Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trek 7.7 FX Derailleur Damage

    Hello,

    I just bought a used 2010 Trek 7.7 FX for $900. The bike looks like new and rides very nice however, I'm very disappointed as the rear gears are slipping (shifting up and down) and I noticed a significant scratch on the rear derailleur "105". It seems like the bike fell down on that side or was dragged causing this damage. I'm taking the bike this weekend to our LBS to check it out. I was wondering, even if they are able to adjust the gears, would it be better to replace the rear derailleur to avoid any other issues in the future or do I just ride it for a while and see what happens? Your thoughts please.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    IZip Express, GT Sanction 2.0, Schwinn beater
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On used bikes I've removed the RD hanger, make sure it's flat, then reinstall, then adjust the cable.
    One can not get a proper RD adjustment with the bike upsidedown, so hang it by the seatpost if there is no workstand.

    A new hanger can be bought.

  3. #3
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,686
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah,derailleur hangers usually take the brunt of the damage. Take a look at the bike from directly behind. The derailleur should be parallel to the frame. If it's angled inwards,then the hanger needs to be replaced. They're usually $15-25.

    Note,the scratches may have nothing to do with your shifting issue. It could be the cable just needs adjusting or the chain and/or cassette is worn out. It could also be 'auto-shifting'. Does the rear der cable run under the bottom bracket? If so,try pulling on it on either side of the BB to move the cable back and forth through the tunnel it runs through. Dirt and other gunk can get in there and cause cable drag that can create the issue you're reporting. If that's the case,then the cable just needs some cleaning and lube.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,162
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last bike (used road bike) had a bent derailleur hangar and scraped up rear derailleur. A bike shop should have the Park tool to check if it's bent, assuming it's not blatantly obvious by just looking at it. If they confirm the hangar is bent I would just replace the hangar. Once you bend them in a crash it will be a constant battle to keep them straight and they are not expensive. Once I had my hangar replaced I rode it for thousands of trouble-free miles. BTW, if you had inspected and test ridden the bike before buying it you could have discovered this issue before handing over the cash.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike shop said the rear derailleur hanger is bent although I didn't see it bent at all and they were very busy they couldn't work on it today. So I went to another bike shop, they didn't mention the bent hanger and adjusted the gears. It shifts better but it's not very smooth. I'm not sure who is right so I guess I'll just ride if for a bit and see what happens. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuance View Post
    On used bikes I've removed the RD hanger, make sure it's flat, then reinstall, then adjust the cable.
    One can not get a proper RD adjustment with the bike upsidedown, so hang it by the seatpost if there is no workstand.

    A new hanger can be bought.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike looked great and shifted okay. I rushed buying it as it was for half price. When I got home and noticed the slipping. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    My last bike (used road bike) had a bent derailleur hangar and scraped up rear derailleur. A bike shop should have the Park tool to check if it's bent, assuming it's not blatantly obvious by just looking at it. If they confirm the hangar is bent I would just replace the hangar. Once you bend them in a crash it will be a constant battle to keep them straight and they are not expensive. Once I had my hangar replaced I rode it for thousands of trouble-free miles. BTW, if you had inspected and test ridden the bike before buying it you could have discovered this issue before handing over the cash.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the gears are not slipping any more, just a bit rough when shifting but no slipping for sure. Could the first lbs be correct and the hanger could be bent causing the rough shifting?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsocal View Post
    The bike shop said the rear derailleur hanger is bent although I didn't see it bent at all and they were very busy they couldn't work on it today. So I went to another bike shop, they didn't mention the bent hanger and adjusted the gears. It shifts better but it's not very smooth. I'm not sure who is right so I guess I'll just ride if for a bit and see what happens. Thank you.

  8. #8
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,686
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bunch of things could be causing the shifting issue. The hanger could be bent slightly. Does the shifter cable route under the bottombracket(see my comment above)? The chain and/or cassette could also be worn. Or the cables could just need lubing.

    Where are you located? Any bike kitchens or co-ops that could work with you to help you figure it out yourself?

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I rode it today for a longer ride and it feels really good. I think the other bike shop did a good job. This is my first 7.7 FX and although couple of years old, it feels really good. Impressing acceleration and very smooth shifting. I tested every gear and they all shifted very well, the three in the front and the ten in the rear. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. Thanks again for all your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Bunch of things could be causing the shifting issue. The hanger could be bent slightly. Does the shifter cable route under the bottombracket(see my comment above)? The chain and/or cassette could also be worn. Or the cables could just need lubing.

    Where are you located? Any bike kitchens or co-ops that could work with you to help you figure it out yourself?

  10. #10
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,452
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind, that a bent hanger can prevent quiet shifting, and cause annoying improper shifting. It also make make noise when just riding, even slightly. If it's bent, get it repaired. It's a cheap repair, and will make a difference.

    Ask them to show the alignment with it bent, to confirm. It will show on the tool/rim.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you're right. I probably don't know how good the shifting of the 105 derailleur is, I'll take it back to replace the hanger. Thanks. Also, I wonder if I should replace the derailleur as well. The damage on it is so bad that the number 1 and 0 of the 105 is halfway gone with the scratch damage stretching upward. Wouldn't be safer to replace the derailleur and the hanger? Please advise. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Keep in mind, that a bent hanger can prevent quiet shifting, and cause annoying improper shifting. It also make make noise when just riding, even slightly. If it's bent, get it repaired. It's a cheap repair, and will make a difference.

    Ask them to show the alignment with it bent, to confirm. It will show on the tool/rim.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,162
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsocal View Post
    Also, I wonder if I should replace the derailleur as well. The damage on it is so bad that the number 1 and 0 of the 105 is halfway gone with the scratch damage stretching upward.
    I don't think you need to replace the rear derailleur. Mine was pretty scrapped up and shifted fine. I wouldn't even have known it was bent if it didn't start rubbing the rear wheel spokes in the lowest gear (i.e., it otherwise shifted just fine.) If you want replace it for cosmetic reasons that's your call. I would buy one on ebay though and save some money. If you do replace the derailleur wait and do the hangar at the same time to save some money on labor.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two reasons actually: I want to replace it to make sure that it's working well with no worries and also for cosmetic reasons. It doesn't look right with that damage on it. If I buy the derailleur on ebay, how can I make sure that I'm buying the correct part for my bike model year? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    I don't think you need to replace the rear derailleur. Mine was pretty scrapped up and shifted fine. I wouldn't even have known it was bent if it didn't start rubbing the rear wheel spokes in the lowest gear (i.e., it otherwise shifted just fine.) If you want replace it for cosmetic reasons that's your call. I would buy one on ebay though and save some money. If you do replace the derailleur wait and do the hangar at the same time to save some money on labor.

  14. #14
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,686
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Derailleurs aren't specific to bikes;it could be any road or MTB derailleur that's compatible with your shifters. It just has to be long or short cage,whatever you've got on there now,and the number of speeds has to match up(due to the chain width).

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Derailleurs aren't specific to bikes;it could be any road or MTB derailleur that's compatible with your shifters. It just has to be long or short cage,whatever you've got on there now,and the number of speeds has to match up(due to the chain width).

  16. #16
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,452
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given your statement, I would just have the dealer replace tbe hanger and derailleur at the same time. Alignment and adjustment will be part of the same job...... I'm like you, and would be happier with it done right, once and for all.

    Meanwhile, ride it until they get the parts in.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  17. #17
    Senior Member martinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The park tool der. Hanger straightener works really, really well... Down to a mm ! Donno what I think about taking the hangar off and checking it on a flat surface, it's a start but then what's next ? Adjusting it with a hammer ?have either shop show you how it works, both checking and adjusting... There is no real need to repl. the hanger, unless it's broken. Same goes for the rear der. If you want to repl. Various components for cosmetic reasons you are welcome to do so, just don't throw parts at it to fix a problem that may or may not exist. Which will get expensive, and if you dont know how well a 105 rear der. Works, than you are wasting your time and money. ( the answer is, as good as the shifter pod thats telling it what to do, and the cable connecting them to each other. Thats why everyone is asking about the cable and housing conditio. Rear Der. Are all the same in function, some are made from lighter material, but none have speeds assigned to them, that's what limit screws are for. ) This is where finding a good shop that you can trust comes into play ... Get a second opinion, if you must ... But be aware, bikes are easy to recognize Esp. If they have a certain issue, attached to them ... when it comes back for another issue, and the old issue was solved, Esp. With new parts, get ready to be treated differently.
    Last edited by martinus; 05-02-13 at 06:59 AM.

    .
    .
    .


    Bend the knees, watch the trees ... 5 $ please .

  18. #18
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,686
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally,I won't straighten a replaceable hanger,I'll just swap it. They're made of soft aluminum to bend and save the der and frame. If you bend them back,then the next hit it takes there's a good chance that instead of bending it'll break. Then instead of limping home with your shifting screwed up,you're pushing it home.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  19. #19
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,452
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By repl the hanger now, you have the old one to throw in your tool kit, for emergency. And, there is only one way to have something look like new, once it has been scraped up. (Am I reading between the lines correctly?) A new 105 derailleur isn't going to break the bank, on a higher priced bike. MHO

    You can also resell the old DR, or keep it for a spare. I use a lot of take offs, on neighborhood kids bikes (including grandchildren)

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  20. #20
    Senior Member martinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Personally,I won't straighten a replaceable hanger,I'll just swap it. They're made of soft aluminum to bend and save the der and frame. If you bend them back,then the next hit it takes there's a good chance that instead of bending it'll break. Then instead of limping home with your shifting screwed up,you're pushing it home.


    Soooo ... they are, made to break... but, since it didnt... replace it... because it might break, in the future ??? Oh boy ...

    .
    .
    .


    Bend the knees, watch the trees ... 5 $ please .

  21. #21
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,452
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martinus View Post
    Soooo ... they are, made to break... but, since it didnt... replace it... because it might break, in the future ??? Oh boy ...
    Aluminum is very weak, once bent, and should be replaced. Straighten, only in an emergency situation.

    Yep, I would reflatten the old one, and save it in my tool bag, only for emergency use. I might even buy 2 while I am buying, just so I'd have one for later.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  22. #22
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,686
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martinus View Post
    Soooo ... they are, made to break... but, since it didnt... replace it... because it might break, in the future ??? Oh boy ...
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Aluminum is very weak, once bent, and should be replaced. Straighten, only in an emergency situation.
    Yep. Had a motorcycle tip over once and bent the clutch lever. My Dad said we could try to bend it back,but it might break. It did. Had just enough left to go to the shop and get a new one,but learned my lesson about bending aluminum.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm leaning towards doing. I want to get it fixed right so that I don't worry about it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Given your statement, I would just have the dealer replace tbe hanger and derailleur at the same time. Alignment and adjustment will be part of the same job...... I'm like you, and would be happier with it done right, once and for all.

    Meanwhile, ride it until they get the parts in.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the bike in for a second opinion at a different bike shop, I asked to check my gears cause they are slipping. The mechanic just adjusted the gears and didn't say anything about the bent hanger. The damage on the derailleur is obvious, but he didn't even bring that up. I rode the bike and it shifted like butter. I was really impressed, I never had a 7.7 FX before. Is it possible that my LBS made a mistake? Then today I rode the bike for 20 miles, with no problem, only the middle rear gear is a bit sticky, but it shifts fine. So I stopped at a different bike shop (third bike shop) and asked to take a look at my rear derailleur and the hanger. The lead mechanic checked it out and said every thing is fine. Nothing wrong with it. So I was surprised again. So I guess for now, I'll change the bike shop and I'll ride the bike for a while then replace both the derailleur and hanger. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinus View Post
    The park tool der. Hanger straightener works really, really well... Down to a mm ! Donno what I think about taking the hangar off and checking it on a flat surface, it's a start but then what's next ? Adjusting it with a hammer ?have either shop show you how it works, both checking and adjusting... There is no real need to repl. the hanger, unless it's broken. Same goes for the rear der. If you want to repl. Various components for cosmetic reasons you are welcome to do so, just don't throw parts at it to fix a problem that may or may not exist. Which will get expensive, and if you dont know how well a 105 rear der. Works, than you are wasting your time and money. ( the answer is, as good as the shifter pod thats telling it what to do, and the cable connecting them to each other. Thats why everyone is asking about the cable and housing conditio. Rear Der. Are all the same in function, some are made from lighter material, but none have speeds assigned to them, that's what limit screws are for. ) This is where finding a good shop that you can trust comes into play ... Get a second opinion, if you must ... But be aware, bikes are easy to recognize Esp. If they have a certain issue, attached to them ... when it comes back for another issue, and the old issue was solved, Esp. With new parts, get ready to be treated differently.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Yes.



    Yep. Had a motorcycle tip over once and bent the clutch lever. My Dad said we could try to bend it back,but it might break. It did. Had just enough left to go to the shop and get a new one,but learned my lesson about bending aluminum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •