Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-13, 01:21 AM   #1
draco_m
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hybrid Advice - Specialized Vita vs Ariel

Hello!

Wife is in the market for a hybrid-style bicycle. There are some insane deals on leftover 2013s.

Today she test rode a Specialized Vita and Ariel. They were both in her correct size (women's small.)

She will be riding 80% on paved paths and roads (some roads are rough) and 20% on hard-packed dirt.

The Vita has 700x32 tires and rigid forks. It has rim-brakes.

The Ariel was actually the disc version. It has 700x38 tires, mechanical disc brakes, and Suntour 60mm front suspension.

She liked both bikes but the test rides were on pavement only.

It seems to me the Vita is the way to go. I've read that hybrid bikes don't really benefit from front suspension. And are mechanical disc brakes any better than rim brakes?

The tires give me pause, though. Does a 700x32 tire do okay on hard-packed dirt? Does it give a decent ride?

Which bike do you think would be better for her needs? Thanks for any feedback.
draco_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 01:38 AM   #2
jsdavis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The 32mm tires can work on dirt if it's not completely smooth. I ride on hardpack dirt with 28 road tires daily and that's not fun because the tire is completely smooth. It's not scary or anything but it does squirm around a bit. Just be careful about it. That said though, I've lost it with my hybrid that has 42mm tires when I took a turn too aggressively and the bike slid out and fell over. If it really bugs you, check the clearance on the fork and frame and see if you can fit something bigger.

Disc brakes vs rim brakes...either one should be fine. Disc brakes work a better in the rain but that's about it. There are ups and downs for both.
jsdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 09:29 AM   #3
draco_m
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdavis View Post
The 32mm tires can work on dirt if it's not completely smooth. I ride on hardpack dirt with 28 road tires daily and that's not fun because the tire is completely smooth. It's not scary or anything but it does squirm around a bit. Just be careful about it. That said though, I've lost it with my hybrid that has 42mm tires when I took a turn too aggressively and the bike slid out and fell over. If it really bugs you, check the clearance on the fork and frame and see if you can fit something bigger.

Disc brakes vs rim brakes...either one should be fine. Disc brakes work a better in the rain but that's about it. There are ups and downs for both.
Thanks so much for the feedback. This is the tire the Vita comes with. Would this be enough tread for a hard-packed dirt path?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...e-tires/nimbus
draco_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 11:53 AM   #4
mystang52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, my wife tried and disliked the Vita but loved the Trek 7.1 FX, which is what we bought.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 12:15 PM   #5
draco_m
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
FWIW, my wife tried and disliked the Vita but loved the Trek 7.1 FX, which is what we bought.
Thanks for that. Could you expand a bit on what you disliked about the Vita but liked on the Trek? There is not a trek dealer real close to us so we sorta prefer to get something local. However, I'd like to get your thoughts in more detail since you tried them both.
draco_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 02:02 PM   #6
mystang52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, they couldn't seem to get the configuration of seat and handlebars in a position that was comfortable for her (wife is 5'8"). Second, she felt the shifting wasn't as good (maybe 'coz of that same configuration issue?). The Trek fit her like a glove, after a few small tweaks in seat and handlebar. And the shifting was easier for her.
I rode it, and told her I wish my 20+ year old Giant hybrid would magically die so I could buy the guy's Trek version as well!

Last edited by mystang52; 12-01-13 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add clarification
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 03:48 PM   #7
themishmosh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Trek Valencia has disc brakes. I hate them. I think there are good disc brakes and then there are disc brakes that come on low-mid priced hybrids. I would take rim brakes any day.
themishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 04:09 PM   #8
decosse
Senior Member
 
decosse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Bikes: 2013 Bianchi Milano Dama, 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draco_m View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback. This is the tire the Vita comes with. Would this be enough tread for a hard-packed dirt path?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...e-tires/nimbus
I'm not sure how much this will help, but I've had a 2014 Vita Sport for just over a month, and I really enjoy it! My riding is mostly residential areas with bike lanes and paved bike paths. The bike is fast, smooth, and they did the body geometry fit beautifully. There are short bits of path I go on that are decayed crushed rock, packed, almost like a very coarse sand. The bike feels very stabile on that, and not bad on the sand that gets washed/blown onto the bike lanes (which can be kind of like riding on ball bearings)
decosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 10:50 PM   #9
draco_m
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by decosse View Post
I'm not sure how much this will help, but I've had a 2014 Vita Sport for just over a month, and I really enjoy it! My riding is mostly residential areas with bike lanes and paved bike paths. The bike is fast, smooth, and they did the body geometry fit beautifully. There are short bits of path I go on that are decayed crushed rock, packed, almost like a very coarse sand. The bike feels very stabile on that, and not bad on the sand that gets washed/blown onto the bike lanes (which can be kind of like riding on ball bearings)
Thank you. That is very helpful. The salesperson at the Specialized dealer told us the tires on the Vita are designed for a hybrid and adequate for hard packed dirt. So your experience seems to confirm that. Thanks and enjoy your new bike!!
draco_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 10:52 PM   #10
draco_m
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks all for the responses! My wife is the proud new owner of a 2013 Specialized Vita. It's the cool black and hot pink color scheme. We took it for a ride this afternoon and she likes it. Yeah!
draco_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 12:04 AM   #11
decosse
Senior Member
 
decosse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Bikes: 2013 Bianchi Milano Dama, 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draco_m View Post
Thanks all for the responses! My wife is the proud new owner of a 2013 Specialized Vita. It's the cool black and hot pink color scheme. We took it for a ride this afternoon and she likes it. Yeah!
Congratulations! Enjoy!
decosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.