Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Now have a tough decision for me to make, please help because I am new to this.

    I was recently going to decide between the Specialized Sirrus Sport and Cannondale Quick 4. I crossed the Specialized off, and went and rode the Cannondale Quick 4, Giant Escape 1 and the Jamis Coda. They were all really nice riding bikes and I am sure I would be happy with any of them. Just wanted some opinions, on which bike is the better of the three. I'm ready to purchase this weekend.

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,278
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post a link to each bike.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like them all equally, get the one from the LBS you like the best. if more than one is from the same shop, base it on color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jamis Coda has a chromoly steel frame. Where the aluminum framed Quick and Escape would suffer a dent or a break, the chromoly frame would most likely only suffer a scratch. Aluminum frames have a shorter fatigue life, which really just means that after a certain finite number of stress cycles, the frame will fail. Steel doesn't have such an issue. If kept dry, that chromoly steel frame will last for many decades. Nobody can really say that about an aluminum bicycle frame. You'll be able to strip and repaint your steel framed bike as many times as you like. If you were to upgrade the bike at the same time, the bike will both look and perform like new, with each instance of reconditioning. In other words, its newness is recyclable over and over again! The Jamis Coda is not just a purchase, it's an investment into the future!

    Once your components wear out, you can then replace your components with the very best available. Knowing full well that you can ride a very heavenly ride for many more decades to come...
    Last edited by SlimRider; 07-16-12 at 04:57 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    My Bikes
    schwinn midmoor and looking
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that one of the three feels a hair better than the others ... that's the one to buy... assuming you are comfy with the LBS ...

  7. #7
    "Fred"--is that bad? DTSCDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    214 Represent!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)
    Posts
    451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about these specific bikes.
    In general, based on SlimRiders post, the steel bike will be slightly "softer" to ride than aluminum. The aluminum will be stiffer. What does that mean in the real world? On the aluminum bike you will feel more road chatter while the steel will dampen it slightly.
    Also in general, steel bikes will be slightly heavier than an aluminum bike.
    Which is better? Neither. Both.
    How do you choose. Here is my hierarchy of questions:
    1) Which one fits you better?
    2) Which bike store do you like better?
    3A) Which one fits your budget better?
    3B) Which one looks better to you?
    (3A and 3B are interchangeable questions. Which is more to you: saving a few dollars or finding a bike that you think looks cool? Both are valid deciding factors.)
    The meek shall inherit the earth (If that's okay with the rest of you.)
    “Many of us spend half our time wishing for things we could have if we didn’t spend half our time wishing.”Alexander Woolcot
    Schwinn Super Sport (86)
    Trek 7.3FX (07)
    Trek T200 Tandem (Until I sell it!)

  8. #8
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTSCDS View Post
    I don't know much about these specific bikes.
    In general, based on SlimRiders post, the steel bike will be slightly "softer" to ride than aluminum. The aluminum will be stiffer. What does that mean in the real world? On the aluminum bike you will feel more road chatter while the steel will dampen it slightly.
    Also in general, steel bikes will be slightly heavier than an aluminum bike.
    Which is better? Neither. Both.
    How do you choose. Here is my hierarchy of questions:
    1) Which one fits you better?
    2) Which bike store do you like better?
    3A) Which one fits your budget better?
    3B) Which one looks better to you?
    (3A and 3B are interchangeable questions. Which is more to you: saving a few dollars or finding a bike that you think looks cool? Both are valid deciding factors.)
    if they ever get around to dedicating an entire forum or subforum to all of the 'What bike?' threads, this ought to be the first sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForFun View Post
    I would think that one of the three feels a hair better than the others ... that's the one to buy... assuming you are comfy with the LBS ...
    Agree. No one can honestly tell you which one to buy. Ride them all again, if you need to, and go with the one that feels a hair better/morecomfortable/more an extension of your body. Or that appeals to you for its looks, because a bike you enjoy looking at will be one you want to ride and be proud to own.

    That aside, the Quick 4 has a carbon fork, which you should notice helps absorb road vibration, providing a smoother ride. The stock saddle is generally considered to not be comfortable, so don't judge by the saddle. But all 3 are good bikes, and you can't go wrong with whichever one you pick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •