My name is Chris and I live in Buffalo New York. My whole life I have been in love with the gas pedal. I own a 4 year old truck, a Yamaha R-1 sportbike, and a 4-wheeler.
Recently I was slammed with a $2000 repair bill on a truck that shouldnt be needing repairs for years to come! I still have 2 years left @ $380 per month.
I love my motorcycle and I love my quad but I wouldnt mind wrapping my truck around a tree right now. I feel like the truck owns me more than I own it.
I want to live truck/car free as much as possible but there are many factors to overcome and hopefully I can find a few answers on this website.
1) I havn't owned a bicycle since I was 15 and that was a Dyno VFR. Not a bike that I would consider efficient. I am almost clueless as far as these high end bikes go. Can someone recommend me a bike that can reach semi-fast speeds and can also go off road? I want something ~$500 range because I might be mounting a small 80cc 2-stroke motor onto it, and I dont want to ruin a nicer bike. I am still undecided about this though.
2) Buffalo winters are BAD! How do you guys hack it through the snow and cold? I want to start riding a bicycle in the Spring so that I can gain experience before next winter. At the moment I don't see riding a bicycle during a Buffalo winter, feasible.
3) Many roads out here dont have sidewalks. Is riding on the shoulder safe from all the poor drivers out there? All it takes is one accident to ruin someones life.
4) How do you go grocery shopping/run errands/ etc.
5) How much does maintenance cost to keep these bikes in good working order?
6) Anyone other advice for someone who is trying to make a life decision and drive my truck as little as possible?