Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   Giant Escape 2 v. Trek FX 7.1 (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/944075-giant-escape-2-v-trek-fx-7-1-a.html)

jwalther 04-20-14 05:13 AM

Giant Escape 2 v. Trek FX 7.1
 
Buying a bike for my 15 year son's birthday. I can get either for $450 OTD. The Giant seems to be a step up?

7.1 FX - Trek Bicycle

Escape 2 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Thoughts and comments welcome!

spdracr39 04-20-14 06:55 AM

I have the Trek 7.1FX and it is a great deal on a good bike. The Giant appears similarly equipped. The Trek has a slightly lower climbing gear ( 34 vs 32) and a slightly lower speed gear ( 14 vs 11). the Giant has an 8 speed vs 7 speed which isn't really a factor. Sit on both and pick the one that feels best. If they are coming from different LBS then pick the one that has the best customer service.

MRT2 04-20-14 07:56 AM

The Giant has better Specs, and is a slightly better value. 8 Speed vs. 7 Speed Shifters for the Trek. Not a huge difference, but frankly, I would consider paying more for that alone. To get 8 speed shifting on Trek, you need to spend another $100 for the 7.2.

Though both are fine bikes, Giant appears to give you slightly better spec'd components at each price point.

Btw, according to the Giant website, the Escape2 is now selling for $420, so even more reason to go with the Giant. Check with the lbs. They should honor that price.

jwalther 04-21-14 04:54 AM

Thanks for the responses. Both are priced at $420, or $450 with tax. The Trek shop offers lifetime routine maintenance, and is within walking distance of home. The Giant shop offers six months of maintenance/adjustment.

MRT2 04-21-14 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalther (Post 16689030)
Thanks for the responses. Both are priced at $420, or $450 with tax. The Trek shop offers lifetime routine maintenance, and is within walking distance of home. The Giant shop offers six months of maintenance/adjustment.

Lifetime maintenance from a local shop is worth something, though the Giant is still the better bike for the money. Your choice.

If it were me, I would look at the 7.2, if looking at Trek.

The more I think about it, the more I think 8 speed freehub on the Giant vs, 7 speed freewheel on the Trek is worth paying extra for. The Giant gives you better technology for the same price.

Nothing against 7 speed. My 17 year old hybrid has it. But in a new bike, the standard is 8, or 9 speed.

if you or your son want to upgrade components in the future, easier and cheaper to do with the more modern drivetrain.

Wanderer 04-21-14 06:55 AM

You almost always seem o get more bike for your buck, with Giant - if it fits!

giantcfr1 04-21-14 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalther (Post 16689030)
... The Trek shop offers lifetime routine maintenance, and is within walking distance of home. The Giant shop offers six months of maintenance/adjustment.

I wouldn't worry about the lifetime 'routine' maintenance as it's not a car. Your son will get more enjoyment out of doing his own 'routine' maintenance.
I'd be surprised if your son keeps the bike for a lifetime anyway, so really I think it's just hype. If the bike is set up correctly (derailleurs) then you should only be aware of stretched cables which will be detected under 6 months under normal riding conditions.
In my experience the Giants most usually trump the Treks for value for money. (Here in Japan anyway)

MRT2 04-21-14 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giantcfr1 (Post 16689267)
I wouldn't worry about the lifetime 'routine' maintenance as it's not a car. Your son will get more enjoyment out of doing his own 'routine' maintenance.
I'd be surprised if your son keeps the bike for a lifetime anyway, so really I think it's just hype. If the bike is set up correctly (derailleurs) then you should only be aware of stretched cables which will be detected under 6 months under normal riding conditions.
In my experience the Giants most usually trump the Treks for value for money. (Here in Japan anyway)

I kind of wonder about the lifetime adjustment thing myself. Like what does that actually mean? Free tune ups for life, or just wheel truing and minor brake and derailleur adjustment? Bike shop has to make its money somewhere. Parts, maybe?

hard to know until you actually work with a shop. Some will nickel and dime you while others will go the extra mile. I usually don't sweat paying a good shop for doing good work, but I hate getting nicked and dimed. I agree your son should learn to do minor adjustments himself. Basic brake and derailleur adjustment, cleaning and lubing a chain, and of course changing a flat.

I still leave the wheel truing to the pros, myself.

jwalther 04-27-14 05:50 AM

Decision made, and the choice was. . .neither. My son opted to pitch in some of his own money, and upgrade to the Trek 7.2 w/ lifetime maintenance. He's a happy camper. Thanks all for your input.

MRT2 04-27-14 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalther (Post 16705610)
Decision made, and the choice was. . .neither. My son opted to pitch in some of his own money, and upgrade to the Trek 7.2 w/ lifetime maintenance. He's a happy camper. Thanks all for your input.

IMO a wise decision going up to the 7.2. It should give years of riding pleasure.

Jaeger99 05-04-14 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalther (Post 16705610)
Decision made, and the choice was. . .neither. My son opted to pitch in some of his own money, and upgrade to the Trek 7.2 w/ lifetime maintenance. He's a happy camper. Thanks all for your input.

Good call. Happy riding!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 AM.