Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   Low end recomendations. Raleigh Cadent/Misceo/Giant Roam (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/943434-low-end-recomendations-raleigh-cadent-misceo-giant-roam.html)

Hauptmann6 04-15-14 10:11 PM

Low end recomendations. Raleigh Cadent/Misceo/Giant Roam
 
I'm currently looking at 3 bikes(well 5) but I'm not quite sure which way I should go. I have no need for suspention and disk brakes would be nice, but not anywhere near a requirement.

I'm 6 foot tall and wear a 30 inch inseam so I have a bit if a long torso and short legs. I've been on the Cadent and Misceo both can be made to work with fitting and head tube adjustments. I'm getting back into riding after a couple years off. I do manly 30 mile rides on pavement and gravel rail trails with commuting thrown in. If it's raining, I'm driving.

The bikes I'm looking at are the Raleigh Cadent 1 and 2, Raleigh Misceo 1 and 2 and the Giant Roam 3.

What are the differences between the Cadent and Misceo? Sadly I haven't been able to see them side by side(and I can't figure out anything from the website). Is the upgrade to the 2 models worth it?

The Giant is the cheapest of the group, but the suspention fork is pushing me away from it.

Why doesn't anyone build a long fairly low bike???

Thanks in advance!

no1mad 04-15-14 10:36 PM

I didn't look up the Roam, but I did give the Raleigh models a quick glance.

Cadent 2 gives you an 8spd cassette, trigger shifters, and an upgraded wheelset over the Cadent 1.
Both Misceo models have the same wheels as the Cadent 2, the primary differences between the Misceo models is 7 vs 8 speeds in the rear and rim vs disc brakes.

I have a bias towards wider tires (or at least clearance for them), so I vote for the Misceo 1.

treadtread 04-16-14 12:04 AM

The Giant Escape has a longer top tube - sounds like something that might work for you.

Hauptmann6 04-16-14 02:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

Tread, funny enough the salesman brought one out and it fit perfectly. I'll have an Escape 2 with trekking bars next week!

Giant needs to setup their website so it's less jumbled. I didn't even think to look in road bikes for a hybrid.

If you are in the Kalamazoo area, both Alfred E Bike(where I ended up buying) and Johnson Cycle were great to deal with.

SLazz 04-16-14 03:12 PM

I suggest spending some time on Craigslist. You can pick up some great deals if you're patient. I just saw a 2012 Giant Roam 2 in near new condition for $325.00. A lot of people pay top dollar for new bikes with the intent to ride them but wind up as nothing more than a good intention to get into shape. Subsequently, the bike just sits in the garage and eventually, is sold for cheap. So, buy a great used one that fits and you'll be a happy camper. Good luck!

Hauptmann6 04-16-14 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLazz (Post 16677013)
I suggest spending some time on Craigslist. You can pick up some great deals if you're patient. I just saw a 2012 Giant Roam 2 in near new condition for $325.00. A lot of people pay top dollar for new bikes with the intent to ride them but wind up as nothing more than a good intention to get into shape. Subsequently, the bike just sits in the garage and eventually, is sold for cheap. So, buy a great used one that fits and you'll be a happy camper. Good luck!

The Escape 2 was $409 so not too bad. I love to ride but wore my last bike out and didn't have the cash to get a new one. I just hope this bike lasts as long as my last one(15 years and probably 10,000 miles).

treadtread 04-16-14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 (Post 16676901)
Thanks for the help guys!

Tread, funny enough the salesman brought one out and it fit perfectly. I'll have an Escape 2 with trekking bars next week!

Giant needs to setup their website so it's less jumbled. I didn't even think to look in road bikes for a hybrid.

If you are in the Kalamazoo area, both Alfred E Bike(where I ended up buying) and Johnson Cycle were great to deal with.

If the bike fit perfectly with the regular bars, you may need to change the stem if you switch to trekking bars - the hand position will change after the switch.
Edited to add: And congrats :)

Hauptmann6 04-16-14 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treadtread (Post 16677281)
If the bike fit perfectly with the regular bars, you may need to change the stem if you switch to trekking bars - the hand position will change after the switch.
Edited to add: And congrats :)

Good call on that. They put a longer lower rise one on to test fit. They ordered the bar for me and they will be installing it so I will have it fit again before I ride it home.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.