Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-13, 02:31 PM   #1
abenedict86
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
abenedict86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Janesville, WI
Bikes: Schwinn Median Hybrid
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schwinn Median Hybrid

Hi all, this is my first time here and I am on my phone so please forgive me if things look choppy or unstructured.

I have been wanting to get more active recently and wanted to start biking. But looking around I found that many many bikes were way over my budget. My friends told me to look into a hybrid and I came across this one at my local Target. I haven't seen really anything about it online but I did see that it is listed on the Schwinn website and the price fit right in my budget. So I picked it up.

I have had it for a few days and I have not had any problems with it. It's a smooth ride, comfortable, good size, I feel like I got lucky in terms of a big box store bike.

I was just curious as to what anyone thoughts on it were, especially (like I said) because I haven't been able to find anything about it online.

What should I upgrade? Change? All opinions are very welcome!

Here is the link with specs.
http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/hy...an#/highlights

Thanks everyone!
abenedict86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 02:42 PM   #2
Cfiber
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenedict86 View Post
Hi all, this is my first time here and I am on my phone so please forgive me if things look choppy or unstructured.

I have been wanting to get more active recently and wanted to start biking. But looking around I found that many many bikes were way over my budget. My friends told me to look into a hybrid and I came across this one at my local Target. I haven't seen really anything about it online but I did see that it is listed on the Schwinn website and the price fit right in my budget. So I picked it up.

I have had it for a few days and I have not had any problems with it. It's a smooth ride, comfortable, good size, I feel like I got lucky in terms of a big box store bike.

I was just curious as to what anyone thoughts on it were, especially (like I said) because I haven't been able to find anything about it online.

What should I upgrade? Change? All opinions are very welcome!

Here is the link with specs.
http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/hy...an#/highlights

Thanks everyone!
If Target assembled ur bike, please take it 2 the nearest bike shop ASAP, and have them evaluate the build of your bike, b 4 riding it any further. Otherwise, the bike should b alright.
Cfiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13, 06:45 AM   #3
abenedict86
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
abenedict86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Janesville, WI
Bikes: Schwinn Median Hybrid
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfiber View Post
If Target assembled ur bike, please take it 2 the nearest bike shop ASAP, and have them evaluate the build of your bike, b 4 riding it any further. Otherwise, the bike should b alright.
So all the parts and spec look good? That's a relief.

I called my local bike shop and they are pretty booked right now, so if something needs to be fixed or replaced, there is a bit of a waiting period. But they said they can visually check it over any time.
abenedict86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13, 07:39 AM   #4
Cfiber
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenedict86 View Post
So all the parts and spec look good? That's a relief.

I called my local bike shop and they are pretty booked right now, so if something needs to be fixed or replaced, there is a bit of a waiting period. But they said they can visually check it over any time.
Great! Just make sure they at least eyeball it b 4 u take it for a spin.
Cfiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13, 08:53 AM   #5
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
A good buy for the money. If you have a bike knowledgeable friend, they may help inspect/adjust as well. It is still a good idea to have your local bike shop give it a visual check. Safety first.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 08:51 AM   #6
abenedict86
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
abenedict86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Janesville, WI
Bikes: Schwinn Median Hybrid
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*Just an update on where I am at with my bike*

I took the bike into the local bike shop in town for a visual/quick inspection and they said the frame and all the parts are in good working condition (yay!).

They did recommend though that I schedule an appointment for them to completely take it apart (every single nut, bolt, screw, etc) and reassemble it the correct way and fit it properly. So I have to drop the bike off on the 16th and I can pick it up the next day. They did reassure me though that the bike was completely safe and I can continue riding it up until my drop off date.
abenedict86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 09:20 AM   #7
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenedict86 View Post
*...They did recommend though that I schedule an appointment for them to completely take it apart (every single nut, bolt, screw, etc) and reassemble it the correct way and fit it properly. So I have to drop the bike off on the 16th and I can pick it up the next day. They did reassure me though that the bike was completely safe and I can continue riding it up until my drop off date.
I think they are taking you for a ride (no pun intended) Even the bikes they sell come almost completely assembled from the factory in a box. I bet they don't disassemble and reassemble the bikes they sell, before they move them.
They even told you the bike was completely safe to ride. Tell them to stick their "re-inspection???" up their jacksie, and use another bike shop in the future.
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 10:02 AM   #8
Cfiber
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
I think they are taking you for a ride (no pun intended) Even the bikes they sell come almost completely assembled from the factory in a box. I bet they don't disassemble and reassemble the bikes they sell, before they move them.
They even told you the bike was completely safe to ride. Tell them to stick their "re-inspection???" up their jacksie, and use another bike shop in the future.
+1

Yeah, if it's safe to ride. It's safe to ride! That's it!

I'd go to another bike shop and tell them to inspect your bike, without mentioning the previous one. See what the next bike shop says. They better not say anything like wanting to disassemble and reassemble your bike for you. I could understand it, if they just wanted to check the steering tube, hubs, and bottom bracket, for proper bearing lubrication. Possibly even use a torque wrench to make certain that every nut was torqued to precision, but not completely disassemble your bike. That's just nuts!

Last edited by Cfiber; 05-04-13 at 10:09 AM.
Cfiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 12:29 PM   #9
abenedict86
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
abenedict86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Janesville, WI
Bikes: Schwinn Median Hybrid
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright everyone, I took my bike to another shop (smaller as well) farther away from me and had them look at it. What they told me was that the gears need a slight tune up because its not shifting to the 6th and 7th gear smoothly/properly, the back tire has a bit of a wobble to it, and the brakes aren't holding as tightly as they should. They said basically a simple tune up will take care of all the issues.

They said of I want to continue riding it I can, but to go easy on "choppy" roads due to the wheel wobble and to take caution braking at high speeds until the they can tune them up.

I cancelled my appointment at the first shop and I can take the bike out this weekend to the second shop and they will get it all squared away.

Thank you for everyone's input on this situation. I would have taken the first shop at their word and never looked into a second opinion (facepalm).
abenedict86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 PM.