Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    7.5 FX, picked up today!

    Picked up a '12 leftover this morning. Was about to pull trigger on either a 2013 7.4 FX or a Cannondale Quick SL3. Couldn't get the SL3 in white til April and didn't like the baby blue that was readily available. 7.4 was nice but wanted better than Acera/Deore. Wanted 7.5 but wasn't going to spend $1,000. Decided to search for a 2012 7.5 FX as it had basically the same specs as the '13 except for the IsoZone mono stay. Found one about 30 miles from home and picked it up today. Had them swap the 28c tires for 32c. Just felt too narrow on the stocks.

    So far love it. 30's and 40+ MPH do haven't ridden more than the test ride. Picked up the new Serfas tail and headlights for it. MAN are those bright!

    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member bghill1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!

  3. #3
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I like the white color. I can't believe so many hybrid bikes that are popular as commuters are dark colors. Good job finding a 2012 and saving a couple of bucks!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  4. #4
    Senior Member johnread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great looking bike! I know you will enjoy it!
    http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s411/pj6354/Specialized%20Crux/file-8.jpg
    Conquering the world one stroke at a time....

  5. #5
    Bike rider alexaschwanden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    2013 Felt 960, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bike.
    2013 Felt 960 29er MTB. 1,090.4 miles
    2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0. 178.5 miles

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    ORL FL
    My Bikes
    1997 Motobecane Nomad 300
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a great bike. Congratulations!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    1,891
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The monostay sounds interesting but I wouldn't pay hundreds more for it. The bikes are pretty much identical otherwise so the 2012 is the better deal. I have a 2011 7.5FX that I use as an around-town bike after getting a road bike.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real nice bike! How are you finding the 32c tires? Any rubbing going on?

  9. #9
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ENJOY!!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by side_FX View Post
    Real nice bike! How are you finding the 32c tires? Any rubbing going on?
    Been too cold to ride since I bought it. I am not well equipped in the clothing department to ride in sub freezing weather....having said that I don't anticipate rubbing. What and where should I be looking for that?

  11. #11
    Senior Member flan48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsagg View Post
    Been too cold to ride since I bought it. I am not well equipped in the clothing department to ride in sub freezing weather....having said that I don't anticipate rubbing. What and where should I be looking for that?
    Hi Tsagg,
    First of all, congratulations and best of luck with your new bike.
    Secondly, you will not have a rubbing problem. The Trek FX series can take up to at least a 35mm tire, as found on the Trek 7.1 and 7.2 FX. I have a 7.4FX with 32mm tires and there is not even a semblance of rubbing issues.

    Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flan48 View Post
    Hi Tsagg,
    First of all, congratulations and best of luck with your new bike.
    Secondly, you will not have a rubbing problem. The Trek FX series can take up to at least a 35mm tire, as found on the Trek 7.1 and 7.2 FX. I have a 7.4FX with 32mm tires and there is not even a semblance of rubbing issues.

    Best regards
    Thanks for that. I wasn't trying to cause a concern that was unwarranted. I was curious how wide one could go. I like the thought of a FX with a wider tire vs. a DS model with a fork I probably wouldn't need. The 25 or 28 tire size on the higher end just look so fragile to me when I consider the roads and bike paths I'd like to explore. A 7.4/5 with a 32 might be a better choice.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by side_FX View Post
    Thanks for that. I wasn't trying to cause a concern that was unwarranted. I was curious how wide one could go. I like the thought of a FX with a wider tire vs. a DS model with a fork I probably wouldn't need. The 25 or 28 tire size on the higher end just look so fragile to me when I consider the roads and bike paths I'd like to explore. A 7.4/5 with a 32 might be a better choice.
    I had them switch out the 28's for me because they looked too narrow for me. I wanted a bit more flexibility without going to 35's.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    COOL. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that cares about bike color.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First real ride today. I'm sick, it's 33 degrees and windy, I haven't ridden much in ten years, but I had to head out. I'm running the runtastic pro bike app on the iPhone. Mustered 5.5 miles only but loved the ride. Looking forward to some slightly warmer weather to enjoy it even a bit more.

    5.5 miles, 471 cals, 10.6 avg mph. 21.1 mph max speed (downhill). Definitely slowed down on way back up the long hill. Can only improve from here!

  16. #16
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsagg View Post
    First real ride today. I'm sick, it's 33 degrees and windy, I haven't ridden much in ten years, but I had to head out. I'm running the runtastic pro bike app on the iPhone. Mustered 5.5 miles only but loved the ride. Looking forward to some slightly warmer weather to enjoy it even a bit more.

    5.5 miles, 471 cals, 10.6 avg mph. 21.1 mph max speed (downhill). Definitely slowed down on way back up the long hill. Can only improve from here!
    Woot! The calories burned will be too high. My Garmin 500 is about 2x too high, I'd say. Not that it matters that much. You certainly braved some pretty tough riding conditions to get out there! Keep up the good riding ethic!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, odd that the app showed 213 cals right after ride but when I went back on it a few hours later to search the stats to post, it had jumped to over 400. I doubt it is close to correct as well.

    Going to get a compatible heart rate monitor, blue tooth, to link to the app soon.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new bike! It's a good looking ride. I've always been a fan of the FX series.
    2012 Trek DS 8.3 (Gary Fisher)
    - Deore rear (upgrade)
    - Ergon GX2 grips and magnesium bar ends
    - Kenda Happy Medium Cyclocross tires 700x35
    - Bontrager Trunk - Deluxe
    - Shimano PD-A530 clipless pedals
    - CatEye Strada Wirelesss

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!! I picked up the 2013 FX 7.4 on Saturday. Rode it for the first time today and it felt amazing. The weather has been bad around here ths week but this afternoon it cleared up.

    I'm happy with my purchase!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLAaustin View Post
    Congrats!! I picked up the 2013 FX 7.4 on Saturday. Rode it for the first time today and it felt amazing. The weather has been bad around here ths week but this afternoon it cleared up.

    I'm happy with my purchase!
    Enjoy!

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got myself the younger brother of the FX series at 7.2 with the disc brakes. Probably the best bike I've ever had and that includes my race bike of 20 years ago. Now riding just for fun and fitness. Got the disc brake version as for me it's the better choice. Very heavy on rims blocks but it's worth the extra weight. Wife's getting a ladies stepthrough version later this month and cannot wait.

    Trek have some good kit in that series.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA USA
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Envious. I strongly considered this, but couldn't resist $400 off a Surly Pacer. Still, this seems like a very smart purchase.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out two more days this weekend. Definitely liking the bike and not so much my endurance.

    one thing I don't yet feel comfortable with is the narrower handle bars on hybrids. Also the seating position on the bike makes me feel a TAD too forward on the bike. I can slide the seat back in the bracket a bit to get a better feel? I'm 6' and got the 20" size bike. I don't think the bike is the wrong size rather something to get used to coming from a mountain bike of an older generation with wide bars and a totally different riding position. Great bike though and fast and smooth!

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    1,891
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsagg View Post
    I'm 6' and got the 20" size bike. I don't think the bike is the wrong size rather something to get used to coming from a mountain bike of an older generation with wide bars and a totally different riding position.
    What's your pant inseam measurement? A 20" seems small for a six footer IMO unless you have short(er) legs and need the standover clearance.

    I'm 5'9" with and have a 30" pant inseam and I ride a 20" 7.5FX (2011) setup with the seat all the way back on the rails and the stem flipped down. But I do 90% of my miles on a road bike so I like to be more stretched out.
    Last edited by Dunbar; 01-06-13 at 09:39 PM.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    What's your pant inseam measurement? A 20" seems small for a six footer IMO unless you have short(er) legs and need the standover clearance.

    I'm 5'9" with and have a 30" pant inseam and I ride a 20" 7.5FX (2011) setup with the seat all the way back on the rails and the stem flipped down. But I do 90% of my miles on a road bike so I like to be more stretched out.
    32" pants. I really don't think it's the bike size. I tested out all the sizes from three diff manufacturers. Larger sizes felt unnecessarily big. Only 17 miles in so may just need to tweak the seat, get used to the ride position of a hybrid, or get some bar ends to give me a wider option during rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •