Hi all, Alan from Knoxville, TN here. I have been considering a change in hobbies for quite some time now. I am close to hitting the wall on my current addiction... MMORPG's (massively multiplayer online role playing games). Not sure if any of you are familiar with these games, but let me tell you they are a HUGE time sink and are soooooo very addictive... for my personality type anyway. My current average play-time per week ranges anywhere from 30 to 50 hours. YES, per WEEK.
I've met some really cool people in the games I have played, and have tons and tons of fun. Honestly, I do not want to quit... heck I'd probably play 18 hours a day if I were completely insane. I even flew to Anaheim last month for the "Fan Fest" celebration that was held for my current game.
<deep sigh> It's definitely time for not only a hobby change, but a lifestyle change. I am in serious need of new scenery and fresh air (a little sun wouldn't hurt either). I'm 34 years old, and have gained about 50 pounds during my stint as a 'gamer'. I've thought to myself on many occasions, "The best hobby is one that revolves around fitness". After quite a bit of thought, I believe mountain biking is a good fit for me. I know 2 really hardcore bikers pretty well, so I have some good sources for advice and motivation.
Now it's a matter of giving up my "virtual" life and friends. Crazy as it may sound, it will be very hard for me to do. I can't "dabble" in anything, I'll have to go cold turkey. I look forward to spending some time here as I learn about this great hobby... hope to see you all around here a lot! Lots of new stuff to learn... what the heck is a "hardtail"???
Congratulations on realizing your addiction and taking steps to make a positive change. Now, if I could only get my daughter to come to the same conclusion about time spent gaming.... The sedentary lifestyle doesn't do much for one's figure.
But then neither does dorm food. My son came home for summer break in May and has lost 25 pounds so far on the bike. (We are roadies.) And he doesn't even ride everyday! However, he is watching the fat content of food and curbing snacking.
Best wishes for you new cycling hobby and shedding those gaming pounds!
Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
I'm coming out of the MMORPG addiction myself as well. Starting around March with spring break I slowly just realized that it was just a complete and total time sink. While I did meet some very cool people online playing these games - when you leave the game you pretty much instantaniously loose 99% of what you spent your time aquiring (the other 1% being the fat around the belly and a few good friends you may be able to keep in contact with outside of the game). I made the decision to get out of gaming for the most part (and out of all MMO's) the day I got engaged in May and haven't looked back. I still play a bit of Counter Strike or a 1 player game that I can do for an hour or two in the heat of the day. But I'm done with MMO's. Take it from me, and do yourself a favor, don't look back.
My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Team bike
Many of us have lost tons of weight through bicycling.
Originally Posted by Bodeco
I can't "dabble" in anything, I'll have to go cold turkey. I look forward to spending some time here as I learn about this great hobby...
The best way to go cold turkey and lose weight at the same time is bike commuting to work. You start and end each day on the bike and as soon as you get to work you can log onto BF and get lots of support to help you with your "new" addiction.
When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking. — Arthur Conan Doyle
I own a diamond back. Other than that I have no idea.
Welcome Alan. I am a newbie myself to cycling from Bristol. I just moved here from Long Island(that makes me a newbie and a D@#M Yankee) and love the main land. Knoxville is only 2 hours away from here, I have heard alot about it and look forward to visiting one day. Congratulations on your new hobby. I think that Cycling can become addicting too, but 30-50 hours sitting on the bike is so much healthier than sitting on the couch (computer). That can be some serious miles for you. Congratulations on your switch,Enjoy!