Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Alamitos, Calif.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Recomendations: Platform Pedal ?

    My wife's Diamondback has the the stock plastic/nylon platform pedals that the bike came with and I'm not too impressed with them. I'm not looking for anything too "technical", just something with some smoother bearings. Almost all of our riding is on bike paths. No off-road, mud or rainy conditions. I'm looking for recommendations under $50 per pair and still use a platform configuration.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of suggestions in this recent thread in Commuting- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...latform-pedals.

    I still behind the recommendation I made in that thread, as they are OEM on my bike and have no reason to try something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Alamitos, Calif.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. I used the search function and nothing came up.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    lebanon oregon
    My Bikes
    trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put these on one of my bikes, and am very happy with them.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Platfo...edals+platform

  5. #5
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Plenty of suggestions in this recent thread in Commuting- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...latform-pedals.

    I still behind the recommendation I made in that thread, as they are OEM on my bike and have no reason to try something else.
    I'm not the OP, but I'm also looking for good platform pedals. If you wouldn't mind my asking, what does 9/16" mean?

    Thanks!
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  6. #6
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    I'm not the OP, but I'm also looking for good platform pedals. If you wouldn't mind my asking, what does 9/16" mean?

    Thanks!
    I had to double check before posting (my wrenching skills are somewhat limited); the the "9/16" refers to the size of the spindle that connect the pedal to the crank arm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal#Attachment
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  7. #7
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    I had to double check before posting (my wrenching skills are somewhat limited); the the "9/16" refers to the size of the spindle that connect the pedal to the crank arm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal#Attachment
    Thanks! Just checked my crank (FSA Vero 50/34). Its spindle size is 9/16", so the pedals you recommend should fit my bike just fine.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    2
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MKS are a favourite platform pedal. The Sylvan touring model is wide and double sided.
    +1 I use them on my hybrid and road bikes. More info here.
    Veni, Vidi, Bici
    2013 Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc, 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 5

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ergon offers the safety benefit of a wrap around reflector + the well engineered shape
    of the curved surface places your foot well on the pedal and the traction grip material
    works well , its in the center rather than little metal pins on the edges of the typical DH/BMX type.

    big enough surface to work with soft sole shoes .. [where cage plate pedals like Sylvan dig in]

  10. #10
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,556
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I like Odyssey Twisted PC. $14 a pair at my LBS. Grip a pair of Vans quite nicely, it's "almost" like running clipless. Bearings are quite smooth and still nice after about 4000 miles.

    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  11. #11
    Senior Member dhunley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Welgo MG-1 pedals on my Crosstrail after I broke the stock plastic pedals. I like them a lot.

    I asked this question a while back. Heres the thread.
    2012 Specialized Crosstrail Sport

  12. #12
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    I like Odyssey Twisted PC. $14 a pair at my LBS. Grip a pair of Vans quite nicely, it's "almost" like running clipless. Bearings are quite smooth and still nice after about 4000 miles.

    Are those pedals designed for shoes with soft soles, or will they work just as well with hard-soled cycling shoes? I have a pair of Shimano SPD-compatible shoes. I'm not quite ready to attach cleats to them yet...
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My Bikes
    BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 Alivio/Deore
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dalhard, if you have SPD compatible shoes, why not go with the following Shimano 324s and have access to both platform and clipless? Use the platform side for now and practice with the clipless SPD system until you are ready to go that route.


    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html

  14. #14
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiandude View Post
    Dalhard, if you have SPD compatible shoes, why not go with the following Shimano 324s and have access to both platform and clipless? Use the platform side for now and practice with the clipless SPD system until you are ready to go that route.


    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html
    That's a very good idea! I've somehow never thought of this possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Now, Shimano also have the PD-A530 dual (SPD/Platform) pedals, which seem to be for road/touring. What are the differences between road/touring pedals and MTB ones? In my case, almost all my rides are on paved roads. Should I choose the A530?
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My Bikes
    BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 Alivio/Deore
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the 530s weight less and probably would be a better choice for you since you are mostly on paved surfaces. I'm in the same boat myself. I have a set of SPD shoes coming but I don't yet have the pedals and I was also debating these same two pedals. Ultimately, I may go with something a little more expensive in the Crankbrothers Mallet IIs but if not, I'll opt for the 530s.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiandude View Post
    Dalhard, if you have SPD compatible shoes, why not go with the following Shimano 324s and have access to both platform and clipless? Use the platform side for now and practice with the clipless SPD system until you are ready to go that route.


    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html
    I have these, and they are excellent. Only one problem - I have to adjust seat height if I regularly switch between SPDs and regular shoes because my cycling shoes have a much taller sole. However, riding with platforms is pretty rare now - I just walk in the SPDs instead. Feels weird to cycle without being clipped in
    http://treadrightly.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiandude View Post
    I believe the 530s weight less and probably would be a better choice for you since you are mostly on paved surfaces. I'm in the same boat myself. I have a set of SPD shoes coming but I don't yet have the pedals and I was also debating these same two pedals. Ultimately, I may go with something a little more expensive in the Crankbrothers Mallet IIs but if not, I'll opt for the 530s.
    Thanks! I will probably go with the A530s. Thanks again for the advice.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My Bikes
    BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 Alivio/Deore
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Thanks! I will probably go with the A530s. Thanks again for the advice.
    Anytime! I had done a lot of homework regarding all the different toes of pedals and when you posted what you looking for, it immediately struck me that we were looking for the same thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •