Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Where are my keys? sqrt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hi from Glasgow, UK

    Hi all

    Back in the saddle after a gap of around 14 years with my first *real* bike. I got myself a Specialized Hardrock Sport back in August 2004, and I've been on it pretty much everyday since then - mostly commuting to and from work (about a 5 mile round trip) and forest/riverside trails. I'm 29 and studying for a maths degree, whilst working part time in administration.

    I've been lurking here ever since the Kryptonite story broke back in September (like thousands of others I guess). I refrained from setting up an account at the time however I've been impressed by the wealth of information on the boards and by how friendly folk seem.

    Speak to some of you soon I hope...
    Hepl fghti enrtpoy

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome - I passed through Glasgow a couple of times in the 1960s. It was a pretty awful place then, but I read that it has much improved since, and I would like to visit again.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    Thorn Club Thorn
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, for London town myself, glad to have you on board, going down to Avimore for a week, end of this Month with 6 friends, test out our winter gear, before we do killimanjaro next year.

    My wife is from Scotland and I have never been there so I am really looking forward to it.

    I remember when I got back on a bike after a 20 year gap and rode off a few miles down the road in the summer a few years back, It started to rain and I got soaked, riding back wildly home I had a flashback of the same senario when I was a kid and remembered how much I enjoyed cycling, since then I am riding literally everyday and now my hoildays are riding in various countries touring which I absolutely love.

  4. #4
    Where are my keys? sqrt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLonghair
    Hi there, for London town myself, glad to have you on board, going down to Avimore for a week, end of this Month with 6 friends, test out our winter gear, before we do killimanjaro next year.
    Hi JoeLonghair. Sounds like your map's upside down - aren't you travelling *up* to Aviemore . I remember there used to be a great pub in Aviemore called the Skiing-Do, but afaik it closed some years ago. Shame really because they had a fantastic range of shooters and cocktails. I found many a niche there back in 1992 (I was just under legal drinking age - sssh!). Happy times. I hope you enjoy your trip. Likewise Killimanjaro - sounds like a bit of an epic journey.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLonghair
    I remember when I got back on a bike after a 20 year gap and rode off a few miles down the road in the summer a few years back, It started to rain and I got soaked, riding back wildly home I had a flashback of the same senario when I was a kid and remembered how much I enjoyed cycling, since then I am riding literally everyday and now my hoildays are riding in various countries touring which I absolutely love.
    I had a similar epiphany last summer. I can't think why it's taken me so long to embrace cycling again. It just makes so much sense.
    Hepl fghti enrtpoy

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    Thorn Club Thorn
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you are right its up to Avimore, and then back down to the smog. any how cant wait, will be the first time in Scotland, which is pretty disgusting since my wife of 25 years is from Bells hill, better late than never I suppose....

  6. #6
    Where are my keys? sqrt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLonghair
    yeah you are right its up to Avimore, and then back down to the smog. any how cant wait, will be the first time in Scotland, which is pretty disgusting since my wife of 25 years is from Bells hill, better late than never I suppose....
    Wow man it's a small world. I'm from Tannochside which is about a mile from Bellshill. Hell, I was born in Bellshill Maternity Hospital.
    Hepl fghti enrtpoy

  7. #7
    The Flying Scot chewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    North Queensferry Scotland and London (and France)
    My Bikes
    Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more
    Posts
    1,903
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a fellow Scot.

    I'm generally only in Glasgow for courses or football games (c'mon the hoops!) and for the Glasgow -Edinburgh cycle ride, as I work in Edinburgh.

    Glasgow is a great city!
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

    1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
    1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
    1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
    2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
    (YES I LIKE STEEL)
    2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
    2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
    2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    Thorn Club Thorn
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrt0
    Wow man it's a small world. I'm from Tannochside which is about a mile from Bellshill. Hell, I was born in Bellshill Maternity Hospital.
    small world allright, my wife was also born ther as well....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •