How much this kind of repair can cost? I got it to a local shop (not very good google reviews) and it's been there a day now (they are looking for the part).

    Also, after repair, will this hinder bike quality or performance?

    Bike was delivered by UPS, can they be held liable for this damage?

    Thanks for help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member paulkal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Holland
    My Bikes
    2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent
    Posts
    750
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like only the drop out has broken, which should be easy and cheap to replace. This part is designed to brake easy, before anything expensive is damaged.
    After the repair the bike will like new.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,249
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get the replacement hanger from any Cannondale dealer, alternatively most good LBS should be able to get Wheels Manufacturing parts http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hang...=Cannondale&q= you need hanger 110, as you have said you have a 2011 model.

    This is a fix you should be able to do at home, all you need to do is undo the bolts on the frame, and undo the RD, replace the hanger, and re-attach the RD to it.

  4. #4
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er
    Posts
    4,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be one of the cool cats and convert to single speed. It's all the rage.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    You can get the replacement hanger from any Cannondale dealer, alternatively most good LBS should be able to get Wheels Manufacturing parts http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hang...=Cannondale&q= you need hanger 110, as you have said you have a 2011 model.

    This is a fix you should be able to do at home, all you need to do is undo the bolts on the frame, and undo the RD, replace the hanger, and re-attach the RD to it.
    I already gave it to the store, you think I should take it back and do it myself?

    Person at store said that she needs to order part which will cost around 35$ and plus labor, said i'm looking at around 60$...

    p.s.
    Its not Cannondale shop.

  6. #6
    just pokin' along desertdork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannondale dealer near you would probably have part in stock. Hangers like that typically run <$30, even as low as $20. If you have a C-dale shop, I'd make the call for availability/cost/timeframe and take the bike there if it's the better option.

    Installing the hanger properly isn't as easy as turning a few bolts. You also want to check the hanger alignment before installing the RD, and doing that requires a special tool. The RD may also need to be tuned.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,249
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdork View Post
    Installing the hanger properly isn't as easy as turning a few bolts. You also want to check the hanger alignment before installing the RD, and doing that requires a special tool. The RD may also need to be tuned.
    Yes it is, that's the whole point of replaceable hangers, as long as the RD isn't bent or damaged, you unbolt the broken hanger, fit the new one, re-fit the RD and ride off, the OP has a Alu bike, if you had a steel / Ti bike with a non-replaceable hanger, then you need to get out the DAG-2.

  8. #8
    just pokin' along desertdork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaceable hangers are sacrificial bits that help avoid more costly damage to the RD and dropout/frame. That's the reason for being replaceable.

    A good mechanic will verify the hanger alignment when installing a new hanger. Someone can slap a new hanger on, skip the alignment check, and be just fine. Kinda like mounting a new tire on a vehicle without balancing.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdork View Post
    Replaceable hangers are sacrificial bits that help avoid more costly damage to the RD and dropout/frame. That's the reason for being replaceable.

    A good mechanic will verify the hanger alignment when installing a new hanger. Someone can slap a new hanger on, skip the alignment check, and be just fine. Kinda like mounting a new tire on a vehicle without balancing.
    How much do LBS charge labor for this?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •