Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Corpus Christi, Texas Windknot Flies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My Bikes
    looking for my first 'real' road bike
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Newbie from Texas...

    Hey ya'll! I'm a newbie in just about every sense of the word. I'm 35 and before I met the love of my life, Denise, I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid. Anyways, we're both what could be called 'outdoorsy', however she is a runner and biker (not the leather jacket kind, of course). Anyways, I decided to tag along with her a few months ago on one of her rides and I've been hooked ever since. I started out only doing a pitiful 10 miles at a time. It soon progressed to 15, then 20, then 30, and finally 40 miles (and increasing all the time). What's more is that I'm keeping up with her on this ancient Bridgestone mountain bike. Haha. I'm looking to buy my first road bike because I'm ready to make that first critical purchase. I'm both STOKED & confused all at once. There's so many choices out there. Hopefully I can get some advice as well learn from everyone here in the forum. As far as some info about me: I'm a full time fishing guide, ACA paddling instructor, Army vet/paratrooper (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc), and neophyte rider. I look forward to gaining some knowledge from everyone!


    Capt H. Ashley
    USCG Certified / Texas Parks & Wildlife Licensed Guide
    American Canoe Association Paddling Instructor
    Corpus Christi, Texas

  2. #2
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Captain, you certainly got around in the Army--hope you at least got to see the wildlife and not too much unpleasant action being a paratrooper.

    That's a great introduction, too. If you can, we'd love to see photos of the Bridgestone at the Classic & Vintage section (there's a thread for vintage mountain bikes).

    What are you considering for a road bike?

    Welcome to BF!

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  3. #3
    Corpus Christi, Texas Windknot Flies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My Bikes
    looking for my first 'real' road bike
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey EH,

    Well, if you consider angry Iraqis, and Serbs w/AK-47s "wildlife" then YES I DID see plenty of wildlife...haha. Anyways, as far as road bikes I'm considering, I'm trying to break it down to brands first. I think I've narrowed to Trek and Specialized. I don't want to fall into that trap of dumping more than 2 grand on my FIRST bike. My girlfriend rides a Dolce Elite and loves it. Another girl my girlfriend rides with got sold WAAAYYY too much bike by a local shop (I'm sure you know what I"m talking about). It was her first road bike and she spent way too much. I figure I can pick up a good solid entry level bike for under 1300 bucks. I know EVERYONE has an opinion about brands, models, and makes, but I was considering the Specialized Sequoia Elite. It's at the price range and has the basic carbon components I want. Like I said, I'm a beginner. I would even consider buying a used bike. Anyways, thats about it. Any and all opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

    ~ Harris
    Last edited by Windknot Flies; 07-25-07 at 07:45 AM.

  4. #4
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping to hear that you had avoided the angry people with rapid fire guns, actually. I was thinking more along the lines of spotting Imperial Eagles, catching some of those wily carp, seeing warbler migrations, hunting wild boars...that kind of thing.

    So, back to bikes:

    Ah, used bikes....sleek, vintage steel beasties...a bargain compared to what you could spend for a new bike...a great ride...

    I'm waxing rhapsodic, sorry. If you are any good at wrenching/fixing things, a used bike can be a great bargain. Come take a look at what we find in this thread:

    ebay and/or craigslist finds part II

    and go back and forth a few pages.

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  5. #5
    Unique Vintage Steel cuda2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
    Posts
    11,486
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The $1200-$1400 price range is a perfect price point for a first bike. A Tiagra equipped Trek or Specalized should be plenty of bike for you for quite some time. Sounds like you're on the right track, best of luck with the bike buying search. And be sure to swing through the Texas regional forum as well when you get a chance.
    [CENTER][URL="http://VeloBase.com"][IMG]http://velobase.com/App_Themes/VeloBase2_blue/Images/VeloBase2TitleCampagnolo.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://JonPFischer.com"][COLOR="#006400"]Fischer Photography[/COLOR][/URL] - [URL="http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/785462-My-new-modern-quot-Classic-quot-Kirk-JKS-Classic-Terraplane"][COLOR="#8b0000"]Kirk Frameworks JKS-Classic Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

  6. #6
    Corpus Christi, Texas Windknot Flies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My Bikes
    looking for my first 'real' road bike
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    I was hoping to hear that you had avoided the angry people with rapid fire guns, actually. I was thinking more along the lines of spotting Imperial Eagles, catching some of those wily carp, seeing warbler migrations, hunting wild boars...that kind of thing.

    So, back to bikes:

    Ah, used bikes....sleek, vintage steel beasties...a bargain compared to what you could spend for a new bike...a great ride...

    I'm waxing rhapsodic, sorry. If you are any good at wrenching/fixing things, a used bike can be a great bargain. Come take a look at what we find in this thread:

    ebay and/or craigslist finds part II

    and go back and forth a few pages.


    Haha.. Angry locals aside, I DID catch one of Sadams carp with my fly rod (I never leave home without it...even when I'm in the desert), and I DID see plenty of birds. I'm a birder as well and do birding tours here in my home state. I'll check out the thread you suggested, EH. THANKS!

  7. #7
    Corpus Christi, Texas Windknot Flies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My Bikes
    looking for my first 'real' road bike
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda2k View Post
    The $1200-$1400 price range is a perfect price point for a first bike. A Tiagra equipped Trek or Specalized should be plenty of bike for you for quite some time. Sounds like you're on the right track, best of luck with the bike buying search. And be sure to swing through the Texas regional forum as well when you get a chance.

    Thanks Cuda. I'll certainly check out the Texas Forum. Denise and I road the Town Lake trail in Austin a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast. When I'm not doing guided fishing/birding trips we're traveling looking a new places to ride or hike. I'll hit ya up on the Texas forum because we're looking for road/mountain bike trail to ride here in Texas. Tight Lines....


    Harris

  8. #8
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windknot Flies View Post
    Haha.. Angry locals aside, I DID catch one of Sadams carp with my fly rod (I never leave home without it...even when I'm in the desert), and I DID see plenty of birds. I'm a birder as well and do birding tours here in my home state. I'll check out the thread you suggested, EH. THANKS!
    Do you, now?

    Sending you a PM.

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  9. #9
    Senior Member john224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    windknot, shoot me an email since we are both in CC. I take that you must be with the CCAD. I too just started riding when I got here about six months ago. I got a mountain bike and ride it whenever I go to Austin, they have great trails up there and their local group, the ARR, is really friendly. I am sure you have been riding with the local group out of Lamar park on the weekend, I did but have not lately since I've been vacationing. I too started on a trek 1000, a hand-me-down bike and it is a really good bike that you can start on, I drooled all over a specialized tarmac from the start but wasn't going to buy it until I was certain I would stay in the sport and make good use of it. My wife just surprised me and bought it for me as a gift. As far as buying a bike, from all the search I did, I personally think that $2000 is the breaking point for a good bike...Can you make use of it when you start, probably not, but does it hurt you to have a full Ultegra drivetrain, mavic wheels, and carbon fiber frame? probably not. That said, I don't like to to buy something for $1500 and a year down the road figure that I want the better things and spend an additional $2000 for a bike that I could have had for an additional $500. But it's personal preference.
    I can't wait to get back and start riding the new bike. shoot me an email or pm me and we can get together for rides.
    john

  10. #10
    Corpus Christi, Texas Windknot Flies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My Bikes
    looking for my first 'real' road bike
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey John,

    How are you doing? Yes, Denise and I started riding with the Lamar Park group a few weeks ago. If you haven't already heard, a great cyclist and man named Donny got killed this weekend while riding the route usually taken by the Lamar Park group. Denise, 3 other friends and I had JUST spoken to him probably just minutes before he was killed. Strangely enough, right after we spoke to him, my girlfriend said she didn't feel well and we turned around and headed back. The three other we were riding with were the first people on the tragic scene. I feel horrible because I've had a lot of first aid/combat injury training with the Army and MAYBE I could have done SOMETHING. Our friends said even if I had been there, I would not have been able to do anything. Apparently he didn't stop at a stop sign and was going about 30 mph. The truck that hit him was traveling around 40mph when the accident happened. Hopefully he didn't know what hit him and he didn't suffer. As cliche as it sounds, at least he died doing what he loved to do. It is still tragic loss despite the circumstances. The memorial was this weekend and the local cycling community is still in shock. The story can be found on this link: http://caller.com/news/2007/jul/30/c...-honor-fallen/ It has been quite a sad weekend, but it just drives home the importance of safety for all cyclists. But enough of that for now...

    It's great to hear from a local and Denise and I will certainly shoot you a message so we can hook up and ride together....just take it easy on me...I'm a beginner. =) We've been doing about a 40 mile ride every saturday with some shorter 25-30 milers 3-4 days a week. My goal is to do the MS 150 next year (just so I can say I've done it...you know how it is.) I still haven't bought my first 'official' road bike, but will do so soon. I figure if I'm pedaling a steel Bridgestone moutain bike and having little problems with 40 mile rides, then I should be in pretty good shape when I get a real bike. =) Anyways, take care John, and I look forward to riding with you soon.

    Tight Lines~

    Harris

  11. #11
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very sad story...and I will leave it at that.

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  12. #12
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,114
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windknot Flies View Post
    Hey ya'll! I'm a newbie in just about every sense of the word. I'm 35 and before I met the love of my life, Denise, I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid. Anyways, we're both what could be called 'outdoorsy', however she is a runner and biker (not the leather jacket kind, of course). Anyways, I decided to tag along with her a few months ago on one of her rides and I've been hooked ever since. I started out only doing a pitiful 10 miles at a time. It soon progressed to 15, then 20, then 30, and finally 40 miles (and increasing all the time). What's more is that I'm keeping up with her on this ancient Bridgestone mountain bike. Haha. I'm looking to buy my first road bike because I'm ready to make that first critical purchase. I'm both STOKED & confused all at once. There's so many choices out there. Hopefully I can get some advice as well learn from everyone here in the forum. As far as some info about me: I'm a full time fishing guide, ACA paddling instructor, Army vet/paratrooper (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc), and neophyte rider. I look forward to gaining some knowledge from everyone!


    Capt H. Ashley
    USCG Certified / Texas Parks & Wildlife Licensed Guide
    American Canoe Association Paddling Instructor
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    First off, I honor your service! Welcome to Bike Forums, you sound like you'll be a great contributor here in so many ways that I have no specific forum recommendations for you!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  13. #13
    Senior Member john224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tom,

    that's really sad to hear, I started riding with you guys and have learned so much. Without a formal introduction on my first ride, there were a few fast guys that were hanging around when I got dropped to make sure I would know my way back and really started teaching me the intricacies of group riding. Our prayers are with his family. Right now I have been on leave and will be back the first week of august, we will definitely have to hook up for rides. I am shooting for a century around October and hope to do a sprint Tri sometime next year. I just completed my first adventure racing in california...10 hrs, 40 min of pure pain and misery but what a race...I'll tell you more about it when I get back
    John

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    K2 Mach 1.0
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •