Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member warp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Houston Runner/Biker

    Hi

    I'm currently living in Houston; I've been a runner for a long time, and it seems that I'm getting more into biking over the years.

    Right now, I have a mountain bike. It would be really nice to get a good road bike, but it is hard to be sure of the best choice. I am willing to spend a fair amount of money, yet I need to know that my money is going to make a real difference in my biking experience.

    If it helps, I do plan on using my bike for events like the MS 150. It would be cool to have a somewhat decent bike for stuff like that.

    Hopefully the insight of this community can be helpful in making a good decision.

  2. #2
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello warp9, you might want to check out the local Craigslist to see if there are any good used bikes that might fit the purpose. Also, visit the Texas regional forum, and see if anyone local can give you a lead.

    A visit to the Classic & Vintage forum will show you that an older steel bike isn't necessarily a bad choice... .

    Welcome to BF!

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  3. #3
    Member warp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill
    Hello warp9, you might want to check out the local Craigslist to see if there are any good used bikes that might fit the purpose. Also, visit the Texas regional forum, and see if anyone local can give you a lead.

    A visit to the Classic & Vintage forum will show you that an older steel bike isn't necessarily a bad choice... .

    Welcome to BF!

    East Hill
    Thanks for the welcome, East Hill!

    I guess it is partly a matter of knowing what "fits my purpose."

    Until I've spent enough time riding a road style bike to get used to the experience (different riding position, etc), even a limited amount of test riding may not really tell me all that much.

    It would be bad to spend $2000 on a new bike, only to find that I could have gotten just as good a ride with an older, much cheaper, steel bike.

  4. #4
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, without knowing how tall you are, it's a bit difficult, but I just looked at IAH's CL and spotted a nice Schwinn Tempo for $150, ready to ride (complete with aerobars!), or, if you are as small as I am, a nice Giant Perigee road bike for $200...

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  5. #5
    Member warp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill
    Well, without knowing how tall you are, it's a bit difficult, but I just looked at IAH's CL and spotted a nice Schwinn Tempo for $150, ready to ride (complete with aerobars!), or, if you are as small as I am, a nice Giant Perigee road bike for $200...

    East Hill
    (FYI) Height: 5'10"

    And thanks for the info, I'll have a look over on CL and check those bikes out!



    Still, I should say that I do have a bit of a concern that I might be missing out on some technological improvements by going with an older bike.

    Seeing statements like the following (from over in the vintage forum) makes me a bit nervous about the a vintage bike option. . . .

    riding a vintage bike...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinLine
    I have a vintage bike (1991 Basso Lotto, Full Campy Record) and while it is a work of art and hangs on wall, I do not ride it. Technology and evolution in design has really made these obsolete for serious road cycling. Downtube shifters? Who in the name of God, wants to use these! Heavy too.

    My suggestion would be to get yourself a good entry level road bike with at least Shim 105 group. You will not be disappointed.

    Personally, I don't have an opinion on this matter---what do I know?

    But I do have to make the choice.

  6. #6
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does depend. If you just want a good, sturdy bike, without plans for racing, an older steel bike works perfectly. Down tube shifters are old technology, but work extremely well.

    You could try PM'ing someone like bigbossman to ask him about how he retrofitted his Palo Alto frame (or, just read some of his threads).


    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  7. #7
    Member warp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill
    It does depend. If you just want a good, sturdy bike, without plans for racing, an older steel bike works perfectly. Down tube shifters are old technology, but work extremely well.

    You could try PM'ing someone like bigbossman to ask him about how he retrofitted his Palo Alto frame (or, just read some of his threads).


    East Hill
    I did want to do some racing, so that is a bit of a concern. But it is nice to know what my options are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •