Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    wider tires for Rapid 2

    What would be the widest tire I could fit into a Giant Rapid 2?
    Rim specs are Giant S-R2, Double Wall and it comes fitted with 700x25. Since I am planning riding it on very bad roads (bumps, pot holes, etc) I think wider tires would help comfort wise.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    1,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own a Rapid, but I'm quite familiar with the bike. From memory, I would say you could definitely fit 28s; 32s would be better (given what you say here and in your other thread about your road conditions), but I think that would be pretty tight. The only way to know for sure is to have the shop slip a wheel w/32s into the frame (front and rear).

    Just a thought: you mention the Roam as an option in your other thread. Is the Giant Escape series available to you? That would be a much better option than the Rapid (again, given how you describe your roads) -- i.e. an Escape will easily take up to 35c tires, possibly even wider. The same is true of the Specialized Sirrus and Trek FX bikes.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately. the Escape series is not available here , so my choices right now are limited to the Rapid 2, or Roam (1 & 2). I could also get a good deal on an used 2011 XR1 in almost new condition.

    Based on the way i like to ride and road conditions, Iīm inclined to believe that the Roam might suit me better...but that Rapid is a thing of beauty. Trying to see if there is a way of making it less harsh on my body.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cbr9927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Michelin Pro 4 Service Couse tires, I have them with 23mm tires at 90pds and they feel very supple.

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much clearance is there in the frame? if limited , all you can do is get tougher
    puncture band protected tires ..

    They race the old cobbled roads on 25mm tires on the Paris Roubaix classic.

    'Hybrid' up north means they accept a 35mm tire ..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 02-13-14 at 02:23 PM.

  6. #6
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,138
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick Google shows that bike with caliper('road') brakes,correct? These will be your the biggest limiting factor,besides rim width and frame/fork clearance. You prolly won't be able to fit tires much wider than 28,maybe 32mm without swapping out the calipers.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  7. #7
    Senior Member RoadTire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1, '75 Sekine, '90 Giant Mtb, Raleigh M20, Fuji Nevada mtb.
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr9927 View Post
    Try Michelin Pro 4 Service Couse tires, I have them with 23mm tires at 90pds and they feel very supple.
    I just received the Pro 4 Service Course in 25mm, and as expected they are wider than 25mm. I measured it today,at 100lb, on my run-of-the-mill rim at 26.8 mm (dial caliper), more or less confirming what I've read about these being oversized. So if you are looking for a more comfortable tire, a little wider than yours, these might fit the bill. My critera for purchasing tires was some imagined magical comfort and minimal rolling resistance on most roads and a very smooth MUP. I expect some crappy pavement, hope to miss most of the potholes. Below is a link to my thread where I received some very excellent advice about tires.

    Caveat: my criteria did not include riding on gravel or road I know are hazardous to damaging tires, and will be prepared for small puncture-flats. I might even get the 23mm just because the will no doubt ride extremely well, and look better from my POV.



    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...fitness-riding
    Last edited by RoadTire; 02-13-14 at 06:54 PM.
    FB4K - Free Bikes 4 Kidz. This fall 5000 bikes have been donated and we will have them all set to go by Dec 6. That's 5000 kids getting bicycles for Christmas, just in the Twin Cities.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    1,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no 'magic' involved! It's simple physics: for a given tire (i.e. identical construction/materials), the 25mm version will have lower rolling resistance and be more comfortable (lower pressure required for a given rider) than the 23; the 28 better still. Reason: the lower required pressure allows the tire to deform more easily over road imperfections, hence lower rolling resistance -- the tire flows over/swallows up the imperfections rather than deflecting vertically (lost energy). That is why the pros have been tending to go to 25s, and in some circumstances (e.g. Paris-Roubaix) will use 27/28 tubulars.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody for the great input. Iīll make it to my LBS this weekend to find out what is the widest tire size the Rapid can accomodate and hopefully make a decision.

  10. #10
    Senior Member cbr9927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadTire View Post
    I just received the Pro 4 Service Course in 25mm, and as expected they are wider than 25mm. I measured it today,at 100lb, on my run-of-the-mill rim at 26.8 mm (dial caliper), more or less confirming what I've read about these being oversized. So if you are looking for a more comfortable tire, a little wider than yours, these might fit the bill. My critera for purchasing tires was some imagined magical comfort and minimal rolling resistance on most roads and a very smooth MUP. I expect some crappy pavement, hope to miss most of the potholes. Below is a link to my thread where I received some very excellent advice about tires.

    Caveat: my criteria did not include riding on gravel or road I know are hazardous to damaging tires, and will be prepared for small puncture-flats. I might even get the 23mm just because the will no doubt ride extremely well, and look better from my POV.



    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...fitness-riding
    Yeah, that's the 1st thing I noticed was the sizing was off, no way did it look like a 23mm that I paid for. I have Michelins on both my bikes now and really like the softer ride vs Conti tires.

  11. #11
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,769
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ask the LBS to swap some larger tires, wheels and all, from bikes on display. My LBS does this all the time, to accommodate customers questions. That way, you will be able to see, exactly, how they fit.

    Wider tires, make a HUGE contribution, to comfort, and utility.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 02-14-14 at 07:10 AM.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked with the LBS and the widest the Rapid can accomodate is 28. What do you guys think of this tire size and bike combination for every city use, in less that ideal terrain conditions?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    1,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmonti View Post
    Checked with the LBS and the widest the Rapid can accomodate is 28. What do you guys think of this tire size and bike combination for every city use, in less that ideal terrain conditions?
    There's really only one way to find out (you know what's coming!): try it out. That said, a few suggestions. I've re-read your other thread; based on that, it would appear you're not too heavy and that your riding/riding conditions pretty much parallel mine. I'm much older (62), and have fairly severe degenerative osteoarthritis (spine, wrists, etc.) -- I'm very sensitive to a 'harsh' ride. I ride about 6-7000 kms a year on really, really bad road/MUP surfaces.

    I ride a flat-bar road bike; 25c Continental GP4000s late spring through late fall, switching to 32c Panaracers in the cold months (my bike happens to have the clearance). I'll be upping the Contis to 28 this year, now that they're available in this size.

    I have no problems at all; I suspect you won't either but only you can work that out. Here's what I would do. Arrange a decent test ride on the Rapid. Given your weight, have the shop set the tire pressure at around 85psi/rear and 75psi/front. This will simulate how you could safely (avoiding pinch flats) set the pressure on 28s. Ride. Don't avoid the surfaces you'd normally encounter; ride as you normally would, just keep in mind that with 25s (I believe these are stock on the Rapid) you have the pressure just a little bit low -- although, I weigh 160 and ride my 25c tires at 80/70 with absolutely no problem.

    If you find all is good ... done. If not, then probably (realistically) something like the Roam 1 would be a better choice for you/where you are and the limited choices in bike available to you.

  14. #14
    Senior Member skycomag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    north providence, r.i.
    My Bikes
    gt traffic 4.0
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmonti View Post
    What would be the widest tire I could fit into a Giant Rapid 2?
    Rim specs are Giant S-R2, Double Wall and it comes fitted with 700x25. Since I am planning riding it on very bad roads (bumps, pot holes, etc) I think wider tires would help comfort wise.
    go to this site an will show how to measure yours and chart to what fits as long your fork a wide enough:http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

    hope this will be helpful.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmonti View Post
    Checked with the LBS and the widest the Rapid can accomodate is 28.
    Really? I run 28c tires on my 2011 Rapid 3 (it came from the factory with 28c tires as well) with full SKS fenders that are designed for up to 37c tires and there's plenty of clearance.

  16. #16
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,769
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask hem to swap a bigger tire in there. Or, measure the clearance around the existing tire.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  17. #17
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,138
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCat_Ford View Post
    Really? I run 28c tires on my 2011 Rapid 3 (it came from the factory with 28c tires as well) with full SKS fenders that are designed for up to 37c tires and there's plenty of clearance.
    You may have different calipers. Most road bike calipers won't handle anything past 28's,but long reach touring ones will.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    You may have different calipers. Most road bike calipers won't handle anything past 28's,but long reach touring ones will.
    My Rapid came with Tektro R358 calipers from the factory; I believe they are long reach calipers.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    There's really only one way to find out (you know what's coming!): try it out. That said, a few suggestions. I've re-read your other thread; based on that, it would appear you're not too heavy and that your riding/riding conditions pretty much parallel mine. I'm much older (62), and have fairly severe degenerative osteoarthritis (spine, wrists, etc.) -- I'm very sensitive to a 'harsh' ride. I ride about 6-7000 kms a year on really, really bad road/MUP surfaces.

    I ride a flat-bar road bike; 25c Continental GP4000s late spring through late fall, switching to 32c Panaracers in the cold months (my bike happens to have the clearance). I'll be upping the Contis to 28 this year, now that they're available in this size.

    I have no problems at all; I suspect you won't either but only you can work that out. Here's what I would do. Arrange a decent test ride on the Rapid. Given your weight, have the shop set the tire pressure at around 85psi/rear and 75psi/front. This will simulate how you could safely (avoiding pinch flats) set the pressure on 28s. Ride. Don't avoid the surfaces you'd normally encounter; ride as you normally would, just keep in mind that with 25s (I believe these are stock on the Rapid) you have the pressure just a little bit low -- although, I weigh 160 and ride my 25c tires at 80/70 with absolutely no problem.

    If you find all is good ... done. If not, then probably (realistically) something like the Roam 1 would be a better choice for you/where you are and the limited choices in bike available to you.
    Thatīs some great advice badger1. Thank you.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    1,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmonti View Post
    Thatīs some great advice badger1. Thank you.
    Most welcome; good luck with your search/decision.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update. I took the Rapid and Roam for a thorough test ride and finally went with the Roam 1. The Rapid felt very light and fast, yet quite unforgiving with the uneven road conditions and my own riding style, which tends to be somewhat more agressive than your average road rider. The Roam felt just right. Only 20 miles in it so far, but enjoying it a lot. Thanks everyone for the input.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    1,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmonti View Post
    Just a quick update. I took the Rapid and Roam for a thorough test ride and finally went with the Roam 1. The Rapid felt very light and fast, yet quite unforgiving with the uneven road conditions and my own riding style, which tends to be somewhat more agressive than your average road rider. The Roam felt just right. Only 20 miles in it so far, but enjoying it a lot. Thanks everyone for the input.
    Nothing like a new bike! Well done; seems to me you went about this (choice) exactly the right way, thus ending up with what was right for you/your riding conditions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •