Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/)
-   -   New Southern California User (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/251019-new-southern-california-user.html)

garyj 12-06-06 09:13 PM

New Southern California User
 
I'm a new rider - about 3 months. I have a mountain and road bike. At almost 62 years old I may have to settle for the mountain bike as my permanent ride. The road bike is too hard on my back. Last month I rode about 400 miles. My longest single ride so far is about 62 miles. My wife and I ride together, however she is off for a while. She took a fall last Saturday and had a bad ankle break. She will be back with me in April.

I'm one of the pastors of local church. I am able to ride early mornings and evenings. I've bought some good lights. Also, my days off are usually spent riding. My sport of choice used to be racquetball, but an old knee injury has made me change to riding. This is my new sport of choice.

Blessings,
garyj

jschen 12-06-06 09:38 PM

Welcome to the forums! :) You may want to try adjusting the fit of the road bike for a more upright, less stretched out position that may be easier on your back.

Tom Stormcrowe 12-06-06 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyj
I'm a new rider - about 3 months. I have a mountain and road bike. At almost 62 years old I may have to settle for the mountain bike as my permanent ride. The road bike is too hard on my back. Last month I rode about 400 miles. My longest single ride so far is about 62 miles. My wife and I ride together, however she is off for a while. She took a fall last Saturday and had a bad ankle break. She will be back with me in April.

I'm one of the pastors of local church. I am able to ride early mornings and evenings. I've bought some good lights. Also, my days off are usually spent riding. My sport of choice used to be racquetball, but an old knee injury has made me change to riding. This is my new sport of choice.

Blessings,
garyj

Welcome to BF, Gary.

Something else you might consider could be a recumbent. My wife rides one and it's like riding a recliner. She loves is and she has arthritis in her lower back.

RonH 12-07-06 06:29 AM

Welcome Gary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyj
I'm a new rider - about 3 months. I have a mountain and road bike. At almost 62 years old I may have to settle for the mountain bike as my permanent ride. The road bike is too hard on my back.

Sorry to hear you have back problems. Maybe your LBS can check your road bike for proper fit and make a few minor adjustments so it will be more comfortable.

I'll be 62 in less than two weeks and I love both my road bike and my cyclocross commuter bike. (see pics in my signature) :)

East Hill 12-07-06 07:40 AM

Just remember, we have a 50+ forum, and you can join pastorbobnlnh there. And I think there's a new member, fastrpastr, there as well. You have to like pie to hang out in the 50+ forum, though.

Welcome,

East Hill

RonH 12-07-06 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East Hill
Just remember, we have a 50+ forum, and you can join pastorbobnlnh there. And I think there's a new member, fastrpastr, there as well. You have to like pie to hang out in the 50+ forum, though.

If you head over to the 50+ forum you'd better be careful. Everyone there is "old". :eek:

pwuff 12-07-06 05:43 PM

peregrina
 
Yeah. Road bikes and the back thing. I hear you.

Peregrina

garyj 12-07-06 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschen
Welcome to the forums! :) You may want to try adjusting the fit of the road bike for a more upright, less stretched out position that may be easier on your back.

I've worked on that a bit. I may see someone that comes recommended. What bothers me is the lower bars. I've thought about changing the bars and controls but have found the price of doing that correctly may not be best. My road bike has Dura-Ace components and I'd not be able to keep the same grade to change the bars. I understand the equivalent XTR components are not compatible with Dura-Ace. For this reason I may sell the bike and buy another one.

roadfix 12-07-06 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonH
If you head over to the 50+ forum you'd better be careful. Everyone there is "old". :eek:

That's why I rare visit the 50+ forum.....:p:D

garyj 12-07-06 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Welcome to BF, Gary.

Something else you might consider could be a recumbent. My wife rides one and it's like riding a recliner. She loves is and she has arthritis in her lower back.

I've thought of that but I don't like how low they are and therefore harder to see. In the future that may be an option. As it is, I really like my full suspension mountain bike. I work a bit harder but for me it's all about exercise anyway - more bang for the buck!

garyj 12-07-06 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East Hill
Just remember, we have a 50+ forum, and you can join pastorbobnlnh there. And I think there's a new member, fastrpastr, there as well. You have to like pie to hang out in the 50+ forum, though.

Welcome,

East Hill

I read some on the 50+ forum tonight. I'll watch that one!

Thanks,


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 PM.