Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    True 'Newbie' to Cycling

    Hi all,

    Been interested in cycling for some time but never actually initiated it until recently. Hoping to obtain my first bike soon and gain more wisdom and insights about this hobby over time.


  2. #2
    Senior Member JeanSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central Quebec
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome ! But I hope it doesn't stay just a hobby for you, and becomes a lifestyle soon.

    Enjoy the forums !

  3. #3
    Cycling Enthusiast mi77915's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-2
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!!!

  4. #4
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! What kind of biking are you looking to get into?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!

    Well, and perhaps my vision of this might be wrong, but I am looking into a SS/FG (likely flipflop so I can transition if necessary). The reasons being that I would like to learn as much as I can about bike mechanics, anatomy, and physics theories. The SS/FG seemed like a very simplistic model to learn from and slowly expand toward fixed gears (probably cylcocross or mountain bikes).

    The other reason being that Mississippi is relatively flat. We don't have mountains, nor do I think what few we do have even qualify as 'hills'. Therefore, the SS/FG seem to have made sense from a commuter/utilitarianism standpoint along with the reduction in maintenance. I just want to ride...Lol.

    I have not really rode in awhile. I occasionally jump on my brother-in-law's bike around, but it is pretty difficult given that his bike frame is made for his 6' self versus my 5' 7" frame. As for the cylcocross/mountain bikes interest, we do have a crapload of trails and forests around here and it looked mighty appealing to take a dive into. Nearly everywhere I go (driving, biking, kayaking, etc.)....that is all there is in Mississippi except for the set locations where 'most' people live at.

  6. #6
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Posts
    13,792
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Bike Forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlieu View Post
    Hi all,

    Been interested in cycling for some time but never actually initiated it until recently. Hoping to obtain my first bike soon and gain more wisdom and insights about this hobby over time.

    Hobby??? It's more like an addiction.


    Quote Originally Posted by jlieu View Post
    Well, and perhaps my vision of this might be wrong, but I am looking into a SS/FG (likely flipflop so I can transition if necessary). The reasons being that I would like to learn as much as I can about bike mechanics, anatomy, and physics theories. The SS/FG seemed like a very simplistic model to learn from and slowly expand toward fixed gears (probably cylcocross or mountain bikes).

    The other reason being that Mississippi is relatively flat. We don't have mountains, nor do I think what few we do have even qualify as 'hills'. Therefore, the SS/FG seem to have made sense from a commuter/utilitarianism standpoint along with the reduction in maintenance. I just want to ride...Lol.

    I have not really rode in awhile. I occasionally jump on my brother-in-law's bike around, but it is pretty difficult given that his bike frame is made for his 6' self versus my 5' 7" frame. As for the cylcocross/mountain bikes interest, we do have a crapload of trails and forests around here and it looked mighty appealing to take a dive into. Nearly everywhere I go (driving, biking, kayaking, etc.)....that is all there is in Mississippi except for the set locations where 'most' people live at.
    I've seen cyclists in north FL (flat) and south GA (flat) riding over a highway overpass and are using all the gears they have to get up and over. You may want to rethink the gear thing.
    A cyclocross bike would be great for road riding and off-road riding.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  7. #7
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,948
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlieu View Post
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!

    Well, and perhaps my vision of this might be wrong, but I am looking into a SS/FG (likely flipflop so I can transition if necessary). The reasons being that I would like to learn as much as I can about bike mechanics, anatomy, and physics theories. The SS/FG seemed like a very simplistic model to learn from and slowly expand toward fixed gears (probably cylcocross or mountain bikes).

    The other reason being that Mississippi is relatively flat. We don't have mountains, nor do I think what few we do have even qualify as 'hills'. Therefore, the SS/FG seem to have made sense from a commuter/utilitarianism standpoint along with the reduction in maintenance. I just want to ride...Lol.

    I have not really rode in awhile. I occasionally jump on my brother-in-law's bike around, but it is pretty difficult given that his bike frame is made for his 6' self versus my 5' 7" frame. As for the cylcocross/mountain bikes interest, we do have a crapload of trails and forests around here and it looked mighty appealing to take a dive into. Nearly everywhere I go (driving, biking, kayaking, etc.)....that is all there is in Mississippi except for the set locations where 'most' people live at.
    Hey there! welcome aboard and enjoy your stay! that said, I think you might want gears just on account of you want to understand bike mechanics, a lot of it has to do with drive trains and derailers.. SS/fixed are simple in comparison and won't give you the range to dial in, but that's just an internet opinion
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dover, OH
    My Bikes
    85 Trek 400; Trek 420, 73 Fuji S10 S, Panasonic Sport 500
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

    I live in Ohio in a town that does not have a lot of hills but on my ride to work I could not go without gears, it has some serious hills.

    When I started working on bikes I converted a Schwinn Varsity to a single speed. I enjoyed the process but it limited me to riding that bike just in town...

    One point to consider is head wind or tail wind... If you are riding a strong head wind it helps to have a lower gear to switch to... And if you have a strong tail wind you might be able to switch to a higher gear to go faster... Just my 2 cents...

    Either way, "Just ride" and see for yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •