Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/)
-   -   Hello from Miami Beach! (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/382166-hello-miami-beach.html)

prhey404 01-24-08 07:49 PM

Hello from Miami Beach!
 
I want to get started mountain biking, there are crazy trails at Oleta park, I rented a bike and ridden there once, but want to get my own bike and start pounding the trails. Plus I just sold my car and for some odd reason I am saving so much more money! So maybe I can start riding more and saving more, now that gas is like $3.20 a gallon now. I call myself saving for a new car, but who knows! I get more time to read on the bus :) Anyways hello and looking for the best bike to get started with, thinking about a specialized rockhopper...

-=(8)=- 01-24-08 07:52 PM

Welcome !! :beer:

Im north in Juno.
Check Craigslist for used stuff.....
There is a nice Rockhopper in West Palms CL, so they
do come up......

Be safe......As you well know, the traffic is INSANE here in S. Floruba :eek: :eek:
Bad enuff to look at, worse to ride in :cry:

East Hill 01-24-08 08:46 PM

Hi prhey404, it sounds as if you had a great time on your first ride! Keep up the good work, and enjoy the heck out of whatever you decide upon :) .

Welcome to BF!

East Hill

bac 01-25-08 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhey404 (Post 6044883)
I want to get started mountain biking, there are crazy trails at Oleta park, I rented a bike and ridden there once, but want to get my own bike and start pounding the trails. Plus I just sold my car and for some odd reason I am saving so much more money! So maybe I can start riding more and saving more, now that gas is like $3.20 a gallon now. I call myself saving for a new car, but who knows! I get more time to read on the bus :) Anyways hello and looking for the best bike to get started with, thinking about a specialized rockhopper...

Hey prhey404 .... many welcome to BikeForums!! The mountain bike is addictive for sure - the rockhopper is a solid choice. :D

... Brad

fordfasterr 01-25-08 09:26 AM

If you plan to commute in Miami Beach, I suggest that you get a bike that is not so ultra expensive (lots of thieves there).

Also, get a really good ulock AND a new york chain and lock kit (ebay for $60)


Also, to help with slipping through traffic, a fixed gear (or single speed) with chopped flat bar will do wonders ! Skinny wheels help a ton and allow for much faster speeds with less effort than mountain bike tires (even with slicks)..

I've always had good luck with narrow handlebars for splitting lanes and slipping into tight spots with lots of traffic (which there is plenty of down in South Beach).


For the Oleta trails, get yourself whatever bike you want !


Good luck !

prhey404 01-28-08 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordfasterr (Post 6047494)
If you plan to commute in Miami Beach, I suggest that you get a bike that is not so ultra expensive (lots of thieves there).

Also, get a really good ulock AND a new york chain and lock kit (ebay for $60)


Also, to help with slipping through traffic, a fixed gear (or single speed) with chopped flat bar will do wonders ! Skinny wheels help a ton and allow for much faster speeds with less effort than mountain bike tires (even with slicks)..

I've always had good luck with narrow handlebars for splitting lanes and slipping into tight spots with lots of traffic (which there is plenty of down in South Beach).


For the Oleta trails, get yourself whatever bike you want !



Good luck !

Thanks everyone!!! I did end up getting a bike, the FSRxc, it was the most comfortable. I rode it about 3 hours yesterday, and to oleta this weekend! I'm reading the manual and stuff to make sure I know what I'm doing, there's so many knobs on that thing. I am terrified of people who steal bikes, I see them everywhere around the beach w missing tires/etc. I don't plan on leaving it anywhere but in my apt if I'm not riding it for now. I think if I want to commute more with it I will get another one for that. Thanks for all the advice!

Arab T.R. Wrist 01-28-08 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- (Post 6044909)
Welcome !! :beer:

Be safe......As you well know, the traffic is INSANE here in S. Floruba :eek: :eek:
Bad enuff to look at, worse to ride in :cry:

Firstly Hello prhey404 and have fun hitting those trails!

As for above: Sir you are not lying, I did a ride through Ft. Liquerdale and Miami with a few mates and within 4 hours watched two of them get clipped and nearly caught a fender myself. Yikes, soFlo is soCrazy. Orlando is still fairly sane to ride in and loads of back roads.

Stay safe out there kiddies!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.