Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-14, 09:55 PM   #1
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Making My Hybrid more road friendly?

Would I get noticeably better road performance if I went from 700cc 32mm to 28mm?

I am starting to regret my hybrid purchase as I am riding much more with long group road rides then I am on the light trails that I was riding when I first bought it... I just do not have the money now though to buy a road bike, so I would like to find a way to make what I have a more road friendly. I plan on adding bar ends just so I have more space to move my hands around when they get tired, but I really need to do something to pick up the speed a bit without having to work so much harder then all the other riders who are on road bikes (Im usually the only person on a hybrid). Any ideas would be helpful, Im still really new to cycling and know next to nothing about bike mechanics.


Would be a big bonus if anyone is familiar with Giant GX-02 rims and can tell me what size tire I can drop down too without changing rims. I can find no specs for it on Giants website.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:02 PM   #2
camjr
Senior Member
 
camjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Have you tried flipping your stem and removing spacers under the stem to give you a lower, more aerodynamic riding position on your Escape? That would probably provide more benefit than marginally narrower tires. Bar ends are a good choice, but you already realized that.

Last edited by camjr; 06-03-14 at 10:05 PM.
camjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:02 PM   #3
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Changing tires from 32 to 28 will make almost no difference, IMO. When I say tiny, I mean, maybe you will shave 10 or 15 seconds off a 30 mile ride. And your ride quality won't be as good. Don't know if you want to or even can go down to 25 mm tires.

The main thing slowing you down is the upright riding position. You could switch stems to stretch out and get lower but, in general, you can't turn a hybrid into a road bike.

In general, if you want a road bike, buy a road bike.
MRT2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:19 PM   #4
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camjr View Post
Have you tried flipping your stem and removing spacers under the stem to give you a lower, more aerodynamic riding position on your Escape? That would probably provide more benefit than marginally narrower tires. Bar ends are a good choice, but you already realized that.
No, like I said, I know nothing about mechanics so I would have never thought about that. Thanks, I will look into it.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:22 PM   #5
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
Changing tires from 32 to 28 will make almost no difference, IMO. When I say tiny, I mean, maybe you will shave 10 or 15 seconds off a 30 mile ride. And your ride quality won't be as good. Don't know if you want to or even can go down to 25 mm tires.

The main thing slowing you down is the upright riding position. You could switch stems to stretch out and get lower but, in general, you can't turn a hybrid into a road bike.

In general, if you want a road bike, buy a road bike.

Would adjusting the seat make a difference? I could go a little higher with it and a little further back.. I have been meaning to test out different positions with it anyways.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:29 PM   #6
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
Would adjusting the seat make a difference? I could go a little higher with it and a little further back.. I have been meaning to test out different positions with it anyways.
I would hope you have your seat set up for optimal comfort and performance. Sorry to say but, you may just have to chalk this up to experience, build up your cycling muscles, make cheap but minor changes like flipping the stem or adding bar ends, and saving up for a road bike.

They should put this type of thread up as a sticky in the hybrid and general cycling forums. Too many of us started with hybrids when we might have been happier and saved money in the long run had we gone with road bikes.
MRT2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:30 PM   #7
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious, how long have you been riding a bike in general? I don't doubt having a more "road-friendly" bike would help, but on the other hand, can it also be that your riding buddies have more experience that enables them to go fast for a long period of time?
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:32 PM   #8
2702
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Its the power transfer of the bottom bracket that matters. How much that area flexes or how stiff it is that makes the ride to me for going faster and easier. Your hybrid is made for commutes in comfort.
And the reality is many hybrids feel like jello in the bottom bracket area compared to road bikes.
And the others are right, 32 to 28 wont make it faster, maybe feel more nimble and that's it.
2702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:41 PM   #9
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
Just curious, how long have you been riding a bike in general? I don't doubt having a more "road-friendly" bike would help, but on the other hand, can it also be that your riding buddies have more experience that enables them to go fast for a long period of time?
In most cases that is probably true... fitness too as before I started cycling two months ago, I had not been on a bike in 20 years and had really been a couch potato. All that aside though, people keep pointing to how wide my tires are as the reason I'm struggling to keep up... maybe they are just being nice and blaming the bike instead of my out of shape butt...lol. I don't know really. Its probably a mix of all of it.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:44 PM   #10
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2702 View Post
Its the power transfer of the bottom bracket that matters. How much that area flexes or how stiff it is that makes the ride to me for going faster and easier. Your hybrid is made for commutes in comfort.
And the reality is many hybrids feel like jello in the bottom bracket area compared to road bikes.
And the others are right, 32 to 28 wont make it faster, maybe feel more nimble and that's it.
Is that something that can be changed? Can I change the bracket out? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 10:50 PM   #11
2702
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
Is that something that can be changed? Can I change the bracket out? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
No you have to change the entire frame for that.
I think the bike can be made to feel more nimble and more aero with stem swaps and that's about it. As for going faster that's really not in the cards.
The good news is fast cheap road bikes like the CAAD line or Allez line is really not that expensive.
2702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 11:04 PM   #12
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
In most cases that is probably true... fitness too as before I started cycling two months ago, I had not been on a bike in 20 years and had really been a couch potato. All that aside though, people keep pointing to how wide my tires are as the reason I'm struggling to keep up... maybe they are just being nice and blaming the bike instead of my out of shape butt...lol. I don't know really. Its probably a mix of all of it.
I can relate to that. I was totally out of shape until I picked up cycling last summer. For the first couple of weeks, I was barely able to ride a few miles, let alone at any meaningful speed. It took me a few months until I was able to cruise at 14-15 MPH comfortably for 10+ miles. I've ridden 2,000+ miles since I bought my first bike, and I can now ride at 18-20 MPH on relatively flat roads for about an hour. I still have a long way to go. It just takes time.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 06:00 AM   #13
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bolt on drops, from Origin 8, can help you get lower, inexpensively.

Higher quality tires, if you still have the OEMs on there, have lower rolling resistance.

Have you tried pumping your tires 10# over max, to see if it makes a difference? What pressure are you running?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 06:59 AM   #14
Jaeger99
Senior Member
 
Jaeger99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in exactly the same position as the OP. My conclusion is that my hybrid is pretty close to perfect for its intended application, but it isn't a road bike and never will be. I don't want to get rid of the hybrid because I love the off-road versatility it brings (still do about 30% of my riding off pavement). But for longer road rides where I want to carry more speed over greater distance, I "need" a road bike.

I added bar ends to mine - as well as clipless pedals - both helped a bunch in improving the riding experience.
Jaeger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 07:18 AM   #15
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I spent considerable time and money roadifying my hybrid because I made the mistake of not getting a road bike. eventually I got a road bike. save yourself the time and money and get a new bike and go riding!

what I did: tires, stem and drop bars (after trying all sorts of bolt on bars straight and dropped), saddle, fenders & rack. very comfortable, fast and a great commuter. but now I ride an aluminum road bike with a carbon fork, no fenders and a Brooks leather saddle. oh and brifters (integrated brake lever / gear shifter) which changed my life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schwinn 700 C Trailway.jpg (25.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7046.JPG (95.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7063.jpg (98.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg specialized-avatar-gel-saddle.jpg (8.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg spec_avatar_gel_143_blk_08_m.jpg (11.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Trailway_12_20_09B.jpg (104.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 0914131443.jpg (101.5 KB, 38 views)
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 07:46 AM   #16
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Bolt on drops, from Origin 8, can help you get lower, inexpensively.

Higher quality tires, if you still have the OEMs on there, have lower rolling resistance.

Have you tried pumping your tires 10# over max, to see if it makes a difference? What pressure are you running?
About 80, the tires say 85 max but I can't seem to get higher then 80 with the pump I have.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 04:49 PM   #17
Hornplayer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy 1, 1996 Trek 730
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The biggest difference in tires might be from tread pattern. If the stock tires are really knobby for off road use switching to slick 28s may help - somewhat. And by all means try playing with your saddle position and height to maximize power transfer. Clipless pedals will also help, particularly if you're climbing.
Hornplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 06:20 PM   #18
WestPablo
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can't make Filet Mignon with hamburger...

Save your money and get a road bike!
WestPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 07:13 PM   #19
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What about butterfly handlebars? I have never seen anyone using them before, but from what I have read online, hybrid riders who switched to them say they make a huge difference. Not many places seem to sell them though.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 07:26 PM   #20
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
What about butterfly handlebars? I have never seen anyone using them before, but from what I have read online, hybrid riders who switched to them say they make a huge difference. Not many places seem to sell them though.
For touring. They won't make you ride any faster.
MRT2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 08:20 PM   #21
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
For touring. They won't make you ride any faster.
Wouldn't the different hand positions though stretch you out, making you lower and more aerodynamic?
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 08:27 PM   #22
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
Wouldn't the different hand positions though stretch you out, making you lower and more aerodynamic?
No, but it will give the hands and back some relief on rides longer than 3 or 4 hours. If it were that easy to turn a $400 hybrid into a road bike, I am sure more people would do it.
MRT2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 08:59 PM   #23
WestPablo
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get the Schwinn Fastback 1 at www.nashbar.com @ $680 on sale, today and tomorrow, only!

Tiagra gruppo + a CF fork 2!

Last edited by WestPablo; 06-04-14 at 09:04 PM.
WestPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 09:11 PM   #24
Vexxer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC (Research Triangle)
Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPablo View Post
Get the Schwinn Fastback 1 at www.nashbar.com @ $680 on sale, today and tomorrow, only!

Tiagra gruppo + a CF fork 2!
I wish I could, really do not have the money right now.
Vexxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 09:14 PM   #25
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
I wish I could, really do not have the money right now.
Save your money and just ride what you have then. You might surprise yourself how far, and how fast you can train yourself to ride a hybrid.
MRT2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.