Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    Big Boned Biker IAMAMRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Platteville, WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you do when you have nothing to lean against? I do not like the idea of putting my bike on the ground. It messes up my mirrors or gets dirt on my gears/chain.
    www.BigBonedBiker.Wordpress.com

  2. #27
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,946
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMAMRA View Post
    What do you do when you have nothing to lean against? I do not like the idea of putting my bike on the ground. It messes up my mirrors or gets dirt on my gears/chain.
    Lay it down on the non drive side. What are these mirrors you speak of?

  3. #28
    Senior Member SHOFINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what if I get sand on my rotors?

    2015 616 Muenzie, 2013 On One Fatty, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2011 Kona Dr. Fine, 2012 Motobecane Jubilee 8, 1985 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn World Sport


  4. #29
    Big Boned Biker IAMAMRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Platteville, WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    Lay it down on the non drive side. What are these mirrors you speak of?
    That's the side with the mirror...
    www.BigBonedBiker.Wordpress.com

  5. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape RX1
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOFINE View Post
    But what if I get sand on my rotors?

    looks like you're gunna get sand everywhere


    Nice pic

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois, USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Specialized
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden on the nasty city streets of Chicago and singletrack as well, and most every bike I've ever owned has had a kickstand. I've never had an incident caused by my kickstand. No, I don't own any carbon bikes, and I'm a Clyde, so the last thing I need to worry about is the one pound or so that a Greenfield stand adds to my bike.

    That all said, the worry I would have with the "lean the tire against a pole" method is that you are now putting the entire weight of the bike on one spot of the wheel, and it's a side load at that. I have to wonder if you are not asking to put your wheel out of true by doing this? Thoughts anyone?
    Schwinn '80 Cruiser, '91 CrossCut, '91 CrissCross Cannondale'10 Quick 4
    Marin '09 ING Direct Special Edition Kentfield FS; Performance '93 X103

  7. #32
    Senior Member catonec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    burlington VT.
    Posts
    2,472
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmith3530 View Post
    ..............I would have with the "lean the tire against a pole" method is that you are now putting the entire weight of the bike on one spot of the wheel, and it's a side load at that. I have to wonder if you are not asking to put your wheel out of true by doing this..............
    As demonstrated in post #18 , the bike is still upright. the majority of the weight is still on the apex of the tires, the sideload is very minimum. I cant imagine a wheel being weak enough to deform from this force, if so its time for new wheels anyways.
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

  8. #33
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,946
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmith3530 View Post

    That all said, the worry I would have with the "lean the tire against a pole" method is that you are now putting the entire weight of the bike on one spot of the wheel, and it's a side load at that. I have to wonder if you are not asking to put your wheel out of true by doing this? Thoughts anyone?
    Nope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •