Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    TREK 1800c
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hi from San Antonio Texas

    My name is Richard. Nickname Fumbles was a high school nickname when I kept fumbling the football in my short lived JV football career. (To bad I didn't take up cycling back then.) But I rekindled the nickname from my wife when I took a spill on the last day of the MS150 in April from Houston to Austin and broke my collar bone, shattered my elbow and had a slight concussion. However, I knew this sport was for me when more upset that I wasn't going to finish but knowing that I was going to enter it again the next year and finish.

    Almost a year later I invested in a TREK 1800c, average about 120 miles a week during the winter months, follow a work out cycling program, have already planned my riding events calendar for 2005 and have secretly vowed to myself to do the across america bike ride when I turn 50 in three more years. Oh ya, I registered for the 2005 MS150 Houston to Austin back in December. I already did the MS150 from SA to Corpus Christe 154 miles.

    That's the introduction and look forward to reading some good advice in this forum.

    Fumbles (Richard)

  2. #2
    Fastest rider in my house
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

    I'm also in San Antonio, and I'm working my way back into shape for the MS150 to Corpus in October.

    Do you by chance ride with the San Antonio Wheelmen? I just joined them, and they have some fun group rides.

    Are you doing the Easter Hill Country Tour in Kerrville this year? This will be my first time, and a buddy and I are doing the 55 - like I said, I'm still working my way back into cycling. I just started again last July, and I still have a lot of gut to lose before I can really handle the longer distances.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lonestar1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    south central Texas
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums.
    "...You ask me what I like about
    Texas? Well I'd tell ya', but we could
    be here...all night long."

  4. #4
    chicharron
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles
    My name is Richard. Nickname Fumbles was a high school nickname when I kept fumbling the football in my short lived JV football career. (To bad I didn't take up cycling back then.) But I rekindled the nickname from my wife when I took a spill on the last day of the MS150 in April from Houston to Austin and broke my collar bone, shattered my elbow and had a slight concussion. However, I knew this sport was for me when more upset that I wasn't going to finish but knowing that I was going to enter it again the next year and finish.

    Almost a year later I invested in a TREK 1800c, average about 120 miles a week during the winter months, follow a work out cycling program, have already planned my riding events calendar for 2005 and have secretly vowed to myself to do the across america bike ride when I turn 50 in three more years. Oh ya, I registered for the 2005 MS150 Houston to Austin back in December. I already did the MS150 from SA to Corpus Christe 154 miles.

    That's the introduction and look forward to reading some good advice in this forum.

    Fumbles (Richard)
    bienvenidos. I was in San Antonio in the summer of 2003, for a visit for the first time. We really liked it. Esp the botanical gardens in West San Antonio

  5. #5
    Recumbent Ninja
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Driveby. There's another guy in SA with that handle, although he's a complete idiot. You seem like a very together guy. Hopefull I'll meet you on the road one day!

    Welcome to all Texas bikers, by the way!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Texas dirt road
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,
    You are in good company with your MS150 collarbone. A co-worker crashed last year in the MS150 to Corpus and broke his collar bone. I think it was about 30 folks that rode last year from where I work. I may do the first day this year, still undecided.

    Anyway , glad to hear from another TEXAN!

    Robert

  7. #7
    Junior Member VTXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Vermont
    My Bikes
    Jet Stream Action Bent.
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Fumbies, I'm riding in the MS150 for the first time this April. I'm flying by Action Bent in with me from Vermont. Thinking my "eyes may be bigger than my stomach". But once you see my midriff you would think I'm surely mistaken. Coached at New Braunfels Canyon for 9years and have close friends in the Kink William section of S.A. The absolutely most fabulous major city in the U.S. The summers are a tad bit warm though. And no real inclines. Now Vermont has a couple hills.

    I can't even imagine the S.A. to Corpus ride. I'll take a hill to a head wind any day. Have no Idea how I'd find you in the throng of riders in Houston but Im fairly sure that I'll be the only one from VT. I'll post a flag on my pole.

    Where did you play ball?

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Near San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medina Lake area here.

  9. #9
    The Question Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where'd you go to high school?


    Clark 2004 in the house!

  10. #10
    Smooth like Butt'r supreemo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    03 Bianchi Veloce in celeste
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was in the "ATX" (heard that on the radio while i was out there) last year for the Ride for the Roses.. beautiful ride!

  11. #11
    Fastest rider in my house
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aikigreg
    Hey Driveby. There's another guy in SA with that handle, although he's a complete idiot. You seem like a very together guy. Hopefull I'll meet you on the road one day!

    Welcome to all Texas bikers, by the way!


    How ya doin, Greg. Good to see a fellow golfer here, even if now I have to put up with you on yet another forum.

  12. #12
    Ravnhaus ravnhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    My Bikes
    '05 Gary Fisher Tassajara, '94 GF Tassajara, Trek 730 MultiTracker
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy from South Austin!
    It has been a great few days for biking here. I have been out everyday for a week now. You gotta love Texas weather... at least this time of the year.
    05 Gary Fisher Tassajara
    94 Gary Fisher Tassajara
    homepage.mac.com/ravnhaus

  13. #13
    On Your Right ZackJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    1,422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I used to live and love riding in San Antonio when I was stationed at Randolph AFB. Years ago there was a bike club called SABRC (San Antonio Bike Racing Club) is it still around?

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    TREK 1800c
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driveby,
    Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner. Ya, I ride with the SAW. Did a great ride today- Big Joshua Creek. Challenging hills but worth working up to. I will be in the Easter Hill ride. Ridding the 70 miler and the 105. At least that's my goal. Also I started in July and try to work out during the week to continue building up my speed. What bike do you ride and vehicle do you drive. I drive a red mazda protege.

    I entered the Pedal thru the Pines for this coming weekend.

    See you out there. Keep riding.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    TREK 1800c
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played at Holy Cross. If you come any other time to San Antonio look up this site http://www.sawheelmen.com/ and plan your ride. We ride every weekend with a good group of various speeds.

    I think it would be great to ride in another state. My son is getting married in New Jerseys so I already have the bike club site marked as a favorite to plan my rides in between.

    Ride strong and I'll look up what the Vermont flag looks like and look for you on the MS 150. I will be with Team Wells Fargo.

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    TREK 1800c
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheebahmunkey
    Where'd you go to high school?


    Clark 2004 in the house!
    Holy Cross but (god!) 28 years ago in 1976.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •