Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sizing Question: Trek for 6'1.5" man....

    My husband and I went to Trek today to look at the FX 7.2 for him (I just ordered to 7.2 WSD for me last week.).
    He is 6ft 1.5" tall.
    He loved the bike....seems to be between sizes though (22.5" and 25").
    The guy at the store was steering him towards the larger...thought it fit him better.
    He has not ridden a bike in over 20 years....so even after test riding, he was not sure which one felt better....
    Any advice????

  2. #2
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    2,440
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A picture of your husband riding the bike would help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    A picture of your husband riding the bike would help.
    i wish i had a photo, but i don't

  4. #4
    Senior Member ColonelSanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 830 + New Hybrid arriving in 2015
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think the 25" would be too big.

    As I have mentioned previously on this forum, I saw a YouTube clip of a guy reviewing his 7.2 FX and he talked about how with him being 6'5" or 6'6" that he has trouble finding bikes big enough for him, but his 25" 7.2 FX was a good fit.
    You can have my Disc Brakes, when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

  5. #5
    Some Guy on the Road
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    614
    My Bikes
    Trek DS 8.2, Trek Crossrip
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a 6'1.5" man, I will say the 22.5in should be fine unless he has unusually long legs

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittyname View Post
    As a 6'1.5" man, I will say the 22.5in should be fine unless he has unusually long legs
    actually, he has long legs and long arms......maybe that's why the guy at the store thought the bigger one fit better???

  7. #7
    Some Guy on the Road
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    614
    My Bikes
    Trek DS 8.2, Trek Crossrip
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by new biker girl View Post
    actually, he has long legs and long arms......maybe that's why the guy at the store thought the bigger one fit better???
    Possibly. Most jeans I wear are a 33in inseam, although I do have some 34s. If he's comfortable in that, by all means try it out; have him take a long test ride, 5-10 miles or so to see how he feels.. Around the parking lot isn't going to tell him a whole lot

    To play devil's advocate, it's also possible your salesman was also trying to move a large-sized frame out the door to make room for a smaller one that would sell more quickly

    Best of luck in your search!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Shepp30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Central Ohio
    My Bikes
    2012 Jamis Satellite Comp, '98 Schwinn Searcher GSX, '87 Miyata 312, 87 Schwinn World Sport
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
    I would think the 25" would be too big.
    ^^^ Agreed.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittyname View Post
    Possibly. Most jeans I wear are a 33in inseam, although I do have some 34s. If he's comfortable in that, by all means try it out; have him take a long test ride, 5-10 miles or so to see how he feels.. Around the parking lot isn't going to tell him a whole lot

    To play devil's advocate, it's also possible your salesman was also trying to move a large-sized frame out the door to make room for a smaller one that would sell more quickly

    Best of luck in your search!
    no, he actually had a smaller one there. The larger one he needed to order. He had my husband try a larger one in an upgraded model just for size.
    the slesman was a very similar size as my husband and he said he rides the 25".

  10. #10
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,450
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6' w/33" inseam and long arms/legs. I'd get the 22.5" for myself. If your husband's inseam isn't 35",I'd wouldn't get the 25".

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  11. #11
    Member KraneXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    2014 Cannondale Quick 1
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general rule of thumb is to buy the smaller size. You can always adjust the seat/stem to fit, but you can't make a bike that's to big smaller. That said, one of the most important reasons to buy from a local bike shop (LBS) is so that you can get properly fitted to your bike. Any reputable bike shop should be able to do this, so there shouldn't be any guess work involved.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX (2014)
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6'2", wear 34 inseam pants, and just bought a 22.5" 7.4. I would not want a frame any bigger. IMHO a 25" is going to be to much.

    That said, everyone is built differently, so try them out, and make sure you can exchange it if things don't work out with the one you guys pick.
    Last edited by Redflea; 02-16-15 at 02:02 AM.

  13. #13
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure his true inseam in bare feet, up against the wall, with a book pulled snugly against his crotch.............. Never use pants size, or any other method...... Just sayin - you will prob find a much longer inseam if he has long legs and arms.

    Sometimes, being too stretched out can really put a lot of weight on your arms, wrists, and shoulders.

    Did the smaller bike seem more cramped to his upper body? I (at 6' and old) ride a 61 (XL) on my Crosstrail, because I like riding that bike more stretched out, and a 58 (L) with my Sirrus, because it just doesn't feel as comfortable on that bike. He might need the larger frame to get his seat position correct, which is the most important.

    Ride 'em both again, with some of these thoughts in mind.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the 22.5.

    I am 5'11" with a 32" cycling inseam and when I bought my first "nice bike" about 5 years ago, the local Trek shop fit me for a 20" FX 7.4. The bike fit well, and I put several thousand miles on it, but once I got serious about riding, put spd pedals on it, and started going on 20-30 mile rides, I found that I had the seat post very high and had to put a slightly longer stem on it. The only problem was I had more drop from seat to bars than I wanted.

    Fast forward a few years of mostly riding a road bike, but wanting something more comfort oriented, while still being relatively quick and light, and I just bought and put together an FX 7.9. Got the 22.5 size and it fits me much better, although I am just barely tall enough, with long enough legs, for this size, IMO. If your husband is just a couple of inches taller than me I think the 22.5 would be a good fit, as I would consider myself at the smaller end of the scale for fitting on this size frame.

    Hope this helps.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX (2014)
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
    Get the 22.5.

    I am 5'11" with a 32" cycling inseam and when I bought my first "nice bike" about 5 years ago, the local Trek shop fit me for a 20" FX 7.4. The bike fit well, and I put several thousand miles on it, but once I got serious about riding, put spd pedals on it, and started going on 20-30 mile rides, I found that I had the seat post very high and had to put a slightly longer stem on it. The only problem was I had more drop from seat to bars than I wanted.

    Fast forward a few years of mostly riding a road bike, but wanting something more comfort oriented, while still being relatively quick and light, and I just bought and put together an FX 7.9. Got the 22.5 size and it fits me much better, although I am just barely tall enough, with long enough legs, for this size, IMO. If your husband is just a couple of inches taller than me I think the 22.5 would be a good fit, as I would consider myself at the smaller end of the scale for fitting on this size frame.

    Hope this helps.
    Wow - I'm pretty surprised that at 5'11" you are comfortable w/the 22.5 frame. You must have some longish arms and/or prefer a more stretched-out position than I think I would like.

    That's why this stuff is so personal and can't be based primarily on "good advice." Have to get on the bike and ride different sizes to know what's right for each individual.

  16. #16
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sloping top tube or Horizontal ? "size" is shorthand for the seat tube length.

    top tube Length (virtual for a horizontal line) is the other dimension. so maybe there is a lot od slope and a lot of seat post out.

    where a level top tube a 23, or 24" will have a similar top tube length .

    all else : take test rides in the shops, try different sizes out in Person.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    Wow - I'm pretty surprised that at 5'11" you are comfortable w/the 22.5 frame. You must have some longish arms and/or prefer a more stretched-out position than I think I would like.

    That's why this stuff is so personal and can't be based primarily on "good advice." Have to get on the bike and ride different sizes to know what's right for each individual.
    Not really, pretty average build. It's because of it being a flat bar road bike.

    I ride a 55 or 56 (ETT) road bike. I converted an old road frame to a flat bar road bike, and discovered that without the extra reach/ ETT that you get from riding on the top of drop bars, with your hands on the hoods, which actually puts then forward several centimeters, that the same size frame was way too cramped. I still have a 56 road bike, and 2 hybrids/flat-bar road bikes, a Giant Rapid size L, and the Trek FX 7.9 size 22.5. Both of them have almost identical geometries, with the stand over on the Trek being maybe a cm higher. Both bikes have an ETT of 59/59.5cm I believe.

    The 20" Trek FX 7.4 that I used to have had an ETT of 56.8 if memory serves, and once I actually figured out where the seat was supposed to be relative to the pedals/etc, I had to put a 120 stem on it to not feel cramped.

    I also think on a hybrid/flat bar road bike, because if you buy a size that doesn't require a large drop to your handlebars, your ETT will feel even shorter, i.e. , on my hybrids the bars are almost at the same level as the seat, or with maybe a 1" drop, on my smaller framed road bike (even though it is endurance geometry), I have probably a 2-3" drop, making the ETT feel longer.

    Just thoughts on what I've learned in terms of what geometry fits me, lol, hope that made sense.


    edit: I'll try to post pics of my bikes so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,225
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either one would work. Without seeing him on the bike I would initially think the 22.5 is better. I am 6'5" and the 25 would be a good fit for me.

    Which one was he more comfortable on?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX (2014)
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
    Not really, pretty average build. It's because of it being a flat bar road bike.

    I ride a 55 or 56 (ETT) road bike. I converted an old road frame to a flat bar road bike, and discovered that without the extra reach/ ETT that you get from riding on the top of drop bars, with your hands on the hoods, which actually puts then forward several centimeters, that the same size frame was way too cramped. I still have a 56 road bike, and 2 hybrids/flat-bar road bikes, a Giant Rapid size L, and the Trek FX 7.9 size 22.5. Both of them have almost identical geometries, with the stand over on the Trek being maybe a cm higher. Both bikes have an ETT of 59/59.5cm I believe.

    The 20" Trek FX 7.4 that I used to have had an ETT of 56.8 if memory serves, and once I actually figured out where the seat was supposed to be relative to the pedals/etc, I had to put a 120 stem on it to not feel cramped.

    I also think on a hybrid/flat bar road bike, because if you buy a size that doesn't require a large drop to your handlebars, your ETT will feel even shorter, i.e. , on my hybrids the bars are almost at the same level as the seat, or with maybe a 1" drop, on my smaller framed road bike (even though it is endurance geometry), I have probably a 2-3" drop, making the ETT feel longer.

    Just thoughts on what I've learned in terms of what geometry fits me, lol, hope that made sense.


    edit: I'll try to post pics of my bikes so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.
    Thanks - I'd enjoy the pics. I almost bought a Giant Rapid recently - really cool bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •