Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-14, 11:31 PM   #1
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Upgrade Help

I ride about three times a week, from an hour to an hour and a half. I go as hard and fast as I can for the duration of my ride.
My bike is an older Trek 7200 with some minor upgrades that have helped a lot; trigger shifters, good platform pedals and decent tires. I'm running the narrowest tires that are recommended for my rims, 700 x 32, I'm using Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I noticed an improvement in rolling resistance right away.

I track my average speed during the ride including stops and everything, I usually ride late at night or early early am so the traffic delays are really very minimal.
I can't break through 16 mph as an average for the ride. That and I hate it when full on road bike guys blow by me. LOL

So I want to step up and go faster but I really like the flat bar and frame geometry of a hybrid. I want a significant improvement over my current bike, and certainly one that I will be happy with for years, but I have a tendency to overkill things so I'm asking for some input here on what more experienced folks like yourselves might consider a reasonable upgrade.

I've narrowed it down to four models of interest but if I'm overlooking any others please correct me:

Cannondale Bad Boy 5

Fuji Absolute 1.1 D

Giant Escape RX

Specialized Sirrus Comp

Thank You for your input.
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 04:44 AM   #2
Who Dey3334
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Franklin Ohio
Bikes: Giant Defy 2, Specialized Sirrus Comp, Giant Cypress DX
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Sirrus Comp and it is a very fast and nice bike. I highly recommend it.
Who Dey3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 07:41 AM   #3
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Escape RX Composite (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States A major step up, at a "reasonable" price.... reports of getting it cheaper are common.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 07:42 AM   #4
camjr
Senior Member
 
camjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I went with a Fuji Absolute 2.1 after riding the equivalent models from Specialized, Kona, and Giant. I did not ride the Trek or Cannondale. To me, it just "felt" better than the Giant or Specialized. That is ENTIRELY subjective. Another factor was that I was able to pick up a heavily discounted 2013 model for less than a lesser equipped 2014 model from either Fuji or the other brands.

You're looking at great brands and will find a great ride from your pool. How well does it fit your build and budget. They're all quality.
camjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 08:33 AM   #5
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First 16 mph is a bit faster than my cruising speed on flat terrain, so to average that with stops is not bad at all.

However, if your reason for upgrading is as you stated, you need a road bike. However, what you want to ride over-rides comments by me or any other relatively anonymous forumite.

While there are things that a lighter bike will help with, like acceleration and climbing, if you are on relatively flat terrain when you are getting blown away, then there are 2 significant elements that are potentially allowing roadies to blow by...

1) Aerodynamics (this may be difficult to change with the relaxed geometry of hybrids, other than possibly full on flat bar road bikes).
2) Difference in fitness level.

1 can be accomplished on any bike with more saddle to bar drop, whether a new bike, or going from a riser bar and stem to a flat bar and negative rise stem

2 doesn't depend significantly on which bike you are riding.

There are minor improvements possible with rolling resistance as well, but the two above are the main factors for maintaining a high speed.

With your personal objectives, I would mix things up, like doing intervals etc. Doing something different than just riding hard can give you benefits. You might want to read for a while in the training forum, and see what performance cyclists do to increase speed, acceleration and endurance.

And, just to be clear... While I do believe the above are valid points. There is very little that can compete with a new bike related to motivating you toward whatever your goals are.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 09:41 PM   #6
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I test rode a bunch of bikes tonight. Could not find any of the exact models I want. I did find out that Endurance geometry bikes felt ok but drop bars of any kind are definitely out. Tempted on closeout pricing of a Raleigh Carbon 3 but unfortunately shifters and brake levers for a flat bar that work with the Ultegra are impossible to find so that one is out. I cannot find a Cannondale Bad Boy 5 anywhere in Phoenix. The Specialized Sirrus in the base model feels and rides nearly identical to my Trek 7200. I may have to modify search parameters to find a flat bar endurance bike if such a thing exists. Looks like this is going to be quite the ordeal.
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 09:48 PM   #7
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW did not mean to sound so negative! Here are some more positive observations. New bikes are sooooooo much lighter. The Raleigh was the lightest. Trigger shifters rule. First time I have tried drop bars with the shifters as part of the brake levers... ahhhh not my favorite. Base model triggers felt way better than upscale drop bar shifters IMO.
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 05:52 AM   #8
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
First 16 mph is a bit faster than my cruising speed on flat terrain, so to average that with stops is not bad at all.

However, if your reason for upgrading is as you stated, you need a road bike. However, what you want to ride over-rides comments by me or any other relatively anonymous forumite.

While there are things that a lighter bike will help with, like acceleration and climbing, if you are on relatively flat terrain when you are getting blown away, then there are 2 significant elements that are potentially allowing roadies to blow by...

1) Aerodynamics (this may be difficult to change with the relaxed geometry of hybrids, other than possibly full on flat bar road bikes).
2) Difference in fitness level.

1 can be accomplished on any bike with more saddle to bar drop, whether a new bike, or going from a riser bar and stem to a flat bar and negative rise stem

2 doesn't depend significantly on which bike you are riding.

There are minor improvements possible with rolling resistance as well, but the two above are the main factors for maintaining a high speed.

With your personal objectives, I would mix things up, like doing intervals etc. Doing something different than just riding hard can give you benefits. You might want to read for a while in the training forum, and see what performance cyclists do to increase speed, acceleration and endurance.

And, just to be clear... While I do believe the above are valid points. There is very little that can compete with a new bike related to motivating you toward whatever your goals are.
I agree with this. The faster you go, the more you are fighting the upright position of your hybrid. There is a reason you don't see racers in the Tour de France riding hybrids. That said, you are the one who has to ride it, so maybe seek out a true flat bar road bike if you really hate brifters and drop bars.
MRT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 06:47 AM   #9
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Performance Bike also has a carbon Diamondback that has flat bars, and gets very good reviews, with nice componentry.. It's even on sale, with a bonus of about 100 bucks in points for future purchases.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 08:58 AM   #10
Jaeger99
Senior Member
 
Jaeger99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think 16mph is too shabby as an average for that bike at all. A more road-oriented performance hybrid will see an improvement, but not enough to keep pace with someone of similar abilities on a full-on road bike.
Jaeger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 10:19 AM   #11
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All right, the drama is over. Got a Sale email again from Performance, not exactly what I wanted but a real sweet deal. Fuji Absolute 1.3, sale price plus I found a coupon code I M B A 1 5 (no spaces) if anyone is interested. $569.00!!!!
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 10:21 AM   #12
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger99 View Post
I don't think 16mph is too shabby as an average for that bike at all. A more road-oriented performance hybrid will see an improvement, but not enough to keep pace with someone of similar abilities on a full-on road bike.
Ya but I would like to be able to sprint a little ways to keep it interesting ;D
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 10:33 AM   #13
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper_head View Post
All right, the drama is over. Got a Sale email again from Performance, not exactly what I wanted but a real sweet deal. Fuji Absolute 1.3, sale price plus I found a coupon code I M B A 1 5 (no spaces) if anyone is interested. $569.00!!!!
YES I BOUGHT IT .... should be here next week, free shipping to the local store
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 03:53 PM   #14
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally ready for pickup at Performance...
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:25 AM   #15
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well after a couple weeks of excess drama and my second new Fuji Absolute 1.3, Performance Bike got it right.
I've went riding with other people a couple times the last week so for the first 40 miles I haven't pushed it more than a few sprints.
Last night even though it was very hot and humid I went out alone at 10:00 and just tried to keep a good pace and cadence.
Crushed my goals, averaged 16.90 mph for the ride!!
Much thanks to Lance Vett at Performance Bike for setting up everything perfect.
Looks like now I can start looking to go further distances and continue to improve my average speed.
Just a little bit of better geometry, lighter weight and thinner tires made a huge difference for me.
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:31 AM   #16
practical
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Middelbury, Vermont
Bikes: Giant Escape 1
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper_head View Post
Well after a couple weeks of excess drama and my second new Fuji Absolute 1.3, Performance Bike got it right.
I've went riding with other people a couple times the last week so for the first 40 miles I haven't pushed it more than a few sprints.
Last night even though it was very hot and humid I went out alone at 10:00 and just tried to keep a good pace and cadence.
Crushed my goals, averaged 16.90 mph for the ride!!
Much thanks to Lance Vett at Performance Bike for setting up everything perfect.
Looks like now I can start looking to go further distances and continue to improve my average speed.
Just a little bit of better geometry, lighter weight and thinner tires made a huge difference for me.
I think your speed is really good. I know of a bike club near me that holds weekly rides. They divide into three groups: Group 1 20-plus mph; Group 2 18-20; and Group 3 15-17. All groups are pretty good riders. I'd be happy with 16.9. I usually do closer to 15 overall.
practical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:42 AM   #17
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks!
I do really want to participate in group rides hosted by some of the local LBS around, but by looking at their average speeds I know I would not be able to keep up. Long range goal is to keep working at it until I can be a part.
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:16 AM   #18
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Pics of your new bike are obligatory.
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-14, 09:57 PM   #19
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Pics of your new bike are obligatory.
Sorry this took so long!
In the dark with a flash and it's really dirty, but here it is:



It was supposed to hit 107 today, and it's going to rain the rest of the week so it's getting fairly humid.

Hope I can catch a break in the weather and that it cools off some at night.

Just rode 14.93 in 54 minutes.

Last edited by Copper_head; 08-11-14 at 10:01 PM.
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 12:52 AM   #20
vert02
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: KL,Malaysia
Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow....i can never get tired looking at fuji absolute.any upgrades made?
vert02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 02:25 AM   #21
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper_head View Post
Sorry this took so long!
In the dark with a flash and it's really dirty, but here it is:



It was supposed to hit 107 today, and it's going to rain the rest of the week so it's getting fairly humid.

Hope I can catch a break in the weather and that it cools off some at night.

Just rode 14.93 in 54 minutes.
That bike looks gorgeous.

What a great colour.
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 06:55 AM   #22
1Treky
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Quad Cities, IA
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats Copper_Head! great looking ride. I see you've already implemented 2 of my favorite mod's. I installed bar ends and clipless pedals and picked up on average a full mile per hour. I find that the bar ends allow me to flatten out my upper body just enough to help aerodynamically. In spite of having Treks top of the line full carbon hybrid, I still can't compete with those riding higher-end full-on road bikes. But I'm way faster than I was on my old Trek 7500 Multitrack.
1Treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 07:53 AM   #23
Copper_head
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys!

Just put the bar ends on. Replaced the saddle right away. The pedals are platform, kinda heavy duty all metal and very spikey on top. The only problem is that when you take your foot off they flip over upside down. Tradeoff is that they grip your shoe very well and do not slip ever. Simple Cateye wireless computer.
Copper_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-14, 06:36 AM   #24
gizmocat
MamaWheelie
 
gizmocat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: a 1974 Raleigh Twenty and a 2005 Trek 7200
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, I am a new member here. I am riding a 2005 Trek 7200 step through that has been upgraded...I replaced the original 7 speed twist gears with a 21 speed Shimano gearset, added fenders, better tires (Michelins, the best tire I've ever had), new saddle, new pedals...and the bike has performed well. The fork and saddle have shock absorbers so it is a very comfortable ride with the new saddle. There are a few minor problems--a heavy front wheel, terrible kickstand design, but it works well for me. I use it for touring at a fairly slow speed and for shopping. (no racing.)
The bike has been tuned up every year and the mechanic says that it is a good one. How long can I expect this moderately priced bicycle to last without needing major repairs?
The reason that I ask is that I have an opportunity to upgrade (if that is the correct term) to a Pashley, which has some features that I like (enclosed chain, dynamo lights) and while I might keep both bikes, it wouldn't make much sense to do so. I was going to be a good person and not consider the Pashley (which is really an amazing buy) but wonder if I'm due to replace the Trek anyway? Thank you for any advice you can give on this subject.
gizmocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 PM.