Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon VS Trek 7.7 (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/942079-specialized-sirrus-comp-carbon-vs-trek-7-7-a.html)

KonaRider125 04-07-14 10:12 AM

Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon VS Trek 7.7
 
I am looking to buy another hybrid that is better suited for long road rides than my Kona Splice(essentially a entry level MTB with 32c tires). I really like the hybrid concept, I decided I want another one instead of a full on road bike.

My choices have come down to the Specialized Sirrus Comp carbon and the Trek 7.7. I really cannot make up my mind, is one a significantly better value than the other?

Also those who have either bike I'd like to hear likes/dislikes and see pics if you have them. Thanks. :D

dynaryder 04-07-14 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaRider125 (Post 16649306)
is one a significantly better value than the other?

Yes,the one that fits you better and who's ride/handling you prefer. The right bike for you is priceless.

themishmosh 04-07-14 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 16650380)
Yes,the one that fits you better and who's ride/handling you prefer. The right bike for you is priceless.

Problem with that is both these bike are high end and almost never in stock with a dealer. Usually you order it in.

That said, they are more or less equivalent and I think you would be happy with either.

DowneasTTer 04-07-14 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaRider125 (Post 16649306)
My choices have come down to the Specialized Sirrus Comp carbon and the Trek 7.7. I really cannot make up my mind, is one a significantly better value than the other?

Just wondering why you are bypassing both the Giant Escape RX Composite (I have two and have upgraded to 105s for less $$ than either your choices) thread here http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...e-owner-s.html and the new Diamond Back Interval carbon flat bar bike thread here http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...amondback.html. I don't think you can beat the value both these bikes bring to the market. However, you're the man with the cash to spend:thumb:

cbr9927 04-07-14 04:29 PM

Don't reply to this guy, if he insults you and you insult him back all he does is report you to a mod. Chicken crap backstabber.
Not my fault dude, I'm polite to people unless they attack me.

DowneasTTer 04-07-14 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr9927 (Post 16650520)
Don't reply to this guy, if he insults you and you insult him back all he does is report you to a mod. Chicken crap backstabber.
Not my fault dude, I'm polite to people unless they attack me.

I hope you are NOT talking about me. I have never insulted anyone on this or any other board. If you feel that one of my posts was insulting please point to it.

deerfly 04-07-14 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer (Post 16650572)
I hope you are NOT talking about me. I have never insulted anyone on this or any other board. If you feel that one of my posts was insulting please point to it.

Relax. He's talking about the OP, they got into a pissing contest in another thread.

DowneasTTer 04-07-14 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerfly (Post 16650577)
Relax. He's talking about the OP, they got into a pissing contest in another thread.

Ah, I do remember that now. Old age... old mind. Thanks. Oh btw are you prepared for the black fly season?

cbr9927 04-07-14 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer (Post 16650572)
I hope you are NOT talking about me. I have never insulted anyone on this or any other board. If you feel that one of my posts was insulting please point to it.

Nope, not you at all.

deerfly 04-07-14 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer (Post 16650596)
Ah, I do remember that now. Old age... old mind. Thanks. Oh btw are you prepared for the black fly season?

The black flies aren't too bad here in the southern part of the state but up near Acadia, where our camp is, they will drive you nuts. As you know, you are never prepared.

KonaRider125 04-07-14 05:30 PM

cbr9927- Get over yourself dude, I made a simple joke(NOT a attack) and you PM me insults and then you feel the need to high jack my thread? Go find something better to do.

Anyways thanks for all the input guys. I've looked at the Giant hybrid online but my LBS only carries Trek and Specialized

Trek800Antelope 04-07-14 05:48 PM

i have 2013 Trek 7.7 - my weekend bike - i picked up last year at the end of year sale - and i like it alot. i don't have comparisons to the Giant Escape or the Specialized - i did ride a specialized sirrus but on an aluminum frame. those few minutes of riding didn't make much of an impression on me. the shop didn't have the sirrus carbon for a test ride. so i went for the trek. also cuz it was light 52cm size (i'm short) it weighs 22lbs. great for when i visit my brother in a 6 floor walk up in NYC -

the most i've ridden in a day on the 2013 Trek 7.7 was approximately 80 miles - the seat was wicked after a while - but then again i didn't wear bike shorts.

shifting is fairly smooth -

but now i think i want a road bike....

KonaRider125 04-07-14 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trek800Antelope (Post 16650724)
i have 2013 Trek 7.7 - my weekend bike - i picked up last year at the end of year sale - and i like it alot. i don't have comparisons to the Giant Escape or the Specialized - i did ride a specialized sirrus but on an aluminum frame. those few minutes of riding didn't make much of an impression on me. the shop didn't have the sirrus carbon for a test ride. so i went for the trek. also cuz it was light 52cm size (i'm short) it weighs 22lbs. great for when i visit my brother in a 6 floor walk up in NYC -

the most i've ridden in a day on the 2013 Trek 7.7 was approximately 80 miles - the seat was wicked after a while - but then again i didn't wear bike shorts.

shifting is fairly smooth -

but now i think i want a road bike....

Thanks for the input on the Trek 7.7, my LBS has one in stock so I'm considering that. Other than drop handle bars what would a road bike offer that the 7.7 does not?

Trek800Antelope 04-08-14 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaRider125 (Post 16651297)
Thanks for the input on the Trek 7.7, my LBS has one in stock so I'm considering that. Other than drop handle bars what would a road bike offer that the 7.7 does not?

Had I chosen correctly I would not need to make the component switche is all. Frames the same as the madone 3.1.

Enjoy the new bike!

were you able to ride the specialized carbon hybrid?

badger1 04-08-14 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaRider125 (Post 16651297)
Thanks for the input on the Trek 7.7, my LBS has one in stock so I'm considering that. Other than drop handle bars what would a road bike offer that the 7.7 does not?

As Trek800Antelope points out, you are buying a 'road bike' as conventionally understood if choosing between these two. All you're doing is choosing a bar style: the 7.7 and Sirrus carbons are 3 series Madone and Roubaix frames respectively; they are not purpose-designed flat-bar frames (which would have longer top tubes for a given size) like e.g. the Giant Escape RX Composite.

If you do go with one of these, one thing to keep in mind: you might want/need to 'size up'. That is, if you would ride a 54 Madone or Roubaix with drops, you might need a 56 in their flat-bar siblings to get appropriate reach to the bars. A consequence of that, though, is that the frame might then not be quite right for you if you wanted to change to drop bars later.

Trek800Antelope 04-08-14 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 16651750)
As Trek800Antelope points out, you are buying a 'road bike' as conventionally understood if choosing between these two. All you're doing is choosing a bar style: the 7.7 and Sirrus carbons are 3 series Madone and Roubaix frames respectively; they are not purpose-designed flat-bar frames (which would have longer top tubes for a given size) like e.g. the Giant Escape RX Composite.

If you do go with one of these, one thing to keep in mind: you might want/need to 'size up'. That is, if you would ride a 54 Madone or Roubaix with drops, you might need a 56 in their flat-bar siblings to get appropriate reach to the bars. A consequence of that, though, is that the frame might then not be quite right for you if you wanted to change to drop bars later.


Good call

ColonelSanders 04-08-14 06:29 PM

The disc brakes on the Specialized would be a big sway factor for me.

carbon14 04-14-14 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2014 Comp Carbon and I like it a lot. I looked at many similar bikes but I liked this one overall and it fits me very well. I've been lugging a 20 year-old RockHopper up three flights of stairs about 500 times a year since the day it was new which really helps me appreciate the light weight of this bike. It took just over a month to arrive from the time I ordered it. Here's a pic of my cats investigating the new arrival:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=374796

Lt Stonez 09-09-14 04:31 PM

I got my sirrus comp carbon to day :) what a bike, quick an fit or tight If you no what i mean? Very easy rideing even If its 20 year since i last time was on a bike. Its light waight and yust make you wants to push on :) the test drive to day was graet and i will recommand you to take it out for a test :) still smileing hehe :)

Ptbojim 09-09-14 07:24 PM

I've recently purchased a 2014 Sirrus Expert Carbon Disc and simply love it. I've had the dealer drop the stem by 1 spacer and may have them adjust the angle the stem downward as well to give it a more aggressive riding position. I'll try out The minor spacer height adjustment for a week or two before I try another spacer drop or angle change. I figure I'd like to get as aero as possible without undue discomfort over longer distance rides. If my back, butt, shoulders and neck don't object I'll reconfigure the adjustable components to their most aggressive limits. Today's ride was a quick 37.7 km ride for a total time of 1:22:13, no issues with comfort and averaged a decent speed and a max speed a little over 61kph. Did I mention I love the bike? ��

Metrics logged via Map My Ride:


Home My Workouts Details
RODE 37.71 KM ON 2014-09-09
DISTANCE


37.71km
DURATION


1:22:13
AVG SPEED


27.5 km/h
KCAL


973
BIKE RIDE: ROAD CYCLING

SEPT. 9, 2014 at 10:31 A.M.


TIME
START 10:31 a.m.
ACTIVE 1:22:13
TOTAL 1:22:13
ELEVATION
START 245 m
MAX 286 m
GAIN 263 m
SPEED HEARTRATE
AVG 27.5 km/h 137 bpm
MIN -- --
MAX 61.4 km/h 151 bps


2 km
ANALYSIS TYPE:
0.1 km0.5 km1 km5 km10 km
DISTANCE SPEED ELAPSED TIME
5.0 km 27.2 km/h 00:11:00
10.0 km 26.5 km/h 00:11:19
15.0 km 27.0 km/h 00:11:05
20.0 km 29.2 km/h 00:10:15
25.0 km 27.5 km/h 00:10:52
30.0 km 27.6 km/h 00:10:51
35.0 km 28.5 km/h 00:10:30
37.7 km 26.3 km/h 00:06:11


Selwyn Loop
DISTANCE
37.6 km
BASE POINTS
10
ELEVATION
218 m
CURRENT POINTS
10
CURRENT AWARDS
BEST TIME
1:20:39
TIMES COMPLETED
2
TIME
1:21:51
+/- DIFFERENCE
+ 1:12

Selwyn/Bridgenorth Loop
DISTANCE
37.6 km
BASE POINTS
10
ELEVATION
218 m
CURRENT POINTS
10
CURRENT AWARDS
BEST TIME
1:20:39
TIMES COMPLETED
2
TIME
1:21:51
+/- DIFFERENCE
+ 1:12

Fudgeurpizzy 09-09-14 07:29 PM

i have a 2014 7.7fx which i upgraded from a 7.3fx. honestly i bloody love it mate it's a fast nimble bike. i think it's going to come down to the styling and which one suits you better trek or specialized. both are beautiful carbon rides that are going to chew up miles quickly. for me the lines on the 7.7fx are clean and understated which suit me perfectly. you get the speed of a road bike with the aggressiveness of a flat bar. which ever you choose you're going to be one happy camper. (:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pskdyltmta.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psyfavw5x0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pswlesnls8.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 AM.