Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-08, 10:57 PM   #1
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Discovered I seem to be part of a movement

Seems like a large number of people are discovering the true cost of car ownership, the least of which is insurance and gas, so it was great to discover all of you and your increasingly clever modes of transportation, especially in my favorite field, the electrics.

I'm an ex commodities trader, ex house builder, ex sheep, living in my solar powered shack in Colorado, playing around with alternate ways of moving my flesh around without a car, while avoiding a heart attack, as I'm over 50 and 6500' high.

Good to know there's a good crowd of cyclists out there.

Last edited by wernmax; 06-08-08 at 08:28 PM.
wernmax is online now  
Old 05-23-08, 11:59 PM   #2
succeedpeople
Junior Member
 
succeedpeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: China
Bikes: Wisper 905Se electric bicycle.
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agree.
succeedpeople is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 07:22 AM   #3
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, there's definitely increasing numbers of people who like that tiny little extra push to get up hills, and yet enjoy pedalling most of the time.

What bike are you riding?

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator

__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 11:35 AM   #4
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Hey, thanks for the welcome East Hill. Went to your blog. Found myself laughing out loud at "The lamp is as tall as I am."

My main bike is an old 2004 TidalForce that has about 8K miles on it now, rigged up to pull a fairly large trailer.

I have several bikes that I'll post pictures of as soon as I figure out how, as I'm not exactly computer savy.
wernmax is online now  
Old 05-24-08, 12:35 PM   #5
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome!

I'm still in good enough shape that I can manage with a non-electric, but I'm glad to see our postal workers are making the switch from motor scooters to these spiffy electric bicycles:



http://www.loslocostambientienenblog...as-electricas/
Ekdog is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 01:07 PM   #6
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Thanks for the welcome Ekdog.

I can still pedal pretty good, but I needed to be to at the office (4 miles) here in Colorado Springs at 6:00am, rain or shine/365.

The TidalForce does 20mph for about 10 miles, without pedaling, which made it real handy when I needed to shield my face with one of my gloved hands as I rode to work in the latest blizzard. In the dark. Uphill. Both ways.
wernmax is online now  
Old 05-24-08, 01:15 PM   #7
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drop by the 50+ Forum and the Regional Mountain-Plains Forum.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 04:50 PM   #8
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Posts: 16,666
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernmax View Post
I'm ... playing around with alternate ways of moving my flesh around without a car, while avoiding a heart attack, as I'm over 50 and 6500' high.
Welcome to Bike Forums.

Why do you need (want??) an electric bike? I'm 63 and ride 9 miles one way to work and do 20-35 miles on Saturday/Sunday/days off. You can see my bikes in my signature below.
I am the engine !!
__________________


The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 06:04 PM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Welcome to Bike Forums.

Why do you need (want??) an electric bike? I'm 63 and ride 9 miles one way to work and do 20-35 miles on Saturday/Sunday/days off. You can see my bikes in my signature below.
I am the engine !!
Ron is just a young'un at 63. I've got him beat by 5 years, and I ride 20 miles daily and then swim an hour, in addition to weight lifting and walking.

Somehow, I always stay 5 years older than Ron - don't know how, as you would think he would catch up, doing all that riding!

And, I am 6,100 feet high.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 09:26 PM   #10
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Well thanks guys,

I was feeling all sorry for myself, now what am I going to do?

Seeing RonH's bikes has pinpointed my problem... WRONG bike. Since I'm certain it's not because I'm fat and lazy, all I need is the right bike to get up to 20miles/day.

But seriously, you guys do give me lots of hope for being post 50, and I definitly look up to you two, although I can see from both your avatars that I probably won't get close to your riding levels any time soon.

Right now, I'm working on an enclosed electric/pedal three wheeler with heat, sort of like the Twike, but lighter, and hopefuly much cheaper, that I might be able to go get groceries with. My avatar shows proto 1.
wernmax is online now  
Old 05-25-08, 05:33 AM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where in CO are you?

And, by the way, the best way to avoid a heart attack (assuming your heart is A OK now) is get off the electric bike and get on a real bike and start pedaling!

Have fun.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 10:41 PM   #12
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
I'm in Colo. Sprgs., DnvrFox.

I think the old ticker's A-1, but the B.P's 167/100. Weight 210.

Oh great...as a kid it always seemed like the old people were talking about medical crap, and here I are.

I'm guessing no one minds my continued chatting on this thread. I'll probably be in the "electrics" thread from here out anyway.

Figured I'd look around for advise on posting pictures here on the forum, and sure enough I ran across your posts, but of course I'm either not computer cognizeti enough to make it work, or too dense, but I'm working on it.

Last edited by wernmax; 05-26-08 at 04:42 PM.
wernmax is online now  
Old 05-26-08, 05:46 AM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernmax View Post
I'm in Colo. Sprgs., DnvrFox.

I think the old ticker's A-1, but the B.P's 167/100. Weight 210.

Oh great...as a kid it always seemed like the old people were talking about medical crap, and here I are.

I'm guessing no one minds my continued chatting on this thread. I'll probably be in the "electrics" thread from here out anyway.

Figured I'd look around for advise on posting pictures here on the forum, and sure enough I ran across your posts, but of course I'm either not computer cognizgeti enough to make it work, or too dense, but I'm working on it.
That BP is a killer - really - seriously.

Are you seeing a doc?

Exercise is a MUST - to get it down. You are going at this backwards. You don't need less exercise, you need more.

Mine generally runs 120/75 or thereabouts. My sitting pulse is about 58. In addition to exercise, I take HCTZ and Diovan.

The more intensive exercise will be the number one factor in bringing it down. Weight loss will also come with more intensive exercise and a better diet.

Here is what I do:

Bicycling - about 3,500 miles per year. swimming - several hours per week, weight lifting several hours per week (I would hold on the weight lifting until you get the BP down). Walking several hours per week.

The only one that would raise your BP is the weight lifting.

Ask your doc what exercise you can do, and go to it.

You won't be around long at 167/100.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-26-08 at 05:52 AM.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 05-26-08, 09:23 AM   #14
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernmax View Post
Well thanks guys,

I was feeling all sorry for myself, now what am I going to do?

Seeing RonH's bikes has pinpointed my problem... WRONG bike. Since I'm certain it's not because I'm fat and lazy, all I need is the right bike to get up to 20miles/day.

But seriously, you guys do give me lots of hope for being post 50, and I definitly look up to you two, although I can see from both your avatars that I probably won't get close to your riding levels any time soon.

Right now, I'm working on an enclosed electric/pedal three wheeler with heat, sort of like the Twike, but lighter, and hopefuly much cheaper, that I might be able to go get groceries with. My avatar shows proto 1.
Ha! We don't allow anyone to feel sorry for him/herself here . Cycling is fun! I can see why you like the e-bike, but with that BP, you really might want to look at a regular road bike, or even a MTB just to get that little bit more of exercise. Cycling may not cure all your troubles, but it is great for lowering BP. You might want to start off with e-biking on the harder hills, and gradually go to full pedalling as you get stronger.

By the way, I am 53 .



East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 05-26-08, 10:22 AM   #15
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
I really appreciate the concern,guys.

I've never liked that whole "politico/miltary/industrial/insurance/pharmacy" thing that seems to have swept up every facet of American life into it, especially the poor doctors, so I've pretty much stayed out of it all, including ever seeing doctors.

Had some pretty big stress in the last couple years making some righteous $'s, then watching my partner lose it all, while keeping up a pot of coffee/day regimine, but that ended a month ago.

I used to go out blasting around the endless mountain trails around here on my Honda XR650R (while being very cautious of the cyclers, as I'm in both camps) but I haven't even done that the last couple years, as I'm pretty sure a fall would kill me these days, LOL.

I do have "The Bluffs", with it's miles of rugged trails, a few blocks away, and a bunch of bicycle trail enthusiast nephews, and an old aluminum mountain bike I just put some new "serfas drifters" on, so I think I'm going to call them up, and go do that right know.

Maybe I'll get a few pictures.
wernmax is online now  
Old 05-26-08, 10:28 AM   #16
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernmax View Post
I really appreciate the concern,guys.

I've never liked that whole "politico/miltary/industrial/insurance/pharmacy" thing that seems to have swept up every facet of American life into it, especially the poor doctors, so I've pretty much stayed out of it all, including ever seeing doctors.

Had some pretty big stress in the last couple years making some righteous $'s, then watching my partner lose it all, while keeping up a pot of coffee/day regimine, but that ended a month ago.

I used to go out blasting around the endless mountain trails around here on my Honda XR650R (while being very cautious of the cyclers, as I'm in both camps) but I haven't even done that the last couple years, as I'm pretty sure a fall would kill me these days, LOL.

I do have "The Bluffs", with it's miles of rugged trails, a few blocks away, and a bunch of bicycle trail enthusiast nephews, and an old aluminum mountain bike I just put some new "serfas drifters" on, so I think I'm going to call them up, and go do that right know.

Maybe I'll get a few pictures.
You've got a major roadie trail that goes right through the center of the Springs.

I would suggest easing into it insterad of hitting those heavy-duty mtn bike trails right off.

Also, there is a trail from Palmer Lake south that is an easier mtn bike trail - a lot of fun - it goes through a part of the Academy. You can also catch it in Greenland - there is a trailhead there - but that is a bit tougher mtn biking. It is a "red gravel" trail.

And, docs DO have their place.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 05-27-08, 05:52 PM   #17
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Just got in from an 11 mile pedal today, didn't die.

I'm lucky, in that my mom lives about 5 miles east of me, in what I call the "horse hills", just past Murry Blvd, accessed by that east-west bike trail that DnvrFox was talking about, that runs along south of Constitution Ave., and since I really should see her more, makes just about the perfect distance for a "medium" bicycle workout.

So I probably wouldn't have even gone without encouragement from you guys here, so thanks, it was fairly easy, hope to do it often.

It's a great trail, for anyone visiting. It goes clear out to the town of Falcon (about 20 miles), and if you needed to, around 3:00 p.m., you could catch a city bus back into town.
wernmax is online now  
Old 05-27-08, 06:08 PM   #18
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great!!

11 miles is a nice ride.

Keep it up.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 05-27-08, 08:33 PM   #19
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernmax View Post
Just got in from an 11 mile pedal today, didn't die.

I'm lucky, in that my mom lives about 5 miles east of me, in what I call the "horse hills", just past Murry Blvd, accessed by that east-west bike trail that DnvrFox was talking about, that runs along south of Constitution Ave., and since I really should see her more, makes just about the perfect distance for a "medium" bicycle workout.

So I probably wouldn't have even gone without encouragement from you guys here, so thanks, it was fairly easy, hope to do it often.

It's a great trail, for anyone visiting. It goes clear out to the town of Falcon (about 20 miles), and if you needed to, around 3:00 p.m., you could catch a city bus back into town.

Hurrah!



East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 06:02 PM   #20
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
I gave it a week of mild riding, eating my sub sandwiches without cheese and goo, some other mild exercise, B.P today 143/93.

I was suprised at the change, but I have been getting more sleep, less stress, than last few years.
wernmax is online now  
Old 06-01-08, 07:41 PM   #21
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would bet that your doctor is pleased... .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 11:10 PM   #22
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
No, I'm part of the Great Unwashed and Uninsured, and doctors are all about sharp stuff.
wernmax is online now  
Old 06-02-08, 07:17 AM   #23
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernmax View Post
No, I'm part of the Great Unwashed and Uninsured, and doctors are all about sharp stuff.
Then YOU must be pleased .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 07:45 AM   #24
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernmax View Post
I'm over 50 and 6500' high.
You are one tall dude. What size frame to you need? Sorry, but I couldn't help myself.

MANY welcomes to BikeForums!

... Brad
bac is offline  
Old 06-03-08, 03:36 PM   #25
wernmax
Certified Non-Voter
Thread Starter
 
wernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colo Springs, Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Then YOU must be pleased .

East Hill
Thanks East Hill, I am pleased, and a little shocked that 1 week could make that much difference, cus if that's all it takes, it's not so hard, and I might even do more. (Probably find out it's just because I didn't have coffee that morning.)
wernmax is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 PM.