Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hello from the Midwest

    I'm basically on this forum searching for information on an individual that may be of help to me. Have already posted regarding this.
    Secondly, if I can be of help to any bicyclists or anything like that I would be happy to answer your questions.
    Thirdly, and please don't turn your back on me, but I'm not really a bike rider but in search of information. I do however find bicyclists out on the trail and enjoy sharing the trail with others. I'm really a horseback rider but must turn to this forum to get the information I need.
    I know many bike riders don't care for us horse riders and I'm sure the opposite is true too. But I feel we can respect one another and still share the trails.
    I will answer questions where I can in regard to horse riders...but I am not here to "slam" anyone for what they like to do...so please do not get irritated with me for being here.
    Thanks so much...
    Sania

  2. #2
    'Bent Brian
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Wellington Ohio
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind
    Posts
    560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sania
    I'm basically on this forum searching for information on an individual that may be of help to me. Have already posted regarding this.
    Secondly, if I can be of help to any bicyclists or anything like that I would be happy to answer your questions.
    Thirdly, and please don't turn your back on me, but I'm not really a bike rider but in search of information. I do however find bicyclists out on the trail and enjoy sharing the trail with others. I'm really a horseback rider but must turn to this forum to get the information I need.
    I know many bike riders don't care for us horse riders and I'm sure the opposite is true too. But I feel we can respect one another and still share the trails.
    I will answer questions where I can in regard to horse riders...but I am not here to "slam" anyone for what they like to do...so please do not get irritated with me for being here.
    Thanks so much...
    Sania

    Hey I'm a cyclist and I have horses too. In fact I've been known to cycle to some of the local horse shows to help our 4-H cliub when I wans't showing myself. Our humble little farm is home to 6 saddle horses and about 30 miniatures, Wait, let me check to see if that last mini mare foaled yet!

    I understand the problems that can crop up between groups on multi-use trails. Years ago in Washington State there was always a feud going on between the horse people and the hikers. I too have come across people on horseback when I was on my bike. I always yeilded to the horse traffic, waiting quietly until the last horse passed before resuming my ride. In return I would expect, no, demand the same courtesy be extended to me by cyclists If I was on horseback and encountered cyclists on the trail. As far as the organic material deposited by horses periodically I was always able to avoid it, and after all it is biodegradeable! (nature's fertilizer)

    From the looks of your posting you must have had some unpleasant dealings with cyclists. Unfortunately that happens sometimes. There is no reason why multiple groups cannot share trails. I hope you can resolve any issues you may come across.

    The other night I had one of the miniatures out in the front yard so I could take some pictures. The little mare promptly trotted over to my brand new recumbent and decided to "taste" the chain. After I verbally chastized her she showed her thanks by gripping the chain in her teeth and then gave it a snap! No damage done but I certainly had a good laugh. Incidentally this same horse will be a perfect angel when my son-in-law shows her. But when I show her she fiidgets, taps me on the toes with her hoof, paws, squirms, tries to eat the lead shank, etc.

    'bent Brian

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bnet1
    Hey I'm a cyclist and I have horses too. In fact I've been known to cycle to some of the local horse shows to help our 4-H cliub when I wans't showing myself. Our humble little farm is home to 6 saddle horses and about 30 miniatures, Wait, let me check to see if that last mini mare foaled yet!

    I understand the problems that can crop up between groups on multi-use trails. Years ago in Washington State there was always a feud going on between the horse people and the hikers. I too have come across people on horseback when I was on my bike. I always yeilded to the horse traffic, waiting quietly until the last horse passed before resuming my ride. In return I would expect, no, demand the same courtesy be extended to me by cyclists If I was on horseback and encountered cyclists on the trail. As far as the organic material deposited by horses periodically I was always able to avoid it, and after all it is biodegradeable! (nature's fertilizer)

    ***I sure wished more cyclists would understand as easily as you do...but perhaps people like you who do both...horses and bikes...really understand.

    From the looks of your posting you must have had some unpleasant dealings with cyclists. Unfortunately that happens sometimes. There is no reason why multiple groups cannot share trails. I hope you can resolve any issues you may come across.

    ***Well actually I have had good experiences so far with cyclists...but through work I know some cyclists who don't wish to share trails at all. There was a bike race being held where I used to stable and there were two "packs" of riders. The lead pack was about 5 bikers and my horse handled it well though she was on alert...the second pack was about 20+ riders, everyone was staying in their positions, the lead biker in that pack mentioned "horse" and then one started speeding up and passing. Well, I felt my mare tense and did a quick dismount and as soon as my feet touched the ground she was swiftly backing and I had to go with her for a few moments to get her settled as I didn't want to jerk on her mouth. All was fine though. I respected them for what they were doing and was prepared.
    Then while riding with a group of horse riders on a local trail that is definitely multi-use...the horse I was on was at the end of the group, single file trail too. He wanted to rush forward twice and I couldn't figure it out. The third time he did so I looked and caught sight of a large yellow balloon! But it wasn't a balloon...on second look it was a bike rider wearing a bright yellow racing shirt. Fortunately again no harm done and everything was fine. I spoke the biker to be sure of his intentions and that he wanted to stay back and he finally understood what my horse's problem was. I asked the riders ahead to move over to give the biker a chance but they weren't interested and we were coming to a steep hill that we thought we would lose him anyway. Well he was quite hardy and kept up :-) Fortunately there was a trail just below us that he used and went on his way.
    Other multi-use trails where we've encountered bikers...the bikers have always been very courteous to us. But rather than being quiet and standing with your bike...it is *better* if bikers would talk to us! This enables the horse to realize it's a person and not some strange new tree or stump or whatever. Many times we initiate the conversation as folks don't realize it's better to talk to us than being quiet. "Nice day for a ride" "The weather is beautiful" "pretty horse" anything is better than nothing :-)

    The other night I had one of the miniatures out in the front yard so I could take some pictures. The little mare promptly trotted over to my brand new recumbent and decided to "taste" the chain. After I verbally chastized her she showed her thanks by gripping the chain in her teeth and then gave it a snap! No damage done but I certainly had a good laugh. Incidentally this same horse will be a perfect angel when my son-in-law shows her. But when I show her she fiidgets, taps me on the toes with her hoof, paws, squirms, tries to eat the lead shank, etc.

    'bent Brian
    My quesetion Brian is I know there's plenty of bike trails out there but how does one know whether the trail is multi-use or not? That horses are or are not allowed?
    Sure wished more bikers realize that we can co-exist...and yes, there are horse people out there that have problems too. Me, I enjoy multi-use trails :-)
    Sania

  4. #4
    'Bent Brian
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Wellington Ohio
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind
    Posts
    560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sania
    My quesetion Brian is I know there's plenty of bike trails out there but how does one know whether the trail is multi-use or not? That horses are or are not allowed?
    Sure wished more bikers realize that we can co-exist...and yes, there are horse people out there that have problems too. Me, I enjoy multi-use trails :-)
    Sania
    Sania,

    Where I live we have access to trails in the metropark system. These are designated as horse/walking trails only na d some of them are just for walking only and are posted as such. No wheeled vehicles are allowed on the horse trails, INCLUDING HORSE CARTS. However for special uses you can get permission to use horse carts on the trails if you do it as part of a clinic where you reserve the horse facilities for your group.

    Yes I did have several close encounters with cyclists, even as a cyclist myself. One situation comes to mind that even scares me as I think aboutit. I was grinding uphill on a city park trail in Bellingham Washington. The trails are shared with bikers and walkers, and even horses. I passed a man with two young girls, about 7 or 8 yeas old walking on the trail. They were walking three abreast and taking up the entire trail width. I was going very slowly (I was riding my road bike and that takes real finesse on trails) and announced my presence. They moved over a bit and let my by. A little farther up the trail was a blind corner, still uphill. As I rounded the corner I heard a noise and was nearly wiped out by a kamakzi mountian biker with a death wish (no offense to mountain bikers but this guy was insane, he should have been up in the woods on a logging road, not in a city park). He slammed on his brakes trying to avoid me, skidded and missed my by inches. He then started pouring it on going on down the hill. I've always wondered about those two kids and their father. That was my bad experience.

    I ride a Rans Tailwind recumbent, an American Quarter Horse, and I drive a double registered AMHA/AMHR miniature horse.

    "bent Brian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •