I am wanting to buy a bicycle! I live in Manhattan and mainly want to go for long rides out and about the city and nearby- mainly road and cycle tracks, although the roads are far from pristine. I guess I'd like to do some off-road stuff on occasion also. And heres the clincher... I may have signed myself up to do a 3200KM tour across Australia early next year... yoikes! I am 34, 5'11'' with 32.6" (82.87cm) inseam.
I'd like to spend $1-2K max. I'm confident that I want a steel frame.....Given these specs, what are the thoughts out there?
1. I seem to have boiled things down to a Surly Cross-check or Salsa La Cruce. Any other suggestions?
2. Disk or cantilever brakes?
3. I was told there may be an issue with stability with the higher BB on cyclo bikes....
4. Sizes I should be looking at in the above bikes (1.)?
5. Best store to go shopping?
6. Any other suggestions?
Thanks, in advance, for yr sage advice.