Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-12, 03:10 PM   #1
SKILCZ
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2013 Giant Roam 2 vs Trek Dual Sport 8.4

The 2013 Roam 2 has hydraulic disc brakes & 27 speeds, which the DS 8.4 does, too. The Giant is $650 compared to $900 for the Trek. The Giant has slightly wider tires. Is the Trek worth the $250 extra?

I will do mostly gravel trail riding and some paved hills. No real hard core MTBing or hard core road riding.

I also checked out (online) the Specialized Cross Trail Sport Disc, which is $830. The price has me wanting to check out the Giant. Am I missing something? Are the components of the Giant much worse than the components of the Trek or Specialized? Why the $250 difference?
SKILCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 05:42 PM   #2
njsteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I could help you on specs for the different bikes. I also look at Giants, Treks and Cannondales with disc brakes. Was considering the Cannondale Big Boy plus the ones you mention. Problem was there were none in stock to test. They were all in the same price range. Ended up with the Raleigh Misceo 2.0 which my local LBS had coming in. Came with disc brakes but the other specs I am still not sure how to compare between the different componets. The price was $550 which was much cheaper than the other bikes. Since it was my first bike purchase I decided to go with it base on the LBS recommendation. Still can't tell you the diference between any othe bikes because I had nothing to compare it with. So far it is the best bike I have ever own. But so far I like it. Just another option you might want to consider.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/life...misceo-2-0-13/
njsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 06:01 PM   #3
Crankykentucky 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New England
Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a new Giant Escape 3 a few weeks ago and what I learned about Giant is that you get a lot of bang for the buck. I didn't ride the model of Roam that you are talking about, but I did appreciate the value of the Roam line. I am still up in the air over my Escape, but it is more my problem more than anything to do with Giant or the local bike shop.
Good luck with your decision. I have a good Trek mountain bike and still drool over the DS line.
Crankykentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 06:22 PM   #4
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Two reasons why the Trek costs more:

1. The DS has a mix of Alivio and Deore which is higher on the Shimano gruppo food chain than the Roam's full Acera.
2. A term that I learned after joining BF- "Trek Tax". Of the Big 3 (Giant, Trek, and Specialized), Trek tends to charge more for a comparable product. Of course, they also spend more on advertising...

Now go take both of them- and any other models on your list- for an extended test ride. Your brain will tell you what looks good on paper or monitor, but it's your butt and body that will be riding it. I absolutely love the Giant Escape line on paper, but something about their geometry feels a bit awkward to me.
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 02:38 AM   #5
zerogravity
Trek DS 8.4 Rider!
 
zerogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anaheim, CA
Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing you have to also take into consideration is that yes, $250 may be a BIG difference, but if you were to buy the better components separately, you will be paying DOUBLE. IMO, buy what feels best to you in YOUR budget. Higher priced components are not only lighter but are better made. My SLX Rear derailer is still intact and shifting smoothly while my brother's Acera Derailer bent while shifting on a climb and bent upwards breaking his spokes too. Yeah...ill take forged steel over stamped steel any day.
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 03:57 PM   #6
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
One thing you have to also take into consideration is that yes, $250 may be a BIG difference, but if you were to buy the better components separately, you will be paying DOUBLE. IMO, buy what feels best to you in YOUR budget. Higher priced components are not only lighter but are better made. My SLX Rear derailer is still intact and shifting smoothly while my brother's Acera Derailer bent while shifting on a climb and bent upwards breaking his spokes too. Yeah...ill take forged steel over stamped steel any day.
I agree, Plus when I had to change out the front derailer I upgraded from a Deore to an SLX and saw a subtle but noticeable improvement in shifting. Shifts on the SLX are more smooth and positive.

But, between the two bikes: perhaps it would be better if the OP figured out which line meets his needs and fits him better. (Plus which LBS will provide better service and support). You can always move up and down a line of bikes to improve the components or save a bit of money...

Plus, I think the Trek 8.3 would be more comparable to the Giant in terms of price and components. It has disk brakes and 24 speed Acera components and lists for $670.
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 04:30 PM   #7
zerogravity
Trek DS 8.4 Rider!
 
zerogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anaheim, CA
Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
I agree, Plus when I had to change out the front derailer I upgraded from a Deore to an SLX and saw a subtle but noticeable improvement in shifting. Shifts on the SLX are more smooth and positive.

But, between the two bikes: perhaps it would be better if the OP figured out which line meets his needs and fits him better. (Plus which LBS will provide better service and support). You can always move up and down a line of bikes to improve the components or save a bit of money...

Plus, I think the Trek 8.3 would be more comparable to the Giant in terms of price and components. It has disk brakes and 24 speed Acera components and lists for $670.
SLX is just the better group. I really don't think one who rides casually actually needs anything higher than SLX to be honest. YOu are right on the 8.3..it is closer to the Giant so that may be his path to go as well.
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 05:31 PM   #8
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
SLX is just the better group. I really don't think one who rides casually actually needs anything higher than SLX to be honest. YOu are right on the 8.3..it is closer to the Giant so that may be his path to go as well.
I agree. Actually, I feel a bit guilty riding on Deore / SLX components because I know they are a better grade than what I need. But, the LBS thinks they were justified because I (try to) ride about 20-25 miles a day.

But, for the OP: my upgrade from the Deore front derailer to the SLX is a good example of choosing the LBS as well as the bike. When I shopped for a bike, this shop was exceptionally helpful. And, I told him I wanted to put fenders on whatever bike I bought. The Trek DS is supposedly 'fender ready'. But, when he tried to mount the fenders, they wouldn't fit behind the top-pull Deore derailer. So, he ordered a side-pull SLX and gave it to me for nothing (even though the Deore had a 150 miles on it).

So, the reason why I like my Trek DS is due to the bike shop as much as the bike. They took care of me and the bike...
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 07:22 AM   #9
SKILCZ
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies. You're right, I would probably end up with the DS 8.3 if I went with Trek b/c of price. I rode the Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc and didn't like the ergonomics for some reason. Also rode the Giant Roam 2 and liked that better. Still haven't had a chance to ride the DS series. Will try that and then make a decision.
SKILCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 06:42 PM   #10
zerogravity
Trek DS 8.4 Rider!
 
zerogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anaheim, CA
Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILCZ View Post
Thanks for all the replies. You're right, I would probably end up with the DS 8.3 if I went with Trek b/c of price. I rode the Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc and didn't like the ergonomics for some reason. Also rode the Giant Roam 2 and liked that better. Still haven't had a chance to ride the DS series. Will try that and then make a decision.
Good luck to you bud..hope you find the RIGHT bike for your needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.bikeforums.net/member.php/310083-GeorgeBMac"
GeorgeBMac[/URL];14786999]So, the reason why I like my Trek DS is due to the bike shop as much as the bike. They took care of me and the bike....
I think that also was the biggest reason for me going with Trek..the LBS was just so good to me, i WANTED to support them as much as i can...and being they remembered me from 20 years ago when i bought my 1st MTB there... says something too.
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 04:16 PM   #11
mjrLV
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I'm in same position as the OP.

I haven't rode in years, and getting back to it now.

Mostly pavements for sure, but would like to do some light trails in a year or so.

I've narrowed down my shortlist to the Trek DS 8.4 and the Giant Roam 2 (both 2014).

The Trek has some marginally better components, but comes at a premium. It's on sale for about $800 at my LBS though. The Giant is still cheaper at $650.

I've ridden the Giant medium, and its a nice ride/fit for me (i'm 5'11")

I like the slightly wider tires on the Giant however.

So, for only $150 more, definitely go with Trek?

Also, what tires are DS owners using, for those who have changed?

Thanks for any advice!

*both LBS in my area (Las Vegas) for the two brands listed are awesome. Can't go wrong with either.

* zerogravity's DS has me inspired

Last edited by mjrLV; 04-14-14 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Text
mjrLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 AM.