Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-07, 06:06 PM   #1
Biketime
Biketime
Thread Starter
 
Biketime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East of Eden
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello from SW Ohio

Been seriously riding since mid-80s, picking it up again after about a 10 yr hiatus. Now 58, I avg 2500 mi/yr, 25-30 mi/ride, not too much climbing anymore depite the area's notorious hillyness. Love them river valleys and my C'dale R-700.

Music is the other passion, from Bach onwards. Have lost some of my hearing because mama was right about loud rock n roll and my drumming with music in the head phones. Sure do love that mirror on my helmet.

Hope to have some good conversations with y'all. Warning: I'm a decent writer but my typing/spelling is horrible.

"Avoid running at all times." -- One of Satchel Page's Rules For Living
Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 06:51 AM   #2
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Biketime, I see you've already found the regional forums and the 50+ forum, so I'll just leave it at saying

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 08:04 AM   #3
Beverly
Senior Member ??
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Biketime from another SW Ohio resident. I'm a lttle farther north where there are fewer hills
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 02:05 PM   #4
Biketime
Biketime
Thread Starter
 
Biketime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East of Eden
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
Welcome Biketime from another SW Ohio resident. I'm a lttle farther north where there are fewer hills
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun..."

Very nice.
How "little farther north" is that? Dayton? Detroit?
Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 02:11 PM   #5
Beverly
Senior Member ??
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biketime
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun..."

Very nice.
How "little farther north" is that? Dayton? Detroit?
Just north of Dayton.
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 03:12 PM   #6
Biketime
Biketime
Thread Starter
 
Biketime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East of Eden
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
Just north of Dayton.

%% street, %% trail?

I've never ridden north of Oregonia on the Little Miami Trail, just beyond the massive and cool I-71 overpass. I have seen the trail's continuation when I came thru Xenia to Yellow Springs. Most of my runs work out of the east side of Cincy, Newtown being the epicenter.

There used to be an annual group ride around Eaton that looked interesting. What happened to it?
Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 07:06 PM   #7
Beverly
Senior Member ??
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biketime
%% street, %% trail?

I've never ridden north of Oregonia on the Little Miami Trail, just beyond the massive and cool I-71 overpass. I have seen the trail's continuation when I came thru Xenia to Yellow Springs. Most of my runs work out of the east side of Cincy, Newtown being the epicenter.

There used to be an annual group ride around Eaton that looked interesting. What happened to it?
I do about 75% road and 25% trail riding. I do volunteer bike patrol for the parks and all that is on the trails. Most of my road riding is done with the Dayton Cycling Club.

I like riding the Little Miami Trail. I did my first century on it last summer during the Greene Trails Cycling Classic. I think I've rode every mile of it at one time or another. My favorite is the trail around Spring Valley but that's because I grew up there. Don't blink when you go through it or else you'll miss it.

I think the ride you're referring to is the Day-Ox ride sponsored by the cycling club. They haven't had a director for it the past few years so it's in limbo. They advertised for a new director recently but no one has shown an interest in reviving the ride. It was an over-night ride and there's no as much interest in them as the one day events.

Do you belong to the Cincinnati club? I'm hoping to get down to Cincy to do the CCC Chili ride this year. The two clubs had a picnic last summer but I was unable to attend.
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 07:50 AM   #8
Biketime
Biketime
Thread Starter
 
Biketime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East of Eden
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly

I think the ride you're referring to is the Day-Ox ride sponsored by the cycling club. They haven't had a director for it the past few years so it's in limbo. They advertised for a new director recently but no one has shown an interest in reviving the ride. It was an over-night ride and there's no as much interest in them as the one day events.

Do you belong to the Cincinnati club? I'm hoping to get down to Cincy to do the CCC Chili ride this year. The two clubs had a picnic last summer but I was unable to attend.
No, I'm pretty much of a singleton out there. Too slow for most and too fast for precious few others. And, I stop for quick 30-60 second blows too much. I have heard the chili ride is a blast.

But the ride I was talking about was almost purely in and around Eaton. Max miles were about 70 or so. No overnight.

What do you do as a patrol volunteer?

"You'll never take me alive, copper!"

Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 08:05 PM   #9
Beverly
Senior Member ??
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biketime
No, I'm pretty much of a singleton out there. Too slow for most and too fast for precious few others. And, I stop for quick 30-60 second blows too much. I have heard the chili ride is a blast.

But the ride I was talking about was almost purely in and around Eaton. Max miles were about 70 or so. No overnight.

What do you do as a patrol volunteer?

"You'll never take me alive, copper!"

As a patrol volunteer we just ride the trails, help people who need assistance (flats, lost, accidents, etc), report any maintenance problems or suspicious activity to the rangers. We also hold a weekly "Bike for the Health of It" program during warmer weather. It's a short 10-20 mile ride on the trails geared toward families, beginners and recreational riders. We also assist the rangers with parking and crowd control at events. We also work with the local children's hospital and AAA to pass out free helmets to kids. It's been an interesting experience and I'm in my 4th year of the program.

There are riders of all levels with the club and I haven't had too many problems finding riding partners. I'm not a fast rider so I'm usually in the slower group I'm definitely not fast. I'm out there to enjoy myself and not to see how fast I can ride between point A and B.

I don't have any more ideas about the Eaton ride. It probably was a club sponsored ride that they've discontinued.
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 08:21 AM   #10
Biketime
Biketime
Thread Starter
 
Biketime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East of Eden
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
...

There are riders of all levels with the club and I haven't had too many problems finding riding partners. I'm not a fast rider so I'm usually in the slower group I'm definitely not fast. I'm out there to enjoy myself and not to see how fast I can ride between point A and B.
Very cool and giving re your patrol duties.

Unfortunately (?), I'm type AAA and ride for speed, always trying to keep the avg over 17. I do sightsee a little on recovery rides. When I got back into cycling in the 80s, I was living in Chicago. Being on the eastern end of its time zone, the summer days are shorter than here on the western end. So, if I wanted to pile up the miles on weekday evenings, I had to ride fast. Now it's just part of what I do. Of course, I'm standing still compared to the pacelines and peletons that pass me up doing around 20+.

Are you easier to get along with if you've a goodly number miles under your belt that day? I certainly am.
Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:34 AM   #11
Beverly
Senior Member ??
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biketime
Very cool and giving re your patrol duties.

Unfortunately (?), I'm type AAA and ride for speed, always trying to keep the avg over 17. I do sightsee a little on recovery rides. When I got back into cycling in the 80s, I was living in Chicago. Being on the eastern end of its time zone, the summer days are shorter than here on the western end. So, if I wanted to pile up the miles on weekday evenings, I had to ride fast. Now it's just part of what I do. Of course, I'm standing still compared to the pacelines and peletons that pass me up doing around 20+.

Are you easier to get along with if you've a goodly number miles under your belt that day? I certainly am.
I must be missing that "ride for speed" gene that many people seem to have Maybe I'll find it after I finish my current training to become a better hill climber.

The number of miles depends on weather conditions. I prefer 35-50 mile rides but if it's cold I'm usually ready to head for home after 20-25 miles.
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 08:55 PM   #12
Biketime
Biketime
Thread Starter
 
Biketime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East of Eden
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
I must be missing that "ride for speed" gene that many people seem to have Maybe I'll find it after I finish my current training to become a better hill climber.

The number of miles depends on weather conditions. I prefer 35-50 mile rides but if it's cold I'm usually ready to head for home after 20-25 miles.
Was never a great climber, but did it just the same. Now, at 58, I don;t do much at all.

I'm from the John Lennon school: When it stops being fun, I'm not gonna do it anymore.
Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 09:41 PM   #13
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Bikes:
Posts: 3,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check out the Cincinnati Cycle Club ride line. You might find a compatible ride.
rm -rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 10:38 PM   #14
Biketime
Biketime
Thread Starter
 
Biketime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East of Eden
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Check out the Cincinnati Cycle Club ride line. You might find a compatible ride.

Many thanks.
Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.