Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fixing my new Cruiser-TN

    Hey everyone

    My name is Stephen, my buddy just got me into bikes and I've been looking for one all week. Finally found one today at a metal scrapyard and pulled it out for 8$. Anyways, I don't know much about bikes and I'll probably need some help getting this badboy on the road. Here's how it sits in my garage.






    Here are the whitewalls that were on it, they're pretty shot...

  2. #2
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    With a bit of work, that will turn out nice. Welcome to the forums.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  3. #3
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi EzCruiser, run a search for 'oxalic acid'...and remember to take photos of your project as you go!


    Welcome to BF!

    East Hill

    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "a rust remover in such applications as automotive shops and for the restoration of antiques."

    I'll definitely check this out. I'm headed back to the scrapyard today to see if I can score some more stuff. I've found my first problem.

    My pedals don't turn. At all, frozen in place. My friend said there are bearings in there that are likely super rusted. Is this something that can be fixed? Can I get new bearings at lets say, walmart?

  5. #5
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You can probably buy pedals and grease at walmart, but will have to find a good bike shop or hardware store to find loose ball bearings.

    The mechanics forum and the classic and vintage forum would be great jumping off points in your search for information about restoring your find.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  6. #6
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzCruiser View Post
    "a rust remover in such applications as automotive shops and for the restoration of antiques."

    I'll definitely check this out. I'm headed back to the scrapyard today to see if I can score some more stuff. I've found my first problem.

    My pedals don't turn. At all, frozen in place. My friend said there are bearings in there that are likely super rusted. Is this something that can be fixed? Can I get new bearings at lets say, walmart?
    The pedals don't turn, or they don't pedal?

    It sounds as if you may need to redo the bottom bracket...which could be tough, because you have what are known as 'cottered' cranks.

    Try squirting a bunch of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster anywhere things appear to not be moving properly, and let us know what happens.

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  7. #7
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get ready for a labor of love/hate.

    At a glancing estimate, it'll take you what a new version of that bike costs to fix it...not including your labor. There's nothing wrong at all with restoring an old bike, just keep in mind that it can often cost more than you might think. Aftermarket parts are expensive, Huffy cruisers are cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I squirted some oil in there and now the pedals are working. You can hear that some of the bearings are shot though, if I get it apart I can grease everything but idk if the rust will let me do that. I got a seat from the scrapyard along with some newish wheels (whitewall even!) Also picked up a bike for my sister and only had to pump up the tires and get a new chain (several of the links were frozen). The only thing really holding me back now is my chain. Walmart only offered 2 chains, one for multispeed bikes and one for 1-3 speed bikes. The multispeed fit my sisters bike perfect but the 1-3 was too short for mine. The multispeed length chain will be much too long for this bicycle. What should I do to remedy this?

    Also, I'll go take some pictures right now and get them up.

  9. #9
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzCruiser View Post
    I squirted some oil in there and now the pedals are working. You can hear that some of the bearings are shot though, if I get it apart I can grease everything but idk if the rust will let me do that. I got a seat from the scrapyard along with some newish wheels (whitewall even!) Also picked up a bike for my sister and only had to pump up the tires and get a new chain (several of the links were frozen). The only thing really holding me back now is my chain. Walmart only offered 2 chains, one for multispeed bikes and one for 1-3 speed bikes. The multispeed fit my sisters bike perfect but the 1-3 was too short for mine. The multispeed length chain will be much too long for this bicycle. What should I do to remedy this?

    Also, I'll go take some pictures right now and get them up.
    Try some oxalic acid on the chain, too. Or, it could be that the chain is too gummed up with grease and gunk. Otherwise, you should be able to use a chain breaking tool to shorten the new chain...

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike


    Whitewalls


    Blue seat I found at scrapyard


    Sisters *new* bike


    Frame

  11. #11
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find that the biggest difference between the two chains is how WIDE the link is, and the skinnier chain won't fit over your cruiser sprocket. I recommend you get an inexpensive chain tool at a hardware store and use it to take a section out of your OLD chain and add it to your NEW 1-3 speed chain.
    The tool works easily, and once you've practiced a bit on the old chain pushing the pins out and back in I think you'll be okay.
    TRICK: push the pin out almost all the way, then flex the chain sideways to open it. If the new chain comes with a master link you should splice the links in a way that keeps the master link in the chain. It's handy when you need to open the chain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •