Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   Got light headed during ride (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/937247-got-light-headed-during-ride.html)

calyco 03-08-14 12:42 AM

Got light headed during ride
 
Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. I got back into riding last summer and did it for 6 months with no prob most of the time. Though I did get light headed during a couple of rides, wasn't recently but just something I remembered and wanted to prepare for before I go back out in the spring. I did about 20 miles daily, at peak 5 days a week. I do the 20 in like hour and 15 minutes. For breakfast I would have say a big bowl of cheerios. During the 20 mile, I would stop at 10 to take a break and chug like 10 ounces of water. 2-3 times I felt light headed at the 10 mile break stop. I didnt feel like I was pushing it that hard, prob 80%. Any thoughts on what might be the cause? Or maybe foods or drinks I should intake before the ride? I am 5'8 and 140lbs, 5-10lbs less than my normal weight when I wasn't as active. Any info would appreciated, thanks!

jbchybridrider 03-08-14 07:48 AM

What I think is cheerios is not giving you enough nutrition even in large quantity's. Try less cheerios and more fruits like chopped strawberries and bananas heaped on your cereal and yoghurt on the side. Drink a large glass of water before breakfast and start drinking from the time you start riding, sip water all through your ride. If you need another bottle then get one or carry some change to buy some at your turn around point. You are the engine and you need to keep the fire burning.

lopek77 03-08-14 08:12 AM

Remember that water/drink and food takes about 40 mins to take effect. You may try to drink less, but more often.

Mvcrash 03-08-14 08:49 AM

Water is not always the best thing to drink. I usually mix my water with Gatorade which provides other stuff as well. I mix it because I don't care for sweetness of the drink at full strength.

giantcfr1 03-08-14 09:20 AM

Don't follow my regime for sure...

A short ride say 40 to 50 km, I have coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride.

A ride of about 90 to 120 km, I eat either plenty of rissoles and vegetables the night before, or spaghetti with plenty of mince.
For breakfast... coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride as above. During the ride, one "sugary" coffee and a snickers at about the 35 / 40 km mark. Then around half way a reasonable lunch at a cafe. Usually includes some salad, rice and chicken. On the way home it's water, unless it's summer time. If summer I drink about 500ml of Aquarius (salt and mineral suppliment) later in the ride.

Note that all my rides include mountain climbs, in which I require plenty of sugar.

This is my favourite lunch and lunch spot...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps07f571f5.jpg

prathmann 03-08-14 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calyco (Post 16559407)
During the 20 mile, I would stop at 10 to take a break and chug like 10 ounces of water. 2-3 times I felt light headed at the 10 mile break stop.

What were the circumstances? It's normal for blood pressure to drop a bit while resting after exercise and if you then get up at all suddenly that can lead to a feeling of light headedness.

UnfilteredDregs 03-08-14 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prathmann (Post 16559917)
What were the circumstances? It's normal for blood pressure to drop a bit while resting after exercise and if you then get up at all suddenly that can lead to a feeling of light headedness.

Yup, vasodilation...

Wanderer 03-08-14 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giantcfr1 (Post 16559871)
Don't follow my regime for sure...

A short ride say 40 to 50 km, I have coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride.

A ride of about 90 to 120 km, I eat either plenty of rissoles and vegetables the night before, or spaghetti with plenty of mince.
For breakfast... coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride as above. During the ride, one "sugary" coffee and a snickers at about the 35 / 40 km mark. Then around half way a reasonable lunch at a cafe. Usually includes some salad, rice and chicken. On the way home it's water, unless it's summer time. If summer I drink about 500ml of Aquarius (salt and mineral suppliment) later in the ride.

Note that all my rides include mountain climbs, in which I require plenty of sugar.

This is my favourite lunch and lunch spot...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps07f571f5.jpg

Wow, does that ever look good.........................

Dave Cutter 03-08-14 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calyco (Post 16559407)
....... I did get light headed during a couple of rides, wasn't recently but just something I remembered and wanted to prepare for before I go back out in the spring......

I read somewhere once years ago that doctors actually receive training on what people might mean when they use terms like "light headed". Since I am not a doctor.... I missed that training. So... I am going to overlook that part of your post (because it might require a doctor) and just respond to what jumps out at me.

People don't tend to get up at night to rehydrate and a half cup of milk on cheerios isn't a lot of hydration ether. A 20 mile ride before breakfast shouldn't be a problem for most people... as far as nutrition is concerned. But not hydrating is a common problem with cyclists. Often the breeze created by our speed makes it "feel" like we remain a lot dryer than we do. Cyclist sweat bunches.

Include a big glass of juice (or juice drink), coffee, or water with breakfast (or as soon as you get up). Then... rehydrate more often while cycling. Instead of taking on large amounts of fluids at one time. I use a "4 mile rule". A small drink of water (I often take green tea with me instead) every four miles... thirsty or not.

loimpact 03-08-14 10:26 AM

It's gotta be something fairly normal cuz I've had it happen myself and I'm a runner by day.

It's only happened a couple times, but one time I literally had to stop. I don't know exactly why it happens but it's legit. I just stop, step off the bike and regain composure before starting up again. I'm otherwise healthy with normal BP, heartrate, etc. so I wouldn't put much stock into it unless it becomes chronic, but still don't think yourself too weird. I promise, not many people have a healthier cardiovascular system than myself.

If it helps, I will say the longer I've been riding (years, not miles at a time) I'm noticing it less & less so there's that. (shrug)

Delmarva 03-08-14 03:05 PM

Yes, I too think you may not be hydrated enough for a fast ride early in the morning. Try more water and fruit juice.

muzpuf 03-08-14 03:19 PM

burger king bacon double cheeseburger kids meal

Null66 03-08-14 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter (Post 16559967)
I read somewhere once years ago that doctors actually receive training on what people might mean when they use terms like "light headed". Since I am not a doctor.... I missed that training. So... I am going to overlook that part of your post (because it might require a doctor) and just respond to what jumps out at me.

People don't tend to get up at night to rehydrate and a half cup of milk on cheerios isn't a lot of hydration ether. A 20 mile ride before breakfast shouldn't be a problem for most people... as far as nutrition is concerned. But not hydrating is a common problem with cyclists. Often the breeze created by our speed makes it "feel" like we remain a lot dryer than we do. Cyclist sweat bunches.

Include a big glass of juice (or juice drink), coffee, or water with breakfast (or as soon as you get up). Then... rehydrate more often while cycling. Instead of taking on large amounts of fluids at one time. I use a "4 mile rule". A small drink of water (I often take green tea with me instead) every four miles... thirsty or not.

I read that 40% of adult population is chronically dehydrated.

Dave Cutter 03-08-14 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Null66 (Post 16560871)
I read that 40% of adult population is chronically dehydrated.

I've read similar stories. And.... or course hydrating was just my first thought. The OP's doctor may have a completely different take on the "light headed" part... that I overlooked.

I've heard of guys "cutting back" on fluids before cycling.... because of an unavailability of restrooms. Some people have difficulty handling a water bottle while cycling. Older guys... sometime worry about having to pee too easily. Maybe... I should have included a link:

http://www.h4hinitiative.com/tools/urine-colour-chart

lopek77 03-08-14 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giantcfr1 (Post 16559871)
Don't follow my regime for sure...

A short ride say 40 to 50 km, I have coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride.

A ride of about 90 to 120 km, I eat either plenty of rissoles and vegetables the night before, or spaghetti with plenty of mince.
For breakfast... coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride as above. During the ride, one "sugary" coffee and a snickers at about the 35 / 40 km mark. Then around half way a reasonable lunch at a cafe. Usually includes some salad, rice and chicken. On the way home it's water, unless it's summer time. If summer I drink about 500ml of Aquarius (salt and mineral suppliment) later in the ride.

Note that all my rides include mountain climbs, in which I require plenty of sugar.

This is my favourite lunch and lunch spot...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps07f571f5.jpg

That food looks very tasty...My next vacations - Japan! Damn you! lol

calyco 03-09-14 01:51 AM

Oddly enough I do that all on a regular basis when not riding - coffee in the morn or fruit on cereal, vitamin water mixed with water. I skipped all that to avoid stomach acid issues that I wouldn't want during my rides.. or stomachache, bathroom breaks etc.. Guess I'll throw that back in and see how it goes.. thanks for all the good info! The lightheadness happened when I stopped while on the bike, I turned to look behind me and felt slightly light headed like low blood pressure and wobbled a little. Enough that it got me a little worried. I took deep breaths for about 5 minutes, drank some water and then continued when I felt OK. This has only happened 3 times during the six months so not that bad. I had a thorough checkup couple months back. Blood, blood pressure, EKG etc. and everything was perfect, other than occasional stomach acid I mentioned before or acid reflux, nothing wrong health wise.

giantcfr1 03-09-14 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 16559929)
Wow, does that ever look good.........................

Quote:

Originally Posted by lopek77 (Post 16561673)
That food looks very tasty...My next vacations - Japan! Damn you! lol

Thanks guys, I am spoilt living and riding here in Kyoto. I have fantastic road and mountain bike courses all around me, and plenty of cafe' / restaurants to choose from on the rides.
I have to admit, the ride home is much slower than getting there but hey, I'm in no hurry.

giantcfr1 03-09-14 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calyco (Post 16561795)
Oddly enough I do that all on a regular basis when not riding - coffee in the morn or fruit on cereal, vitamin water mixed with water. I skipped all that to avoid stomach acid issues that I wouldn't want during my rides.. or stomachache, bathroom breaks etc.. Guess I'll throw that back in and see how it goes.. thanks for all the good info! The lightheadness happened when I stopped while on the bike, I turned to look behind me and felt slightly light headed like low blood pressure and wobbled a little. Enough that it got me a little worried. I took deep breaths for about 5 minutes, drank some water and then continued when I felt OK. This has only happened 3 times during the six months so not that bad. I had a thorough checkup couple months back. Blood, blood pressure, EKG etc. and everything was perfect, other than occasional stomach acid I mentioned before or acid reflux, nothing wrong health wise.

Mate, I'd hazard a guess that you are just a little 'flustered' when you stop causing a bit of a head rush.

jbchybridrider 03-10-14 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giantcfr1 (Post 16559871)
Don't follow my regime for sure...

A short ride say 40 to 50 km, I have coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride.

A ride of about 90 to 120 km, I eat either plenty of rissoles and vegetables the night before, or spaghetti with plenty of mince.
For breakfast... coffee, toast and yogurt, then water during the ride as above. During the ride, one "sugary" coffee and a snickers at about the 35 / 40 km mark. Then around half way a reasonable lunch at a cafe. Usually includes some salad, rice and chicken. On the way home it's water, unless it's summer time. If summer I drink about 500ml of Aquarius (salt and mineral suppliment) later in the ride.

Note that all my rides include mountain climbs, in which I require plenty of sugar.

This is my favourite lunch and lunch spot...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps07f571f5.jpg

I don't know how manage a meal like that half way through a ride and still look like a stick man :) I'd take an hour to eat it then have an afternoon nap.

giantcfr1 03-10-14 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider (Post 16564357)
I don't know how manage a meal like that half way through a ride and still look like a stick man :) I'd take an hour to eat it then have an afternoon nap.

AND...during summer, the same restaurant changes to an all-you-can-eat buffet. Includes ice-cream and desserts. BTW, I'm a fat bastard now. I've gained 4 kg in the past year. Now I'm 64kg. :twitchy: I put that down to joining Costco though. :p


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 AM.