Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/)
-   -   Returning to Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/895024-returning-cycling.html)

Randolfo 06-11-13 05:38 AM

Returning to Cycling
 
Hello my name is Randy. I live in Northern Kentucky, and I am trying to get back into cycling. I currently own a very frustrating Magna mountain bike, which has actually caused me to do something I have not done in a long time, lose my temper. I am in the market to purchase a new bicycle, and I always do better when I give myself a goal. My goal is to try some randonneuring after I shed some of these pounds.

10 Wheels 06-11-13 06:13 AM

Hi Randy, Welcome to Bike Forums. Have fun with your new bike search.

qcpmsame 06-11-13 06:55 AM

Hello Randy, welcome to BF. Surf a few of the forums here and see which ones best suit your interests. The Long Distance Cycling Forum might be a good place to start out.

Bill

Randolfo 06-11-13 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15729293)
Hello Randy, welcome to BF. Surf a few of the forums here and see which ones best suit your interests. The Long Distance Cycling Forum might be a good place to start out.

Bill

It was my search that actually brought me here. I am looking at steel bikes for some eventual randonneuring. However, I do not have the funds for a purpose built bike. I did post a question on that forum already, and it was about a particular bike. I do appreciate the welcome.

MRT2 06-11-13 12:09 PM

Welcome, Randy. I can appreciate your search for steel bikes. That is my preference as well. The only good thing about riding a Magna is, just about any quality bike will be a huge improvement.

qcpmsame 06-11-13 05:27 PM

Randy,
You might look in the Classic and Vintage Forum if you haven't already. Their For Sale section may have a used frame for a decent price you could use for a build within your budget. Just a thought.

Bill

Randolfo 06-12-13 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRT2 (Post 15730534)
Welcome, Randy. I can appreciate your search for steel bikes. That is my preference as well. The only good thing about riding a Magna is, just about any quality bike will be a huge improvement.


All the threads that heap the hate on this brand, are absolutely right. I do my best to steer people away. I have replaced many of the parts with the most bottom rung stuff, only to improve the bike greatly.

Randolfo 06-12-13 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15731716)
Randy,
You might look in the Classic and Vintage Forum if you haven't already. Their For Sale section may have a used frame for a decent price you could use for a build within your budget. Just a thought.

Bill

I will give that a try as well. Not to mention here in Louisville we have Vic's Classic Bikes, and he seems to sell some nice vintage stuff. After all, who needs indexed shifting?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 AM.