Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hello From Perth Australia

    Hello all,

    Im from Perth W.A. Love this community, used to be on it 2 years ago but kinda forgot about it for a while.

    I ride road bikes and love the river run. I dont know how many younger guys there are on the forums noe but im in year 12 at the moment and love to get out on the bike for a break from study.

    Just thought id check back in after a long leave and say hi.

    Dovan

  2. #2
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dovan, welcome back to the fold .

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  3. #3
    Studs Terkel Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maputo, Mozambique
    My Bikes
    2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
    Posts
    8,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovan505
    Hello all,

    Im from Perth W.A. Love this community, used to be on it 2 years ago but kinda forgot about it for a while.

    I ride road bikes and love the river run. I dont know how many younger guys there are on the forums noe but im in year 12 at the moment and love to get out on the bike for a break from study.

    Just thought id check back in after a long leave and say hi.

    Dovan

    You go around the river? Like from city to city via Freo and Vic Park?

  4. #4
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome Dovan. Perth has always fascinated me. Wine, nice climate. Don't need a domestique for changing out your tires or whatever.

  5. #5
    Studs Terkel Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maputo, Mozambique
    My Bikes
    2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
    Posts
    8,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    Welcome Dovan. Perth has always fascinated me. Wine, nice climate. Don't need a domestique for changing out your tires or whatever.
    The climate is perfect for year-round riding but it's a hell of a long way from anywhere. The closest other city is 3 hours by plane.

  6. #6
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So no one would just push off on their bike for Adelaide on some kind of mega tour.

  7. #7
    Studs Terkel Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maputo, Mozambique
    My Bikes
    2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
    Posts
    8,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    So no one would just push off on their bike for Adelaide on some kind of mega tour.

    Crazy people do it. When we drove across the Nullarbor we saw a Japanese guy coming the other way about halfway along. I suspect it would be very dull.

  8. #8
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can it be done in the spring or fall without dehydration? Have seen some photos of the Nullabor plain on the "crazy guy on a bike' website.' beaches looked pretty nice. When on the bike, I like isolation.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Perth is a great place to ride. we've got nice roads and paths and a track called the Munda Biddi which runs from just east of perth down to Collie at the moment but should go ta albany sometime soon.

    The weather is always beautiful, except for right now (its bucketing down).

    In reply to Johnny, yes. around the river from mossy park to freo, along the south of the river, then down the freeway, kingspark, nedlands, clermont, home.

    or the new ride i went on last weekend, mossy park to freo, south freo, then over to jandakot, up the highway (new bike path) to kingspark, nedlands, clermont, home.

    also did you use to live here? you sound like you know alot about the place but your location says england???

    Dovan.

  10. #10
    Studs Terkel Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maputo, Mozambique
    My Bikes
    2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
    Posts
    8,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    Can it be done in the spring or fall without dehydration? Have seen some photos of the Nullabor plain on the "crazy guy on a bike' website.' beaches looked pretty nice. When on the bike, I like isolation.

    Spring would be best because the wildflowers would be out. I think the longest distance between roadhouses is about 150km, but I don't know whether you can get water in between. There is usually enough traffic that if something happens you won't be alone for too long. We counted about 70 road trains when we drove it (in one day).

    I think the entire distance from Perth to Adelaide is about 2,700km. The actual Eyre highway part from Norseman to Ceduna is about 1,250km (which was the bit we did in a day).

  11. #11
    Studs Terkel Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maputo, Mozambique
    My Bikes
    2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
    Posts
    8,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovan505
    Yes, Perth is a great place to ride. we've got nice roads and paths and a track called the Munda Biddi which runs from just east of perth down to Collie at the moment but should go ta albany sometime soon.

    The weather is always beautiful, except for right now (its bucketing down).

    In reply to Johnny, yes. around the river from mossy park to freo, along the south of the river, then down the freeway, kingspark, nedlands, clermont, home.

    or the new ride i went on last weekend, mossy park to freo, south freo, then over to jandakot, up the highway (new bike path) to kingspark, nedlands, clermont, home.

    also did you use to live here? you sound like you know alot about the place but your location says england???

    Dovan.
    yeah, I lived there from 2001 to 2005. In Warwick, up the Mitchell freeway. I used commute to the city and ride on the weekends down the coast to Cottesloe.

    IIRC the Munda Biddi is for mountain bikes.

  12. #12
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My dream to cross a continent. Somewhere. North America and Australia are the shortest, I think? I can do 150 km a day as long as it's not super mountainous. Water is another matter. Two bottles and a camelbak is not enough. Are there emergency services out there should a cyclist have a problem.
    Side issue. The droughts are affecting Australia more than almost anywhere on the planet. Possibly , just ahead of the American west. That might signify heat and brush fires.

  13. #13
    Studs Terkel Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maputo, Mozambique
    My Bikes
    2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
    Posts
    8,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    My dream to cross a continent. Somewhere. North America and Australia are the shortest, I think? I can do 150 km a day as long as it's not super mountainous. Water is another matter. Two bottles and a camelbak is not enough. Are there emergency services out there should a cyclist have a problem.
    Side issue. The droughts are affecting Australia more than almost anywhere on the planet. Possibly , just ahead of the American west. That might signify heat and brush fires.

    There's not much bush along the Nullarbor. It's also quite flat - it udulates but there's no big hills.

    You can't rely on emergency services if you're in the middle of nowhere. Even if they're alerted it could still take them hours to get there. There are signs along the Eyre highway that state that the particlar stretch of road you're on is used by the Flying Doctors as an emergency landing strip.

    People do cycle across the continent. One guy did it on a penny farthing a few months ago and I think someone recently skateboarded across. The shortest road route is about 4,000km from Sydney to Perth but we ended up travelling 12,000km in seven weeks.
    Last edited by Johnny_Monkey; 04-29-07 at 08:11 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    some day, we might get the chance. Our nephew who lives in Singapore plans to retire in Queensland. So it's not a tough ride all the way across. The 'Alps' chain in the east is pretty easy to cross? Well, I have crossed desert chains twice. Can't be worse than Nevada. There, the biggest distance without services was 113 miles. But, then we had sag support.
    I think Australians are like Texans. If one gets into difficulty, they are more than happy to rescue a cyclist and give one a lift to Civilization.?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •