Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-07, 02:16 AM   #1
raffa
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brand new

Hi folks, my name is Raffaele, which i shortened in raffa. I have been riding bike in Milano in Italy for the last 10 years to go to work everyday, no matter the wheather. I got here out of frustration from my latest bike: 4 years ago i bought a Kronan, a swedish bike they claimed to last forever. Well, two months ago the handle broke in two, right in the middle of rush hour in downtown traffic. I got it fixed, and one week later the rim of the wheel broke, lenghtwise. I was lucky the rubber did not explode! In any case, Kronan doesn't have a distributori here in Italy, I contected them in Sweden and the basically said: gna gna gna, we cannot do anything for you. Right now i'm moving with my very old byke which is starting to collapse (over ten years old) so i am about to buy a new one. Now, is there anyone who can give me suggestions? I am a good biker, but i use it in downtown traffic in a city like Milano (no hills, basically flat). I ride between 6 to 12 miles each day, depending if i have to move around the city. I have seen there are so many alternatives i just do not know how i can make up my mind, so i am turning to you guys for help. Price range? 400 to 600 Euros.
Thanks for your help to a newcomer and have a safe ride you all!
raffa
raffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-07, 02:56 AM   #2
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello raffa--oddly enough, there's a thread in the General Cycling forum about the reliability of Kronan bikes...

Do you plan to ever take your bike off the road, as in mountain biking? Are your roads smooth, or are you likely to encounter cobblestones and potholes?

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-07, 05:46 AM   #3
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Bikes: 2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Raffa,

I think you are probably in the market for a hybrid or flat-bar road bike. I think if you do a search in the commuting forum you'll get all the info you need.


I'm moving to Milan in a few months. Where do you commute to and from?

I'm in Milan next week looking at areas in which to live and we're thinking of Porta Romana at this point.
Johnny_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 10:00 AM   #4
raffa
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Monkey
Raffa,

I think you are probably in the market for a hybrid or flat-bar road bike. I think if you do a search in the commuting forum you'll get all the info you need.


I'm moving to Milan in a few months. Where do you commute to and from?

I'm in Milan next week looking at areas in which to live and we're thinking of Porta Romana at this point.
Looks like you know Milano already. I live more towards the airport, but close enough to Porta Romana. Porta Romana now has become veri intereting before of the new subway stations, which in a city like Milano really makes a difference, but i was lucky enough long time ago to find a town house and i wouldn't change for anything in the world. Plus, it's a dead end street, and we have guaranteed parking 24/24 365 days a year, which is quite a feat!
Give me a call: 0229013583 or 3358001031
Ciao
Raffa
raffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 10:03 AM   #5
raffa
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill
Hello raffa--oddly enough, there's a thread in the General Cycling forum about the reliability of Kronan bikes...

Do you plan to ever take your bike off the road, as in mountain biking? Are your roads smooth, or are you likely to encounter cobblestones and potholes?

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
I usually bike downtown and do not plan any off-the-road byclicling for the time being. The road is generally smooth with few potholes, but nothing major. And yes, there's cobblestones on the way to my University which is quite annoying sometimes.
Ciao
raffa
raffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 10:08 AM   #6
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffa
Hi folks, my name is Raffaele, which i shortened in raffa. I have been riding bike in Milano in Italy for the last 10 years to go to work everyday, no matter the wheather.
Ciao Raffa!

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 10:14 AM   #7
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffa
I usually bike downtown and do not plan any off-the-road byclicling for the time being. The road is generally smooth with few potholes, but nothing major. And yes, there's cobblestones on the way to my University which is quite annoying sometimes.
Ciao
raffa
The cobblestones might point you to a hybrid bike, then. If your streets were flat and smooth, you would be able to use a road bike, but those cobblestones are hard on road bikes .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 11:18 AM   #8
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Bikes: 2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffa
Looks like you know Milano already. I live more towards the airport, but close enough to Porta Romana. Porta Romana now has become veri intereting before of the new subway stations, which in a city like Milano really makes a difference, but i was lucky enough long time ago to find a town house and i wouldn't change for anything in the world. Plus, it's a dead end street, and we have guaranteed parking 24/24 365 days a year, which is quite a feat!
Give me a call: 0229013583 or 3358001031
Ciao
Raffa

When you say new subway do you mean MM3 or the 4th line? I will be working in San Donato Milanese so I really have to be on the yellow line as I don't want to drive.

I am not looking forward to riding in Milan itself, but I am looking forward to riding around Como, Bellagio etc...
Johnny_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 08:46 AM   #9
raffa
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Monkey
When you say new subway do you mean MM3 or the 4th line? I will be working in San Donato Milanese so I really have to be on the yellow line as I don't want to drive.

I am not looking forward to riding in Milan itself, but I am looking forward to riding around Como, Bellagio etc...
Porta Romana is on the yellow line that will lead you close to san donato: are you going to work for ENI? they're the major employer of the area.
Como lake is nice, although lake Maggiore is probably my favourite: Como is more dramatic, Maggiore has nicer surroundings, there are two smaller lakes nearby (Lake orta and Mergozzo), but itt's and individual taste, as you know.
raffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 04:33 PM   #10
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Bikes: 2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffa
Porta Romana is on the yellow line that will lead you close to san donato: are you going to work for ENI? they're the major employer of the area.
Como lake is nice, although lake Maggiore is probably my favourite: Como is more dramatic, Maggiore has nicer surroundings, there are two smaller lakes nearby (Lake orta and Mergozzo), but itt's and individual taste, as you know.

I will be working for a company affiliated with Eni.

Is it easy to ride from Porta Romana to somewhere that it's pleasant to ride? I've heard Monza is nice.
Johnny_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 03:07 AM   #11
raffa
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
easy ride

the easiest ride is to the a romanesque abbey wich is just outside Milano, the Abbazia di Chiaravalle: if you take corso di porta romana going out of town and keep going, after about 5 miles you'l be almost out of town and cloese to Chiaravalle: you'll find easily the signs.
Monza and its park, with the royal palace, are nice, but getting there is hell. In week-end days may be better, but when i have to go there for work i just cannot stand the traffic!
raffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 10:22 AM   #12
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Bikes: 2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found Chiaravalle on the map. It's not too far away but I assum it's all flat. I think I might ask around at some bici shops (if they parlo Inglese) and see if there are any group rides happening.

The best time to ride around Milano might be early in the morning.
Johnny_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11 PM.