Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: suggestions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    suggestions

    Hello everyone. I have been back into riding for almost a year. I ride for fun and also ride to work as much as I can. I currently have a Giant Rapid3 I bought used, from my LBS. It was my first bike since I was in my youth and I got a good deal on it. It is to big for me but it was a good deal and I wanted to see how I liked it and how much I would enjoy it before dropping a bunch of $$$ into it riding.
    Well the riding bug has bit and I am totally into riding as much as I can. I have been "looking" for a new bike with proper fit and function. I have a ortlieb pannier that works awesome for what I need. For fun, I will drive to the beach here and ride, fitness and fun. All riding I do is on asphalt that is in good condition.
    What I am looking for are suggestions of bikes that will meet what I am looking for. My trip to work is 5 miles one way.

    1. I prefer fast over comfort. Meaning no suspension or big wide tires. Have 25 gatorskins on current bike and love them
    2. Must be able to use a rack on rear of bike
    3. a great reliable component group.
    4. $1500 would be my limit
    5.

    I have a few bike bike shops that sell the normal big brand stuff, but they dont have many hybrid bikes in stock.
    So, I would like to hear comments, reviews of bikes that fit what what I am looking for.
    Thanks for all comments

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dilberto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try 2013 Cannondale Bad Boy 5.....
    2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra - Shimano XTR/SRAM X0; Magura, Velocity Blunt SL
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro - SRAM XX; Bontrager RXXXL; Easton Haven; Rock Shox SID XX

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Quick 4
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1500 can get you quite a lot in the hybrid category. You should be able to get a high end hybrid and enough for accessories(lights/bottle/bottle cage/bags/tools/etc) and racks within that $1500 budget. I assume that you aren't looking for anything with drop bars since you are in the hybrid forum. Here is a list I threw together of the top brands and the models that should be what you're looking for. Each model will usually come in different degrees(example, Cannondale Quick 5, 4, SL3, SL2, SL1) usually starting around $500 and doing up to around the $1500 mark. I personally ride a Cannondale Quick 4 and love it. However, if I had seen it before my purchase I would have gotten a Cannondale Bad Boy 5. Anyways, here is the list in no particular order and links to what I think fits the description of what you're looking for.

    Cannondale
    Quick
    http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes...ation/quick-sl
    Bad Boy
    http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes.../urban/bad-boy

    GIANT
    Escape
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...0/11500/55829/
    Rapid
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...1/11499/55824/
    Seek
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...0/11501/55835/

    Specialized
    Sirrus
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus
    Source
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/source

    Trek
    FX
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ness/fx/models
    SoHo
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ho/soho_deluxe

    Jamis
    Coda
    http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...cat_grp=strt_2

  4. #4
    S'Cruzer pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    122W 37N
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been rather down on Cannondale as they seem to love to do things different, and use completely incompatible things on their bikes. weird headset sizes, that sort of thing.



    ya know, if you are running 25c tires, and really want fast and light, you probably should be at least test riding some full road touring bikes too. flat bars are not conducive to riding fast/far. Specialized Allez or Tricross, Trek 520, or whatever.

    personally, I think 28c tires are a far better fit for road riding. Heck, they even use 28c on the more difficult stretches of the Tour de France.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 7.2 FX, 2010 Trek 4300 Disc
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    Hello everyone. I have been back into riding for almost a year. I ride for fun and also ride to work as much as I can. I currently have a Giant Rapid3 I bought used, from my LBS. It was my first bike since I was in my youth and I got a good deal on it. It is to big for me but it was a good deal and I wanted to see how I liked it and how much I would enjoy it before dropping a bunch of $$$ into it riding.
    Well the riding bug has bit and I am totally into riding as much as I can. I have been "looking" for a new bike with proper fit and function. I have a ortlieb pannier that works awesome for what I need. For fun, I will drive to the beach here and ride, fitness and fun. All riding I do is on asphalt that is in good condition.
    What I am looking for are suggestions of bikes that will meet what I am looking for. My trip to work is 5 miles one way.

    1. I prefer fast over comfort. Meaning no suspension or big wide tires. Have 25 gatorskins on current bike and love them
    2. Must be able to use a rack on rear of bike
    3. a great reliable component group.
    4. $1500 would be my limit
    5.

    I have a few bike bike shops that sell the normal big brand stuff, but they dont have many hybrid bikes in stock.
    So, I would like to hear comments, reviews of bikes that fit what what I am looking for.
    Thanks for all comments
    I don't know the condition of your Rapid 3, but that's a pretty nice bike if you have no complaints. But, if you really want to "go for it"... that kind of cash opens the door nicely as others have pointed out.

    Have fun test riding.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies. The Rapid 3 I do like, it is just to big for me. I am 5ft 10 and it is an XL. I had the shop "shorten" the bike up as much as they could, moved seat forward and moved bars back with a shorter piece that holds them.
    Does anyone know anything about the Moterbecane Century Pro? I know the issues about buying online, but are they good quality bikes? Don't want to spend the money on junk. Are there any other opinions on some other brands that are not as common?
    Thanks

  7. #7
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,795
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N/m

  8. #8
    Senior Member ikaika777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Escape 2, 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    Thanks for your replies. The Rapid 3 I do like, it is just to big for me. I am 5ft 10 and it is an XL. I had the shop "shorten" the bike up as much as they could, moved seat forward and moved bars back with a shorter piece that holds them.
    Does anyone know anything about the Moterbecane Century Pro? I know the issues about buying online, but are they good quality bikes? Don't want to spend the money on junk. Are there any other opinions on some other brands that are not as common?
    Thanks
    I have a Giant Escape 2 and I love it. I'm the same height as you, 5 10 but with my shoes I'm 6 feet and I take a "large" in Giant bikes but when I test rode the Escape in large and extra large after 2 hours of test riding both I bought the extra large. It just felt better for me and I have broad shoulders from weight lifting. Since you have experience with the Rapid 3 why don't you just buy a Rapid 1 in your size? The Rapid is an awesome bike and Giant makes great bikes for the money.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DEW21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Motor City
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a Giant Escape 2 also back in September and loving it. Allthough not high end by any means its perfect for my needs.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ikaika777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Escape 2, 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DEW21 View Post
    Bought a Giant Escape 2 also back in September and loving it. Allthough not high end by any means its perfect for my needs.

    It’s a really great bike and fast. And you can slowly add higher end components to it if one wishes to, although the components on it now seem just fine.

  11. #11
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the Jamis Coda was recommend, for YOUR wants, I'd go with the "Jamis Allegro Elite" model, it's Alum. framed and carbon fiber forked and would be "quicker" than the Coda models: http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...cat_grp=strt_3
    At a MSRP of $1100, you'd have money left over for accessiories or any "changes" you wanted made for "perfect fit". I have both a Coda Sport and a Allegro 1 and the Allegro is much more on the "Sporty" side of the equation. JMHO, YMMV PS: I put "25's" on mine but since I'm a Clyde Rider, (230lbs) they were too "rough" feeling for me, went to "28's" from the stock "32"s", FYI.
    Last edited by bjjoondo; 01-25-13 at 09:50 AM.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
    Although the Jamis Coda was recommend, for YOUR wants, I'd go with the "Jamis Allegro Elite" model, it's Alum. framed and carbon fiber forked and would be "quicker" than the Coda models: http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...cat_grp=strt_3
    At a MSRP of $1100, you'd have money left over for accessiories or any "changes" you wanted made for "perfect fit". I have both a Coda Sport and a Allegro 1 and the Allegro is much more on the "Sporty" side of the equation. JMHO, YMMV PS: I put "25's" on mine but since I'm a Clyde Rider, (230lbs) they were too "rough" feeling for me, went to "28's" from the stock "32"s", FYI.
    Thanks for the info. I checked them out today and the Allegro looks awesome. Also looked at the BMC model alpenchallenge and that is really nice too. Anyone have any experience with this BMC bike?

  13. #13
    S'Cruzer pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    122W 37N
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamis bikes look like a great deal, several $100 cheaper than the 'major' brands for near identical bikes.

    Don't see them here on the west coast too often. We mostly see Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, "Raleigh", Kona, and speciality brands like Santa Cruz, Electra, etc.

    To me, assuming the bike is the general type you want, and you're happy with its gears and brakes and stuff, the most important thing is how well it fits you, and how in tune with its ride you feel. The different brands have slightly different base geometry... like, Specialized bikes tend to have a fairly long top tube length, which suits me as I have a long torso for my size.
    Last edited by pierce; 01-25-13 at 11:44 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •