Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario. Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tour de Mississauga - Need your advice!

    Hi everyone,

    Now that I am back to cycling, I am thinking of riding in the Tour de Mississauga.

    This is a local, non-competitive, social ride. Perfect for me to attempt 60km!

    My question is this... some of the route is on trails from my understanding. I am not sure if my Sirrus Elite can handle the non-road portions of the route. I am looking to draw on the expertize of this forum to help me understand what this bike can and cannot do...everything is factory on this bike (including tires).

    Thank you for your help.

    PS - back to riding after 15 years and I am loving it! So far I have ridden 30kms (2 15km runs) and getting my riding legs.

  2. #2
    ^ JBC. jbchybridrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,925
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your bike can handle it no worries It's not about weather the bike can or can't do it it's about riding within the bikes limits because it's not a MTB. You'll get a feel about what the bikes comfortable doing while your riding it and it'll get you there.
    So 2x 15km runs and getting your riding legs! Slow down cowboy just plug away without killing yourself, it can take awhile to really get your legs. You'll really see a difference after 6 months and remember your in it for the long haul.
    2010 Custom Carbon JBC, 1990 Ricardo Pinnacle, 1988 Ricardo Elite, 1983 Ricardo Varsity, 1990 Peugeot Hurricane, 1977 Dawes Galaxy GT, 2007 Pinarello F3-13, Custom aussie made 1980 Columbus SL racer, 1975 Calton Rapide, 1995 Olympia Fusari, 1993 Basso Viper.

  3. #3
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er
    Posts
    4,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a link to the course details? It's hardly going to be a Rapha style course which often includes single track type portions. I'd imagine since it's a social ride, the non-road portions would be fine for your bike. What size tyres do you have? 32mm may be what you are needing.
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario. Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Thanks! I guess I should mention that I am in ok shape. After these rides my legs are actually ok, but man does my butt hurt!! I guess I have to work in my seat! I appreciate the advice, I need to ride more to understand what I can and cannot do on the bike. Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbchybridrider View Post
    Your bike can handle it no worries It's not about weather the bike can or can't do it it's about riding within the bikes limits because it's not a MTB. You'll get a feel about what the bikes comfortable doing while your riding it and it'll get you there.
    So 2x 15km runs and getting your riding legs! Slow down cowboy just plug away without killing yourself, it can take awhile to really get your legs. You'll really see a difference after 6 months and remember your in it for the long haul.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario. Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I believe my tires are 28....they say (700/28) on them. The link to the race is http://www.mississaugacycling.ca/tour. The reason I am hesitant is because it says they will feature the best off-road trails as well as the best on-road trails. Appreciate any insight! I really don't want to spend the extra cash on new tires as I just put everything I had into getting the bike in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
    Do you have a link to the course details? It's hardly going to be a Rapha style course which often includes single track type portions. I'd imagine since it's a social ride, the non-road portions would be fine for your bike. What size tyres do you have? 32mm may be what you are needing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member SPiN 360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Roam XR1
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW THANKS for mentioning this event! It sounds fun!

    To partially thread-hijack, here is my question: I am just getting back into cycling as well, and so far the longest journey I've done is 17 km in 80 minutes. Do you think it is too ambitious to say I could get good enough to do the 60 km Tour in September (2 months from now)?

  7. #7
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er
    Posts
    4,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak73 View Post
    Thank you! I believe my tires are 28....they say (700/28) on them. The link to the race is http://www.mississaugacycling.ca/tour. The reason I am hesitant is because it says they will feature the best off-road trails as well as the best on-road trails. Appreciate any insight! I really don't want to spend the extra cash on new tires as I just put everything I had into getting the bike in the first place.
    Hmmm I see about the mixed trails included with road.
    If I were you
    ...I'd do the 100km road only course. No problem with 28mm and your bike would be fine as long as there isn't much wind around your city.
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Along the Rivers of Pittsburgh
    My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPiN 360 View Post
    WOW THANKS for mentioning this event! It sounds fun!

    To partially thread-hijack, here is my question: I am just getting back into cycling as well, and so far the longest journey I've done is 17 km in 80 minutes. Do you think it is too ambitious to say I could get good enough to do the 60 km Tour in September (2 months from now)?
    It does sound like a fun ride. I'd say it is doable if you have the time each week to devote to build up to it. You are covering almost 30% of the distance now. If you can add 5 km per week to your current ride, you'll be there.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario. Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
    Hmmm I see about the mixed trails included with road.
    If I were you
    ...I'd do the 100km road only course. No problem with 28mm and your bike would be fine as long as there isn't much wind around your city.
    I appreciate your advice, but I don't think I would be able to do 100km in just 2 months from now! I have literally just started training and feel good about going 60km, but 100km would be pushing it for this year. Perhaps something for me to do next year.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario. Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Spin! No problem at all! I don't think it would be a problem. It is a social ride so you can really control your pace, plus I find with anything like this, adrenaline kicks in and you can usually go faster/longer than you think. I think if you start training now and work your way up to 50-55km, you will be fine by the time of the ride. Remember, its not timed and is for all levels Maybe i'll see you there!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Milton ON
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Comp. 0
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I will be joining in on the 60K ride. Hope to see you all there.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Milton ON
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Comp. 0
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with the ride two days away, whos in? If you guys are still doing it say hi to the tall guy on a white roam and the tiny girl on the white rove hehe

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kills me that I haven't found anything like this out in the Durham area, the northern Pickering/Ajax areas are amazing with barely used roads surrounded by farms and conservation areas with nice trails, I would love to have some event/company in the area. If anyone has a link to similar event it would be greatly appreciated.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Milton ON
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Comp. 0
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ join the Durham cycling club. They do rides all the time through the area. Or if you have a road bike just meet up with me at Taunton and Salem after work and we go for a quick 40km ride. I do this every day, weather permitting, at 6pm.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario. Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyravr View Post
    So with the ride two days away, whos in? If you guys are still doing it say hi to the tall guy on a white roam and the tiny girl on the white rove hehe
    My wife (on her blue Norco) and I (on my grey/green Sirrus) will be there! Have a great ride!

  16. #16
    Senior Member SPiN 360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Roam XR1
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my registration package for the 60 km tour. I'll be the dude wearing the blue MEC jersey and the orange/grey Giant Roam XR1.

    So far 2100 people have registered so it will be a challenge for anyone to find anyone!

  17. #17
    Senior Member SPiN 360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Roam XR1
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPiN 360 View Post
    I picked up my registration package for the 60 km tour. I'll be the dude wearing the blue MEC jersey and the orange/grey Giant Roam XR1.

    So far 2100 people have registered so it will be a challenge for anyone to find anyone!
    Oh crap, I have come down with a cold or something so I'm thinking I should skip the ride tomorrow!!

  18. #18
    Big Boned Biker IAMAMRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Platteville, WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14
    Posts
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPiN 360 View Post
    Oh crap, I have come down with a cold or something so I'm thinking I should skip the ride tomorrow!!
    Dont let a cold stop ya..as long as you have no fever.
    www.BigBonedBiker.Wordpress.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member SPiN 360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Roam XR1
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMAMRA View Post
    Dont let a cold stop ya..as long as you have no fever.
    Great advice here... I felt like crap this morning but I went out anyway and figured that I could use the "get home shortcut" bypass routes if necessary. Next thing you know, I managed to complete the entire 60 km circuit - personal record for me!

    Now I feel EXCELLENT!!



    According to Strava, the entire route was 62.5 km with 3h20min moving time. Actual time was more like 4h.

    Any ride stories from anyone else who showed?

    Loved the trail riding in the East end.
    Marshalls were very helpful in telling you which way to go.
    How about that random oversized high-heel shoe abandoned on the road? LOL...
    Last edited by SPiN 360; 09-15-13 at 05:24 PM.

  20. #20
    Big Boned Biker IAMAMRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Platteville, WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14
    Posts
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPiN 360 View Post
    Great advice here... I felt like crap this morning but I went out anyway and figured that I could use the "get home shortcut" bypass routes if necessary. Next thing you know, I managed to complete the entire 60 km circuit - personal record for me!

    Now I feel EXCELLENT!!



    According to Strava, the entire route was 62.5 km with 3h20min moving time. Actual time was more like 4h20min.

    Any ride stories from anyone else who showed?

    Loved the trail riding in the East end.
    Marshalls were very helpful in telling you which way to go.
    How about that random oversized high-heel shoe abandoned on the road? LOL...
    roarsome!
    www.BigBonedBiker.Wordpress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •