Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-14, 11:24 AM   #1
PSYS
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PSYS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: APPLETON, WI
Bikes: '14 TREK 8.2 DS / '08 CANNONDALE System6 Team Edition
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Element Xero vs. Bontrager AT-750 ... wheel upgrade?

Sorry for the newbie question. I did a search and didn't find anything this specific.

I looked online and did not see any sort of side by side comparison. I'm posting as I've seen some insane photos recently of Cannondale Quick bikes that some of you own.
I've got a '14 Trek 8.2 DS that came stock with Bontrager AT-750 wheels. I love the look of the Element Xero's that come stock on the Cannondale.
Does anyone know if this would be any sort of an "upgrade" or would I actually be going backwards?
i.e., does anyone know which is the better wheel set? ...and I'm not even certain what "better" is.
lighter? stronger? better materials? better construction?
I'm not dissatisfied at all with the wheels on my Trek. I'm only asking the question because I think the Xero's look fricken cool.

I ride mostly packed gravel rail trails (I'm in Wisconsin) and some packed dirt and street.
PSYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 06:12 AM   #2
Elysium32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
Sorry for the newbie question. I did a search and didn't find anything this specific.

I looked online and did not see any sort of side by side comparison. I'm posting as I've seen some insane photos recently of Cannondale Quick bikes that some of you own.
I've got a '14 Trek 8.2 DS that came stock with Bontrager AT-750 wheels. I love the look of the Element Xero's that come stock on the Cannondale.
Does anyone know if this would be any sort of an "upgrade" or would I actually be going backwards?
i.e., does anyone know which is the better wheel set? ...and I'm not even certain what "better" is.
lighter? stronger? better materials? better construction?
I'm not dissatisfied at all with the wheels on my Trek. I'm only asking the question because I think the Xero's look fricken cool.

I ride mostly packed gravel rail trails (I'm in Wisconsin) and some packed dirt and street.

This is something I am interested in too. Any thoughts on it?
Elysium32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 06:40 AM   #3
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I wouldn't trust those low spoke wheels, especially on gravel. And I don't really see the point of putting racing style wheels on a DS bike. But then again, I weigh 250 lbs. Maybe if you weight 160 or 170, they might be all right.
MRT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 09:32 AM   #4
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
Sorry for the newbie question. I did a search and didn't find anything this specific.

I looked online and did not see any sort of side by side comparison. I'm posting as I've seen some insane photos recently of Cannondale Quick bikes that some of you own.
I've got a '14 Trek 8.2 DS that came stock with Bontrager AT-750 wheels. I love the look of the Element Xero's that come stock on the Cannondale.
Does anyone know if this would be any sort of an "upgrade" or would I actually be going backwards?
i.e., does anyone know which is the better wheel set? ...and I'm not even certain what "better" is.
lighter? stronger? better materials? better construction?
I'm not dissatisfied at all with the wheels on my Trek. I'm only asking the question because I think the Xero's look fricken cool.

I ride mostly packed gravel rail trails (I'm in Wisconsin) and some packed dirt and street.
Are you staying with rim brakes or moving to disc?
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 11:00 AM   #5
PSYS
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PSYS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: APPLETON, WI
Bikes: '14 TREK 8.2 DS / '08 CANNONDALE System6 Team Edition
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Are you staying with rim brakes or moving to disc?
Looks like someone resurrected an old thread I initiated last year.
There was a point last year where I did actually attempt to find these wheels, but never had much success.
Prior to committing to this, I also tried finding some concrete data as far as comparison betyween the Bontrager AT-750 on my DS vs. the Xero's.
I did not have much success in finding any information to do a direct comparison.

To answer the question, assuming it would be a beneficial upgrade - I would stick with rim / cantilever brakes.
PSYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 11:08 AM   #6
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Sorry, but didn't see that. I am sure there are upgrades over the stock Bontrager wheels on your DS. I would go for function over looks, FWIW.
MRT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 06:30 PM   #7
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
Looks like someone resurrected an old thread I initiated last year.
There was a point last year where I did actually attempt to find these wheels, but never had much success.
Prior to committing to this, I also tried finding some concrete data as far as comparison betyween the Bontrager AT-750 on my DS vs. the Xero's.
I did not have much success in finding any information to do a direct comparison.

To answer the question, assuming it would be a beneficial upgrade - I would stick with rim / cantilever brakes.
Would you be looking to upgrade because you want better looking rims, or tougher rims so you can ride harsher trails?

Why do you want to upgrade?

BTW, I'm not inferring there is anything wrong with upgrading, I suspect I will do that when I get my next bike, mainly because I want a spare set of wheels, plus to indulge my inner weight-weenie.
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.