I've been looking at rear racks for my Insight, and with the vast range there are out there, I thought I'd throw the question out to you all in the hybrid section, and see what you come up with.
Based on the fact that this is my paved trail pleasure bike, which I generally use for 5 or 6 hours at a time and I won't use side panniers on it, I'm not looking to over brace the side struts too much.
I've got some flexible criteria that I'd like it to meet, so here is the list:
1) It has to look the business, I don't want something that's functional but ugly.. Obviously.
2) I like the matte finish powdercoat of the Bontrager racks.
3) The slightly larger diameter tubing that Bontrager uses also appeals to me.
4) I want it to mount low, meaning as near to the top of the rear tyre as possible. I think this makes things look more streamlined.
5) Slide on quick release locking system, or not? I like Topeak's system, and the price and variety of their bags, I'm just not keen on that silk look finish, or the slightly spindly looking tubing. Do any of you use racks successfully with velcro straps?
6) It has to be black.
I'm open to suggestions and options, but it has to be a decent build, preferably welded joints, needs to be light, and look nice on the bike.
There we are, maybe those of you kind people with racks would like to give me some input and post some pics of what you have, and let me see what looks good.
Thanks in advance.