Hey y'all. Just introducing myself. I'm a 26-year-old graduate student from Champaign, IL. I've been riding bikes casually for most of my life, but am just getting back into them as a serious mode of transportation. I don't define my lifestyle by bikes, but I am an advocate of green and mass-transportation and love riding.
I currently own a 1974(?) Raleigh Super Course MkII with basically all original equipment. It needs some work done to it, but I've scavenged some parts off it for my new project:
A black Mercier (generic Chinese steel, I believe) track frame that I snagged for free from a buddy. He used most of the parts from the bike on his road conversion, and gave me the frame with a crankset and 48-tooth chainring, and handlebars. I got a new seatpost, moved my old Brooks saddle, light brackets, and lock mount over, and ordered a bunch of parts. Waiting for me back home are:
- Mavic CXP22 wheelset. Black spokes, flip-flop formula hub.
- EAI 16-tooth track cog.
- Shimano 18-tooth freewheel.
- Shimano Dura-Ace lockring.
- Panaracer Pasela TG tires in 25, presta tubes.
- Velox rim tape.
- Some halfway decent silver rust-buster BMX chain I hope isn't garbage I picked up at the LBS, as I forgot to include it in my Harris order.
- A bunch of new tools to add to my box: chain whip, lockring spanner, and freewheel puller.
I'll be putting that all together tomorrow and Tuesday, and get some pictures taken ASAP. Hopefully I can learn a lot from the knowledgeable folks here!