Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/)
-   -   I'd Rather be on my Bicycle, (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/388544-id-rather-my-bicycle.html)

yakmurph 02-15-08 03:06 PM

I'd Rather be on my Bicycle,
 
-which is not strictly true.

Hi!

My brother, who still plays in the dirt -he's a dirty ol' man- turned me on to this forum.

I'm older than he is. Cleaner too.

My bike is a Cruzbike Sofrider V1.
I've been riding it for almost a year: it works for me, being the most comfortable
two-wheeled street machine of any sort I've ever ridden.

If you're riding the back roads in East Tennessee, chances are you'll see me.
Sooner or later.

East Hill 02-15-08 07:18 PM

Hi yakmurph! I take it that you don't drag the Sofrider out on the trails :D . Just joking, of course!

Welcome to BF!

East Hill

http://www.quickservekids.com/var/ww.../pink_star.jpg

Spiduhman 02-21-08 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakmurph (Post 6172717)
-which is not strictly true.

Hi!

My brother, who still plays in the dirt -he's a dirty ol' man- turned me on to this forum.

I'm older than he is. Cleaner too.

My bike is a Cruzbike Sofrider V1.
I've been riding it for almost a year: it works for me, being the most comfortable
two-wheeled street machine of any sort I've ever ridden.

If you're riding the back roads in East Tennessee, chances are you'll see me.
Sooner or later.

Yes Yak, you ARE older, not cleaner.

"Sofrider" - Heh, 'nuff said.

East Tennessee riders will see you, sooner, as they are closing on you hand over fist, then dropping you like a hot&rotton potato!

It's o.k., he my brother, and I love him (anyway)!!

yakmurph 02-21-08 04:48 PM

Back from a 20-mile plus ride...temp hovering above freezing...fingertips cold, but thawing...saw a crazy roadie out there: what's he doing, riding in weather like this?!
Bikers are nuts.

Sixty Fiver 02-21-08 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakmurph (Post 6207970)
Back from a 20-mile plus ride...temp hovering above freezing...fingertips cold, but thawing...saw a crazy roadie out there: what's he doing, riding in weather like this?!
Bikers are nuts.

Tennessee you say ?

You should see how crazy those Canucks are when it comes to riding in crappy weather... just stop by the winter cycling forum and make sure you bring your toque.

Welcome to BF

Tude 02-21-08 05:36 PM

Heh, while not being quite in the Northern Exposure ... to ride in this colder weather - ya just have to dress for it. Course when you're on a budget (like me) - it took me a couplea years to finally build the decent winter dress set-up that I aimed at. hehe - little on the expensive side - but the stuff lasts - unless you crash and rip it of course. :)

BTW - welcome!!

And go get some full finger gloves - you'll be so happy. Before when I was wearing 3shirts plus bulky sweatshirt, winter tights (only winter clothing btw) with another pair of summer tights over them, 3 pairs of socks and a pair of winter gloves (leather no less and not lined) I used to ride motorcycle with a pair of fingerless bicycling gloves over them, head warmer over ears, head warmer hanging down in the neck area for mouth, chin and neck guard - OY! I actually was warm riding in below -10F temps - but I went out one day at that temp - sun out and only got about 10 minutes down the road and my finger tips hurt so bad that I pulled into a store and nearly cried. The pain was soooo bad. I'm a 100% commuter --- and mtb rider as well as a roadie too - get some good gloves - you'll sooooooooo, <again> sooooooo enjoy them!!!

qcpmsame 02-21-08 06:45 PM

Welcome aboard BF, good to see some brotherly love here:rolleyes: yeah, roadies like us are nuts as are MTB and commuters, etc, etc.etc. Make sure you check the regional forums for other riders and groups in your area.

Bill

yakmurph 02-21-08 10:22 PM

Thanks All!
 
I follow the adventures of a fellow 'bent rider who rides year-round in Norway!
He cheats though...studded tires...fairing....

My winter gloves are heavy leather motorcycle thinsulate gauntlets: my fingers just get cold.
The answer, besides heated grips, is a fairing.
...And like you (but probably not like YOU), I'm cheap.

Unlike anyone else?
When the temp is less than 40F, I wear my full-face Arai (motorcycle helmet).
It's warm.
:)

Anyway, thanks for the welcome:
I'm off to bug you guys elsewhere in this big biker jungle....

Tude 02-22-08 01:04 AM

Awright, gotta ask...

Full facer (motorcycle) on a bent?

...

I was in the LBS not long ago and was just buying a bike part and all the help disappeared and so there was a couple REALLY interested in a recumbent that (there's so many styles of these too!!) had a tall mesh-like seat that you could get nice and comfortable in as well as some other very nice features of the bike.

She (the wife really wanted it) asked me about a full face helmet and I stalled - I personally could/would not - but then again - I ride where I ride - and do not know where other riders are doing their thing.

Anyway, to make a long story short - she was pleased with the bike and equipment - but when I left the store she was not having a good time trying to steer the bent when out in the parking lot for a test ride. Don't think she bought it too.

So anyway, long story short, I haven't heard of many people wanting full face and so had to respond.

:D

yakmurph 02-22-08 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tude (Post 6210374)
Awright, gotta ask...

Full facer (motorcycle) on a bent?

...

I was in the LBS not long ago and was just buying a bike part and all the help disappeared and so there was a couple REALLY interested in a recumbent that (there's so many styles of these too!!) had a tall mesh-like seat that you could get nice and comfortable in as well as some other very nice features of the bike.

She (the wife really wanted it) asked me about a full face helmet and I stalled - I personally could/would not - but then again - I ride where I ride - and do not know where other riders are doing their thing.

Anyway, to make a long story short - she was pleased with the bike and equipment - but when I left the store she was not having a good time trying to steer the bent when out in the parking lot for a test ride. Don't think she bought it too.

So anyway, long story short, I haven't heard of many people wanting full face and so had to respond.

:D

Once upon a time, I was a professional motorcyclist, and so, there's all this cool gear lying around, gathering dust.

Now then, I could have purchased new goggles, helmet cover, warmies, and other geeky bicycle-specific winter riding gear, OR, wear what I already have...and STILL look geeky!

The helmet is way, way safe. -(My sister did a face-plant, breaking her face in many places,
after colliding with a loose dog. She was wearing a foam bicycle helmet. Her shades saved her right eye.)
I like winter-riding in my full-face helmet.
Hard to breathe in, without fogging the visor, but doable.
Like I mentioned, it's warm.
It's quiet.
My eyes do not water while wearing the Arai, which is a big advantage.

The down side?
No one else does this, that I know of.
Wait!
That's Good!
I stand out!
More visibility is always a good thing.

All right, the downside:
It's heavy.
Lots of wind resistance.
(I'm not racing, so it does not matter.)
Cannot sip fluids/rehydrate from a water bottle on the bike, with the helmet on.

'Bents.
I found the learning curve long, challenging and...long.
Why a 'bent then?
I can't sit on any standard DF bicycle seat for any longer than 20 minutes.
I've tried many different seats, even on stationary bikes/spinning machines.
I CAN sit on my Sofrider for hours, in comfort, without the help of any gels, furs, chamois or
other palliative aids.

So, I was motivated.
The woman in your LBS was not.

Spiduhman 02-22-08 08:57 PM

Uhhmmm, palliative!

Yak can go on that thing!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 AM.