Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    My Bikes
    schwinn tempo
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hey all, new from austin.

    ... and if the forum system had allowed me, my first message would have been blank, as i hit 'return' after my title line instead of 'tab.'

    right then.

    "hi"

    glad to be here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member NobylSpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

    My first post as well, also in Austin.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    My Bikes
    schwinn tempo
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    whoa

    neat. power to austin!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mash Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a fellow Austinite
    - Dave

    Hammer 15% discount referal

    2008 Motobecane Le Champion Ti Roadbike
    2007 Ironhorse Victory 3.0 Roadbike
    2003 Specialized expedition hybrid

  5. #5
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, I just arrived too. Used to live in Austin, graduated in '74 from St. Edward's University. I visited two weeks ago. Though I now live in the Houston area with all its traffic woes, I-35 sure is the pits these days, even non-rush hour. Great places to ride in your town and a good bicycle friendly community...much better than in the early '70's.

  6. #6
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello both ticomadlib and NobylSpoon! Both of you need to check out the regional forums--there's a forum just for Texas .

    What are the two of you riding?

    Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

    East Hill
    Forum Moderator

    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  7. #7
    Senior Member NobylSpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently I am not riding anything. I am considering the Walmart knock off of the Schwinn Varsity for financial reasons. I know that bike is looked down upon by alot of the forum members but its in my budget for the time being. Next season I should have about $2,000 to throw into a bike so I think the Varsity will hold me over until then.

  8. #8
    King of Bartertown
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Flying Pigeon, Shanghai Forever
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hail to thee, Fellow Austinite!

  9. #9
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NobylSpoon View Post
    Currently I am not riding anything. I am considering the Walmart knock off of the Schwinn Varsity for financial reasons. I know that bike is looked down upon by alot of the forum members but its in my budget for the time being. Next season I should have about $2,000 to throw into a bike so I think the Varsity will hold me over until then.
    You should be ok as long as you don't anything too wild. But you will be very happy when you upgrade .

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  10. #10
    Senior Member NobylSpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My work commute is only 4 miles, max speed limit is 40, and bike lane most of the way. I am going to request it unassembled so I don't put my life in the hands of one of Walley World's finest...

    I will probably be picking it up with next weeks paycheck. This seems like a great forum, I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

  11. #11
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NobylSpoon View Post
    My work commute is only 4 miles, max speed limit is 40, and bike lane most of the way. I am going to request it unassembled so I don't put my life in the hands of one of Walley World's finest...

    I will probably be picking it up with next weeks paycheck. This seems like a great forum, I'm glad I stumbled upon it.
    It seems that you have already discovered the best way to go with the X-Mart bikes .

    We like to think that BF is the best cycling forum out there .

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    My Bikes
    schwinn tempo
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    Hello both ticomadlib and NobylSpoon! Both of you need to check out the regional forums--there's a forum just for Texas .

    What are the two of you riding?

    Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

    East Hill
    Forum Moderator

    thanks east hill. seems like a good place to be.

    I just bought a bike today (!!!) from craigslist. it's an '88ish schwinn tempo w/ some funky components on it. ive only ridden it for a couple miles so far, but it feels outrageous. cant wait to put some more miles on it. before i do that i have to buy a lock though...

    which reminds me: Hey noblyspoon, spend some cash on a good lock. i had a xmart schwinn as well and thought i could get away with buying a cheap lock. you know, like who would want to steal this?

    the answer is: somebody in austin. ::sigh::

  13. #13
    Fitness Rider Catalium''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mainland,China
    My Bikes
    Road
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance Armstrong also comes from Austin or at least he lived there once,right?

  14. #14
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance lives in the Austin area. Its my understanding he recently opened a bike shop, as if that city needed another.

  15. #15
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticomadlib View Post

    I just bought a bike today (!!!) from craigslist. it's an '88ish schwinn tempo w/ some funky components on it. ive only ridden it for a couple miles so far, but it feels outrageous. cant wait to put some more miles on it.
    Photos? What kind of funky components are on the bike?

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  16. #16
    Senior Member NobylSpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticomadlib View Post
    thanks east hill. seems like a good place to be.

    I just bought a bike today (!!!) from craigslist. it's an '88ish schwinn tempo w/ some funky components on it. ive only ridden it for a couple miles so far, but it feels outrageous. cant wait to put some more miles on it. before i do that i have to buy a lock though...

    which reminds me: Hey noblyspoon, spend some cash on a good lock. i had a xmart schwinn as well and thought i could get away with buying a cheap lock. you know, like who would want to steal this?

    the answer is: somebody in austin. ::sigh::

    Geez that sux. Where did you have it locked up?

  17. #17
    Senior Member NobylSpoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grayloon View Post
    Lance lives in the Austin area. Its my understanding he recently opened a bike shop, as if that city needed another.
    Yup it's called Mellow Johnny's Along with it being a bike shop it is supposed to be designed as a commuter hub for downtown commuters, with showers and lockers.

    I work and live in North Austin so it won't help me too much but it's still good to see something like this opening up here.

    On a little side note: If you are wondering about the drivers here in Austin, Lance himself said that there are days when he is affraid to ride his bike in Austin because of the bad drivers.
    Last edited by NobylSpoon; 06-26-08 at 09:16 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •