Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2011 Trek 7.5 FX Fair Price

    I am looking at a used 2011 Trek 7.5 FX bike this week. The seller is not very responsive to questions via email so I will need to ask him about the mileage, maintenance, etc. when I get there. He is asking $550. Assuming everything is as it appears in the ad, what would be a fair value for the bike?

  2. #2
    Senior Member 2702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    14 Specialized Sirrus Expert Disc, 15 Giant Fastroad SLR
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mileage is hard to tell, perhaps he says 1k when its 2k miles. How can you prove this stuff? Just take the bike to a shop and have a tech look at the components and they should tell you how good or bad a shape the bike is.
    I don't ride with a bike cpu, so I have no idea the miles.
    Last edited by 2702; 06-02-14 at 01:28 PM.

  3. #3
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.bicyclebluebook.com

    I wouldn't pay over $425 in excellent condition...
    Last edited by WestPablo; 06-02-14 at 01:28 PM.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPablo View Post
    Thanks for the info! I am not sure how I missed that with my google searches.

    I do plan to take it to a bike shop also. Should I just have him meet me at the LBS to get it checked out?

  5. #5
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt998 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I am not sure how I missed that with my google searches.

    I do plan to take it to a bike shop also. Should I just have him meet me at the LBS to get it checked out?
    I'd prearrange a shop meet for sure, if possible!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, what is the incentive for the LBS to check the bike over? Are you two paying the LBS? Seems like you are taking business away from them and also asking them to provide a service without compensation.
    Trek Valencia, 2010
    Marin Highway One, 2010

  7. #7
    Senior Member 2702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    14 Specialized Sirrus Expert Disc, 15 Giant Fastroad SLR
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course you pay them to inspect the bike. I don't see how anyone can walk into a shop and say " look at this for free will ya"?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went with a new 7.2FX. The warranties and lifetime maintenance at the LBS were too appealing. Not to mention the relationship with the LBS staff. Thanks for the help!
    photo1.jpg

  9. #9
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    2,269
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt998 View Post
    Went with a new 7.2FX. The warranties and lifetime maintenance at the LBS were too appealing. Not to mention the relationship with the LBS staff. Thanks for the help!
    photo1.jpg
    The 7.5 has higher end components, but depending on what you want to do, the 7.2 is a solid choice. It all comes down to how much risk are you willing to accept. If a trusted mechanic at my local LBS gave the 7.5 the thumbs up, I probably would have made an offer.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    The 7.5 has higher end components, but depending on what you want to do, the 7.2 is a solid choice. It all comes down to how much risk are you willing to accept. If a trusted mechanic at my local LBS gave the 7.5 the thumbs up, I probably would have made an offer.
    I made an offer in the $425 range and he would not come down past $475. He also had a 25" frame while the LBS sized me on a 22.5".

  11. #11
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    2,269
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt998 View Post
    I made an offer in the $425 range and he would not come down past $475.
    This is where paying a bike mechanic to evaluate it might pay off. When I have traded in bikes in the past, the LBS starts with an estimate of the value of the bike (what they can sell it for), then subtracts for any worn parts that need to be replaced, and of course builds in profit.

    If the bike fit perfectly and was in pristine condition and needed no new parts, and had recently been tuned up, than $475 might not be bad for a lightly ridden 2 to 3 year old hybrid that retails new for $1,100. If it needed brake pads, tires, chain, etc, than $350 to $425 would be more in line with it's value.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    This is where paying a bike mechanic to evaluate it might pay off. When I have traded in bikes in the past, the LBS starts with an estimate of the value of the bike (what they can sell it for), then subtracts for any worn parts that need to be replaced, and of course builds in profit.

    If the bike fit perfectly and was in pristine condition and needed no new parts, and had recently been tuned up, than $475 might not be bad for a lightly ridden 2 to 3 year old hybrid that retails new for $1,100. If it needed brake pads, tires, chain, etc, than $350 to $425 would be more in line with it's value.
    No regrets. Off to ride my 7.2FX.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •