Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    Fearless Isaiahc72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.1 FX, '95 Giant Attraction
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek 7.1 and 7.2 fx definitely falls in your price range. I ride the 7.1fx and really love it. Basically any bike from Trek's FX line should be perfect for you
    IC

  2. #27
    Junior Member Riley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    I bought a Trek 7.4 earlier this year and have put over 3,000 miles on it. Other than normal maintenance I have had zero problems with the bike and when the tires wore out I replaced them with 28mm tires. I have had no problem riding metric centuries and kept up with the roadies with the 7.4.

    It sounds like Trek bikes are pretty reliable machines! Did you compare it with or try any of the other bikes in the FX range?

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Carlyle
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much else to add from the other Trek comments other than to say I am another very happy Trek owner....mine being the 7.3.

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
    It sounds like Trek bikes are pretty reliable machines! Did you compare it with or try any of the other bikes in the FX range?
    I looked at Specialized bikes before I bought the Trek. There a some very fine bike brands out there but. For me it came down to the bike shop that was most enthusiastic about their bikes and would offer the best service after the sale.

  5. #30
    Junior Member Riley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
    I don't have much else to add from the other Trek comments other than to say I am another very happy Trek owner....mine being the 7.3.
    Glad to hear the faith in Trek bikes is widespread! The 7.5 looks like a really lovely bike, but I'm wondering if it would be a waste of money if I haven't cycled in a while; would I notice the difference?
    Did you try any other models other than the Trek 7.3?

  6. #31
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
    Glad to hear the faith in Trek bikes is widespread! The 7.5 looks like a really lovely bike, but I'm wondering if it would be a waste of money if I haven't cycled in a while; would I notice the difference?
    Did you try any other models other than the Trek 7.3?
    I hadn't ridden for over 25 years when I bought my 7.5. Okay, to be precise, I had ridden an old mountain bike (Gary Fisher Marlin) for a month before I decided to buy a new bike, but before that, I had been inactive for that many years. And I did test ride quite a few bikes. I picked the 7.5 because it felt the most comfortable for me. I'm glad I followed my instinct. I love the bike so much, I feel guilty on a rare day that I didn't ride it!

    My message: No, it's not going to be a waste of money for you if it's the right bike for you.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  7. #32
    Junior Member Riley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    My message: No, it's not going to be a waste of money for you if it's the right bike for you.
    That is true; if it's the right bike for me it'll be worth the money! Well I'm very excited, today is the day to go and try out bikes I hope at least one of the stores has the 7.5 in stock still! I'll let you know how I get on

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Carlyle
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
    Glad to hear the faith in Trek bikes is widespread! The 7.5 looks like a really lovely bike, but I'm wondering if it would be a waste of money if I haven't cycled in a while; would I notice the difference?
    Did you try any other models other than the Trek 7.3?
    The question you need to ask yourself is it worth spending an additional $450 for the 7.5 vs7.3. The 7.5 has different gears, fork, tires etc.

    For me, getting back on a bike after 30 years of not riding meant that I probably would not fully appreciate the differences between the two bikes. If/when I become more versed with the subtleties of better bike parts, I can always upgrade and so can you.

    good luck with your decision.....

    Oh yea one other point to consider, you will likely spend another several hundred dollars on accessories for your new bike. Pedals, lights, bags, repair kits, clothing can add another $500 to your cycling activity.

  9. #34
    Junior Member Riley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
    The question you need to ask yourself is it worth spending an additional $450 for the 7.5 vs7.3. The 7.5 has different gears, fork, tires etc.

    For me, getting back on a bike after 30 years of not riding meant that I probably would not fully appreciate the differences between the two bikes. If/when I become more versed with the subtleties of better bike parts, I can always upgrade and so can you.

    good luck with your decision.....

    Oh yea one other point to consider, you will likely spend another several hundred dollars on accessories for your new bike. Pedals, lights, bags, repair kits, clothing can add another $500 to your cycling activity.
    Thankfully I have most of those things already from cycling before but I'm sure you are right that I will want to upgrade at some point.
    I will try out as many bikes as I can and see if I can notice the difference between them

  10. #35
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
    That is true; if it's the right bike for me it'll be worth the money! Well I'm very excited, today is the day to go and try out bikes I hope at least one of the stores has the 7.5 in stock still! I'll let you know how I get on
    Good luck!
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  11. #36
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,174
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can test ride real bikes in bike shops./

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Broad Brook CT
    My Bikes
    jamis 2002 komodo, trek 3700,1972 puch brigadier, bianchi advantage
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to sure about the uk, but some lbs offer refurbished bikes. it's a good way to get on the learning curve without the big investment.

  13. #38
    Junior Member Riley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a look at some Pinnacle and Specialised bikes in the local shop but none felt quite right. I found a brand new Trek 7.5 FX on eBay for £350 with the right frame size so I snapped it up!

  14. #39
    Junior Member Riley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been out on it several times and I love it very very quick!
    Added some sks chromoplastic mudguards to save my derrière getting muddy but all in all it's a very sleek bike! Thanks for all your help in choosing which one to go for image.jpgimage.jpg

  15. #40
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    5,857
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the black - they disappear on the tires.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •