Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need help deciding between two starter bikes!

    Hello all!

    I haven't ridden in a while but always loved it. I'm going to start riding again and almost made the mistake of buying a schwinn or Denali from Target. Visited a couple local bike shops and narrowed my choices down to the following:
    Giant Escape 2 for $419
    Raleigh Cadent FT0 for $450

    Will I notice any real difference between the two? Visually, the Raleigh is much more appealing but I've heard SO many good things about the Escape. I also cannot find much literature online about the Raleigh model I've selected but the owner of the bike store said he loves it. ANY help is greatly appreciated!

    Thank You!
    Shaun

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice you're being ignored... like me
    This is a strange planet we're most people who read posts seem to have own their heads right up their ....
    Look down the list of posts that have zero response...then compare this to the posts who have the most responses

    I'm off permanenty btw

    Why not post something about train spotting - you'll get millions of replies

  3. #3
    Senior Member dhunley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andcb View Post
    I notice you're being ignored... like me
    This is a strange planet we're most people who read posts seem to have own their heads right up their ....
    Look down the list of posts that have zero response...then compare this to the posts who have the most responses

    I'm off permanenty btw

    Why not post something about train spotting - you'll get millions of replies
    Lol it hasn't even been an hour since he posted this... It's Friday, people might be working, or out riding their bikes! I'm a newb myself otherwise I would try to help...
    2012 Specialized Crosstrail Sport

  4. #4
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    Hello all!

    I haven't ridden in a while but always loved it. I'm going to start riding again and almost made the mistake of buying a schwinn or Denali from Target. Visited a couple local bike shops and narrowed my choices down to the following:
    Giant Escape 2 for $419
    Raleigh Cadent FT0 for $450

    Will I notice any real difference between the two? Visually, the Raleigh is much more appealing but I've heard SO many good things about the Escape. I also cannot find much literature online about the Raleigh model I've selected but the owner of the bike store said he loves it. ANY help is greatly appreciated!

    Thank You!
    Shaun
    The only person who is really qualified to answer that particular question is you. Have done any test rides on either of them yet?

    I've been attracted to the Escape line ever since it came out a couple of years. I just saw my first Raleigh FT1 in person a couple of weeks back. I'm attracted to the Raleigh for a different reason than the Giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    The only person who is really qualified to answer that particular question is you. Have done any test rides on either of them yet?

    I've been attracted to the Escape line ever since it came out a couple of years. I just saw my first Raleigh FT1 in person a couple of weeks back. I'm attracted to the Raleigh for a different reason than the Giant.
    It's quite alright. I'm working in an ER until late tonight but I'll be making the purchase early in the AM. Any input before then will be greatly appreciated!

  6. #6
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Escape has the better value.

    The Raleigh will give a bit sportier ride, based upon the geometry and closer gear ratios. The Giant will be more stable if carrying a heavy load on a rear rack and has bit wider gear ratio for hills or hauling a load.

    If at all possible, do the test rides before pulling out your wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome To Bike Forums, Seige!

    Both of these bikes are great bikes! Though a better comparison with the Escape, would be with the FT1. As you will notice that the Escape is an 8 speed, while the FT0 is a 7 speed. Also the FT0 has an Altus rear derailleur, whereas the Escape has Sram X4. Sram X4 is considered to be better than Altus of Shimano. Sram X4 is closer to Acera or perhaps even Alivio.

    Therefore, I would expect the Escape to be slightly faster and just a touch smoother in transition.
    Last edited by SlimRider; 07-13-12 at 09:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice! I am slowly learning everything I need to know but I have no idea about individual components. Ultimately it'll come down to whether I can talk the guy down on the price of the ft0 to match the escape and how good each test feels. I have to drive across town to test each one unfortunately but I really fell in love with the Raleigh at first glance, and didn't feel a particular affinity towards the escape when I was in the shop. Normally my brain sides with the better value, but the Raleigh is so slick looking.

    Edit- I really appreciate the warm welcome. And the more I think about it, the more I anticipate the possible extra 4-5 mph on the escape being a selling point for me. I pictured the raleigh as slightly faster for some reason.
    Last edited by Siege; 07-13-12 at 09:29 PM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    Great advice! I am slowly learning everything I need to know but I have no idea about individual components. Ultimately it'll come down to whether I can talk the guy down on the price of the ft0 to match the escape and how good each test feels. I have to drive across town to test each one unfortunately but I really fell in love with the Raleigh at first glance, and didn't feel a particular affinity towards the escape when I was in the shop. Normally my brain sides with the better value, but the Raleigh is so slick looking.
    Much of selecting a bicycle reminds me of selecting a girlfriend. Your brain usually goes one way, but your heart goes another. So much of everything in love and bikes involves affairs of the heart and feelings. Like I could never be satisfied with a red or yellow bicycle. I will always prefer carbon or steel, to aluminum. I don't like 7 speeds. Now as we all know, these little things shouldn't matter, but to me, they do...

    PS.

    It's so nice when both the brain and the heart become one.
    Last edited by SlimRider; 07-13-12 at 11:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice the Escape advertises high PSI puncture resistant tires. Are these significantly better than the Raleigh tires?
    Last edited by Siege; 07-13-12 at 10:42 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    1,142
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like both almost equally, think of which LBS is nicer and likely to treat you better.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    I notice the Escape advertises high PSI puncture resistant tires. Are these significantly better than the Raleigh tires?
    Usually puncture rersistant tires have either more layers or thicker layers. This means that they are usually heavier. However, they also generally have a greater PSI value, which lowers their rolling resistance.

    For commuting and touring, a puncture resistant tire is more important than when racing or speeding along on a road bike. You'd expect to see more puncture resistant tires on hybirds, MTN bikes, and touring bikes, due to the increase in mass.
    Last edited by SlimRider; 07-14-12 at 05:36 AM.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    Great advice! I am slowly learning everything I need to know but I have no idea about individual components. Ultimately it'll come down to whether I can talk the guy down on the price of the ft0 to match the escape and how good each test feels. I have to drive across town to test each one unfortunately but I really fell in love with the Raleigh at first glance, and didn't feel a particular affinity towards the escape when I was in the shop. Normally my brain sides with the better value, but the Raleigh is so slick looking.

    Edit- I really appreciate the warm welcome. And the more I think about it, the more I anticipate the possible extra 4-5 mph on the escape being a selling point for me. I pictured the raleigh as slightly faster for some reason.
    1. How did you come to this conclusion in speed?
    2. It's possibly the geometry and the internally routed cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  14. #14
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit is more important than looks :-) If the bike doesn't fit you well, you won't ride it. But yes, I know what you mean about falling in love with a bike! I recommend test riding both of them. Here's some advice for test rides. First, make sure both bikes have tires inflated to the same PSI. A tire which is inflated to lower PSI will have a smoother ride than one inflated to max PSI. You want to compare the two bikes, not tire inflation :-) Also, take a long enough test ride to use ALL THE GEARS! You'll get some idea of how smooth the shifting mechanism is and learn if they are adjusted properly. You also get a feel for how close the gears are. The Escape has a larger rear cassette and the gear spacings are going to be greater. My hybrid has an 11-34 cassette and the gear spacings are too large for my comfort. The 11-28 I have is perfect. I've never ridden an 11-32 cassette so I don't know if the spacing is on the large side or not. The 21-26 and 26-32 on the 11-32 are really large spacing. Test ride them both and pick the one you like. The two bikes have pretty similar specs and you won't go wrong with either one.

    11-32 (11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32 teeth)
    12-28 12,14,15,18,21,24,28
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raleigh felt great. A guy walked in as I was gettin ready to buy it and said "Oh I bought one of those last year, really great bike - I love it." Hopped on for a test ride and it felt made for me. Bought it on the spot.
    Last edited by Siege; 07-14-12 at 01:23 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! w00t! Pics and a ride report!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeeaaay for Siege and his new Raleigh Cadent


    Congrats Seige!

    PS.

    Which FT did you get?

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the FT0 since this is literally my first real bike and I need to work on my endurance. I bought it as much for fitness as for fun. And here it is sitting in my driveway!

    http://imgur.com/MxV4H


    I've had about 3 solid days of riding, probably about 5-6 total hours and the ride is amazing. My girlfriend bought a Route 3.0 with skinny tires and she can't keep up with me at all, so we're going to have to figure something out since she can't really return the bike and get a performance hybrid.



  19. #19
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    I went with the FT0 since this is literally my first real bike and I need to work on my endurance. I bought it as much for fitness as for fun. And here it is sitting in my driveway!

    http://imgur.com/MxV4H


    I've had about 3 solid days of riding, probably about 5-6 total hours and the ride is amazing. My girlfriend bought a Route 3.0 with skinny tires and she can't keep up with me at all, so we're going to have to figure something out since she can't really return the bike and get a performance hybrid.


    Figure out how fast and far she wants to ride. Then before she starts out, you take off on a solo ride and go as fast and as far as you like. Then meet back up with her and use her pace as a 'recovery ride'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    I went with the FT0 since this is literally my first real bike and I need to work on my endurance. I bought it as much for fitness as for fun. And here it is sitting in my driveway!

    http://imgur.com/MxV4H


    I've had about 3 solid days of riding, probably about 5-6 total hours and the ride is amazing. My girlfriend bought a Route 3.0 with skinny tires and she can't keep up with me at all, so we're going to have to figure something out since she can't really return the bike and get a performance hybrid.


    OMG! She's beautiful!!!

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    OMG! She's beautiful!!!
    Yeah that is precisely why I couldn't bring to get the Escape 2 over the Raleigh. So pretty. The 2012 model's color scheme is not nearly as attractive.

    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Figure out how fast and far she wants to ride. Then before she starts out, you take off on a solo ride and go as fast and as far as you like. Then meet back up with her and use her pace as a 'recovery ride'.
    I really like that idea and I'm sure she will too, thanks!


    Last edited by Siege; 07-16-12 at 05:13 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great looking bike and the color very nice. Too many black and dark bikes. You and your gf will have a lot of happy rides together. You can go slower when riding together so that you don't lose her :-)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape 2
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    Hello all!

    I haven't ridden in a while but always loved it. I'm going to start riding again and almost made the mistake of buying a schwinn or Denali from Target. Visited a couple local bike shops and narrowed my choices down to the following:
    Giant Escape 2 for $419
    Raleigh Cadent FT0 for $450

    Will I notice any real difference between the two? Visually, the Raleigh is much more appealing but I've heard SO many good things about the Escape. I also cannot find much literature online about the Raleigh model I've selected but the owner of the bike store said he loves it. ANY help is greatly appreciated!

    Thank You!
    Shaun
    I just picked up an Escape 2, did 13mi my first day. I would say it would be a good choice, the price is also a little less if you look around..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •