Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    HOWDOO??? From Upstate N.Y.

    Greetings to all from Upstate N.Y.
    RIDE TO LIVE,LIVE TO RIDE,ALWAYS WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Trek Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What part of Upstate NY, that covers alot of area.

  3. #3
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Rider
    What part of Upstate NY, that covers alot of area.
    Hey, I got a reprieve from the wife and am planning on doing my first century on Saturday, July 3rd. It's organized through the Rochester Bicycling Club;

    July 3
    9:00a #218 Independence Century
    31/57/85/100 mi Hilly

    Interested?

    -mark

  4. #4
    Senior Member Trek Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't decided yet on that one or the Pickle Store Promenade ride yet.

  5. #5
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Rider
    I haven't decided yet on that one or the Pickle Store Promenade ride yet.
    Do you know anything about the RBC ride? I don't ... it says hilly, but I'm not sure what that means.

    -mark

  6. #6
    Senior Member Trek Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It means you better bring your climbing legs. It wouldn't surprise me if there are climbs in the 12% grade, I know there is a downhill that is 16%. Without looking at a topo of the whole ride, there will be about 1100 feet of climbing in the first 5 miles or so. I'm goning to guess and say that there will be 6,500 feet climbing total.

  7. #7
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Rider
    It means you better bring your climbing legs. It wouldn't surprise me if there are climbs in the 12% grade, I know there is a downhill that is 16%. Without looking at a topo of the whole ride, there will be about 1100 feet of climbing in the first 5 miles or so. I'm goning to guess and say that there will be 6,500 feet climbing total.
    This sounds like the perfect warm up for the Highlander in September! I'm doomed ... but dammit I'll give it a shot.

    You wouldn't by chance have a map of the RBC rides? #218 specifically. I'm not a member and I would at least like to know where to meet.

    -mark

  8. #8
    Senior Member Trek Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what the ride description is:

    Regardless of which direction you want to leave Dansville, there is a climb involved, but it doesn't stop there. The route continues up and down for the entire ride. There are areas where it is a long way between watering holes, so make sure you have plenty of food and water when you get the chance in Canasaraga, Almond, Wellsville, Andover and Hornell. Bet you never knew there was a place called Independence, but don't count on finding much there. 31, 57 and 85 mile cuts are available should you decide to bail. This is not for the faint hearted.

    Start point is at Clara Barton Junior High School at maps are handed out to those that need them at the start.

    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&addtohistory=

    Plan on getting to the ride start about 15 minutes early. If the ride start is 9:00, we leave at 9:00 and late riders either ride alone or play catch-up.

    Almost every Wednesday at 6:00pm, we have a club ride that leaves Mendon Ponds (beach parking lot). You're welcome to show up and ride with us. If you like riding with us, you can always join and reap the benefits of membership.
    Last edited by Trek Rider; 06-21-04 at 09:47 PM.

  9. #9
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Rider
    Here is what the ride description is:

    Regardless of which direction you want to leave Dansville, there is a climb involved, but it doesn't stop there. The route continues up and down for the entire ride. There are areas where it is a long way between watering holes, so make sure you have plenty of food and water when you get the chance in Canasaraga, Almond, Wellsville, Andover and Hornell. Bet you never knew there was a place called Independence, but don't count on finding much there. 31, 57 and 85 mile cuts are available should you decide to bail. This is not for the faint hearted.

    Start point is at Clara Barton Junior High School at maps are handed out to those that need them at the start.

    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&addtohistory=

    Plan on getting to the ride start about 15 minutes early. If the ride start is 9:00, we leave at 9:00 and late riders either ride alone or play catch-up.

    Almost every Wednesday at 6:00pm, we have a club ride that leaves Mendon Ponds (beach parking lot). You're welcome to show up and ride with us. If you like riding with us, you can always join and reap the benefits of membership.

    Thanks for the info! I'll be there.

    My wife teaches aerobics at RIT and I've got the kids every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings. So, thank you for the invite, but it's unlikely I'll be able to join you guys.

    Hopefully we can catch up with each other at one of these outings. Come on out to the century on the 3rd!

    BTW, what exactly is the Pickle Store Promenade?

    -mark

  10. #10
    Senior Member Trek Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pickle Store Promenade:
    Leaving Webster Park this ride is mostly flat and uses quiet roads between Lake Ontario and Route 104. There is a delightful little store in Pultneyville that has great ice cream, homemade muffins and cookies as well as pizza, soups and sandwiches. You can either eat on their patio or hang out across the street in the park area, or go a couple miles further and check out Forman Park. If you are looking to shorten this 34 mile ride, any number of options will work.

    This Saturday at 10:00am we're doing a Canadaguia to Naples ride, another hilly ride but only 52 miles. Once you're in Naples the only way out..... is up. If you're intersted in that one, we meet at the sign in Parkway Plaza on 5 & 20.

  11. #11
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Rider
    ickle Store Promenade:
    Leaving Webster Park this ride is mostly flat and uses quiet roads between Lake Ontario and Route 104. There is a delightful little store in Pultneyville that has great ice cream, homemade muffins and cookies as well as pizza, soups and sandwiches. You can either eat on their patio or hang out across the street in the park area, or go a couple miles further and check out Forman Park. If you are looking to shorten this 34 mile ride, any number of options will work.

    This Saturday at 10:00am we're doing a Canadaguia to Naples ride, another hilly ride but only 52 miles. Once you're in Naples the only way out..... is up. If you're intersted in that one, we meet at the sign in Parkway Plaza on 5 & 20.

    I already have another commitment ... but thanks for asking. The PSP sounds a little too tame for my current training regimen (but sounds fun nonetheless).

    Are you guys doing bopple? My first ascent was three weeks ago and I'm not sure I've recovered yet

    -mark

  12. #12
    Senior Member Trek Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geneman

    Are you guys doing bopple? My first ascent was three weeks ago and I'm not sure I've recovered yet

    -mark
    Yeah we're doing Bopple......going down it on this ride.

    Last Saturday a few guys in the club, after riding from Mendon to Canandaigua, decided to go do Bopple, Gannett and Wheaton, and then ride back to Mendon. I haven't heard yet how they did.

  13. #13
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Rider
    Yeah we're doing Bopple......going down it on this ride.

    Last Saturday a few guys in the club, after riding from Mendon to Canandaigua, decided to go do Bopple, Gannett and Wheaton, and then ride back to Mendon. I haven't heard yet how they did.
    Ahhh! You're cheating!

    It's a tough, tough hill. Here's my account of my ascent from a post a few weeks ago ... here .

    Gannett looks tame by comparison, yet it's longer. I've never heard of Wheaton. The other one down there that's supposed to be a bear is Miller Hill, but I have no idea where it is.

    -mark

  14. #14
    Senior Member Trek Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geneman
    Ahhh! You're cheating!

    It's a tough, tough hill. Here's my account of my ascent from a post a few weeks ago ... here .
    You actually had the energy to say anything?

    Quote Originally Posted by geneman
    Gannett looks tame by comparison, yet it's longer. I've never heard of Wheaton. The other one down there that's supposed to be a bear is Miller Hill, but I have no idea where it is.
    My mistake, it was Bopple, Miller and Gannett. Miller is between Bopple and Wells Curtice along the lake.

  15. #15
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Rider
    You actually had the energy to say anything?



    My mistake, it was Bopple, Miller and Gannett. Miller is between Bopple and Wells Curtice along the lake.
    Aha! Found it on Mapquest. Just south of Deuel. Thanks. It doesn't appear to be much of a road. Looks like it loops back around to West Lake Road. Must be steep if it has garnered so much attention.

    -mark

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •